Huge RCMP Roadcheck

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Huge RCMP Roadcheck

Post by Donald G »

To ToddT and Madhue ...

Using tried and true police tactics to arrest a child abuser in a traffic check is not NOT luck.

How do you think that the majority of wanted persons are eventually caught ??

The male in Dawson Creek who abused the little girl and then released her and the similar creep in Calgary who kidnapped the little girl were both caught as a result of traffic checks. Luck is the last word that should be used to identify why a wanted person was arrested as a result of a road check. Doesn't match TV but it IS reality.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

Donald G wrote:To ToddT and Madhue ...

Using tried and true police tactics to arrest a child abuser in a traffic check is not NOT luck.

How do you think that the majority of wanted persons are eventually caught ??

The male in Dawson Creek who abused the little girl and then released her and the similar creep in Calgary who kidnapped the little girl were both caught as a result of traffic checks. Luck is the last word that should be used to identify why a wanted person was arrested as a result of a road check. Doesn't match TV but it IS reality.

What tried and true police work was that? Cast a big enough net a hope to catch something?

Your logic would suggest that if Revenue Canada stops 7000 vehicles audits everyone in those vehicles, they'd catch someone who cheated on their taxes in the past 10 years.... That's not tried and true police work, that's the Laws of Probabilty.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

We aren't talking about past taxes, etc. There are ways to catch them. Government has all your numbers, and know where to find you for that. If you don't believe that, just try not paying taxes, and see that they in fact can find you very easily. How do you think these criminals could be caught then, if this is one way that produces results, ( just look at the numbers)? I'm sorry if you were held up for a time, like everyone else.
So, again, how do you propose to catch people who can not be easily caught otherwise? Or do we just let everyone just do their thing, and hope they all eventually turn themselves in?
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

jamapple wrote:
So, again, how do you propose to catch people who can not be easily caught otherwise? Or do we just let everyone just do their thing, and hope they all eventually turn themselves in?

I think your missing the glowing part of what I've been saying, either by choice or otherwise... violating my Freedoms is not an effective form of Policing. Disrupting potentially 10,000 ( 7,000 vehicles and some had to have more than one passenger) people and preforming an inspection on them is a violation of "Security of Person" I wave that Right if I commit a crime or been suspected of committing a Crime and allowed due process... like I said earlier Canadians have become sedated that waving Their Rights for the greater good... and that's a fallacy of sheep.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

I have no problem with the way it was handled. I was waived in with my highly modified very customized vehicle. The DOT was very polite, asked for my DL, and explained what was going on. Looked at my rear license plate and asked if the info on my DL was correct and up to date, then sent me on my way.

The modifications are done professionally and safe but they could have gone threw everything and turned it into a nightmare. Have talked to others I know that had a similar experience. They even added humor to lessen the tension.

I'm under the impression the road check was for a different purpose.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Still no answer Madhue. I get it that you take exception to being stopped, and asked a few questions. I understand that. I just wanted you to simply answer a question. If this is a way that produces results, but is frowned upon by some, what do you think they should do to catch these free walking criminals? Very simple question,but an answer of, I dunno.....just leave me alone in the process isn't a fair answer.
Let's try this again.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

jamapple wrote:Still no answer Madhue. I get it that you take exception to being stopped, and asked a few questions. I understand that. I just wanted you to simply answer a question. If this is a way that produces results, but is frowned upon by some, what do you think they should do to catch these free walking criminals? Very simple question,but an answer of, I dunno.....just leave me alone in the process isn't a fair answer.
Let's try this again.

Let's clear that one up quickly, I was waved through twice, I drive a newer vehicle and I'm a white male...my windshield looks like I just came back from Syria and my insurance was expired by two days.

I wasn't fined or pulled over. I'm not bitter and not yet chalking it up as white priviallge.
I'm not sure what your question is, if it's do I think crinials play by the rules, the answer is no.... They are fricking crinimnals.... Do expect law enforcement and Governing bodies to play by the rules? Hell yes! Why is that so hard to grasp?
Now why are you so willing to give up your rights as a canadian?
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Another thread has me thinking now,,, how many if any cyclists were stopped and checked for brakes, tread ware, lights/reflectors, etc. ???
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

OK...no clear answer. This is Canada,where you are entitled to your opinion, and I respect you for that. I don't want to be selected for a search, or inspection, either, but I can see no other way to stop these people than to do this. I just think of it more like an inconvenience, and you think of it as having your liberties squashed.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Im surprised there is not as many speed traps at the bridge in Kelowna.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Would be a payday wouldn't it? I'm surprised, too. Hard to do 60 on the Bennett Bumpy Bridge.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Madhue ...

And what "rights" do you give up at a police roadblock that cause you so much gnashing of teeth and desire to have a different policing system in Canada ?? Millions from across the world would trade places with you in an instant.

Sounds like the police trusted you and you let everyone down who counts on other drivers to do what is required to make our roads as safe as possible. Given that the police do not have resources to check EVERY vehicle, it was your failing, not theirs.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

jamapple wrote:Would be a payday wouldn't it? I'm surprised, too. Hard to do 60 on the Bennett Bumpy Bridge.

I don't really care about how bumpy it is...they already said it was designed like that for winter in mind..

Ill Admit I go over that bridge 10-15 KM over but then I get blown right by like im standing still? Sheesh. Just don't get stuck in the middle lane going 60km!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Madhue wrote:

What tried and true police work was that? Cast a big enough net a hope to catch something?

Your logic would suggest that if Revenue Canada stops 7000 vehicles audits everyone in those vehicles, they'd catch someone who cheated on their taxes in the past 10 years.... That's not tried and true police work, that's the Laws of Probabilty.

That is all it was....an exercise in the laws of probability......not good police work. I have no problem being asked for my DL and my plate checked for valid insurance. In fact, I am subject to that several times a day every day when we have to cross the weigh scales. But that takes 30 seconds. Where my rights and freedoms were trampled was in the length of time I was inconvenienced for such a simple task. In essence, because of the length of time it took, I feel that I was actually detained without just cause or reason. As I said in an earlier post, this poorly planned and executed road check cost me 6 hrs of time and a half in wages for my trucks. That's a little over $300 that I am just supposed to suck up and accept for this form of police work? Any one care to try and calculate how many thousands of litres of fuel were wasted by 7000 vehicles idling on the hwy for an hour?

If I, and the multitude of other commercial operators were allowed to submit bills to the RCMP for these losses stemming from unnecessary detainment, you can bet they would come up with a more efficient and expedient method of screening bulk traffic.

This wasn't smart police work, it was lazy police work with an absolute disconnect to what the true cost of their actions were on the travelling public and commercial operators. If they want to do this sort of thing, I don't think my company budget should be funding it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To two bits ...

The opportunity to enjoy the wonderful standard of life we have in Canada is a matter of give and take. You seem to think that we can have the positive side of living here without having to make a contribution in the form of inconvenience at times. Roadblocks to help nab drunks, unlicensed drivers, unsafe vehicles, uninsured drivers, prohibited drivers, outstanding warrants etc etc etc is part of the down side. I wonder if or how many times such roadblocks have prevented damage, injury or death to you and yours ??

Theory vs reality.

Return to “North Okanagan”