Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Post by Gixxer »

Loki2u wrote:Not sure if this has been asked before....but I'm curious if there are any stats out there as far as how many vehicles actually turn left from Stickle Road on a daily basis?

I'd be interested to see what kind of numbers we are looking at, maybe it would provide some more insight (to myself anyways) into some of the reasoning behind the ideas being proposed.

Its a great and very informative read.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/drivin ... review.pdf
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

[
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/drivin ... review.pdf[/quote]

this deal is a classic example of why government expenses are always off the dial - this survey is a gross waste of money
and displays total incompetence of the whole MOT organization. If we have to hire private business to gather and format such informations - why do we need the MOT planning committee
we should be able to go back 3 years -forgive all the meetings- all the surveys- the 2 million or whatever this useless report cost us and have installed a stop lite and better merge lanes and everyone would be better off and happy
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

They hired a 3rd private company. and that company confirmed that a road to Rona was the safest solution. Put a fork in it, its a done deal.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Gixxer wrote:They hired a 3rd private company. and that company confirmed that a road to Rona was the safest solution. Put a fork in it, its a done deal.

not true. plus there was no need to waste money on this ridiculous report;;you need to understand the context of my last post to respond . its a typical government BS waste of time and money deal
like I said had they simply put the lite in and merg lanes 3 years ago based on all the rhetoric since it would have been free
why have a MOT planning centre if they resort to this ridiculous total waste of money tactic
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

What are you talking about? A 3rd party confirmed that rear end accidents would go up by 60% if they installed a light at that intersection.

I get you would prefer the cheap fix over the safest one but this is the best solution possible.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Gixxer wrote:What are you talking about? A 3rd party confirmed that rear end accidents would go up by 60% if they installed a light at that intersection.

I get you would prefer the cheap fix over the safest one but this is the best solution possible.

one word for this report; waste of time and money report BS and :cuss: them
that's so ridiculous well its ridiculous
one thing I will add traffic need to slow to 80 or under after weigh scale going south and north before
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

dontrump wrote:one word for this report; waste of time and money report BS and :cuss: them
that's so ridiculous well its ridiculous
one thing I will add traffic need to slow to 80 or under after weigh scale going south and north before

Why did you need to use 9 words after claiming there was only "one word for this report"

The last sentence, if you could call it that, is worse than any accident you could ever see on Stickle road.

I don't even.....
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

dontrump wrote: I will add traffic need to slow to 80 or under after weigh scale going south and north before

Why? Its a highway its meant for driving at 80kph
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

It's on the edge of town. It's meant for slowing down.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

bob vernon wrote:It's on the edge of town. It's meant for slowing down.

Really? Last time I drove by it was 80 kpm, and its been like that for years.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Shouldn't we be slowing down when we get to the edge of town? Or should we increase the speed limit through town to 70?
By the way, there was a head on collison on top of the overpass last weekend. High speed going through the dips on the ramp got a car out of control and he went into the oncoming lane.

The new road behind Rona is going to be called Eric Foster Way.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bob vernon wrote:Shouldn't we be slowing down when we get to the edge of town? Or should weincrease the speed limit through town to 70?
By the way, there was a head on collison on top of the overpass last weekend. High speed going through the dips on the ramp got a car out of control and he went into the oncoming lane.

The new road behind Rona is going to be called Eric Foster Way.

For those turning off/going under overpass they would slowing at point of off lane... those continuing on hwy will slowing down some time past the overpass.
So no to slowing down at Stickle Rd, unless you are turning at Stickle.

Why does Eric Foster always look like a deer in the headlights. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

moekat

Post by moekat »

I believe slowing the traffic down substantially at Stickle Rd. will more create problems that it will solve. The traffic at peak times would back up past Swan Lake in the north or to the bridge in the south based on flow rates. A traffic circle or 50 km speed limits are not going to solve anything. If the ministry would get there heads out of the sand and find a route around Vernon instead of temporary fixes many issues would be solved.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Ugh indeed. What does Victoria's Andrew Weaver know about sewage treatment & environmental protection? Let's worry about something that matters - Swan Lake is a cesspool, and this tiny bit of marginal wetland will be replaced. 20th Street was always in city plans for extension, but the City didn't want to be the only jurisdiction paying for it.

The lack of community sewer in Greater Vernon is something the Green Party ought to get behind. Apparently their judgment is clouded by an Area D resident who takes it upon herself to drive 45 minutes along a highway to come to Vernon to protest this and that, write letters to the Editor of our local paper, etc. She also attended Liquid Waste Management Plan meetings in an effort to thwart the extension of community sewer to all areas of our City, including the 1000 or so homes remaining on septic above Okanagan Lake. Unfortunately, she left the meeting before the officials could explain that we'd need about 32 "green" sewage plants to replace the 1 plant we have currently, and that would require so much space and money, it is impractical to say the least.

I'm all about green solutions, but I'm also all about fiscal prudence, and solutions that make sense, not just sound good. The cheapest way to address the Stickle Pickle, without impacting the wetland at all, is to NOT ALLOW LEFT TURNS. You simply don't stop highway traffic for a handful of folks who chose to live in an RV park on a highway with crappy access, and you don't stop highway traffic because some idiot needs to turn left, when there is a perfectly suited alternative already available, that takes perhaps an extra 20 seconds. Of course the people on PV Road don't want more traffic either, but that $9.5 million could also go a long ways towards establishing community sewer and protecting our waterways from our own filth.

Promoting walking and biking along this busy stretch of highway is asking for a fatality. Better to focus on safer options, on paths or alternate roads well-separated from traffic.
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."

Return to “North Okanagan”