Kraft Hockeyville Voting this weekend

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Kraft Hockeyville Voting this weekend

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:If it's in Lumby only like 400 people will be able to attend. That would leave most of the village out in the cold.

Thats why having it at Kal Tire Place makes sense.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

There's talk about Kelowna as an option as well. I'm sure those in Lumby wouldn't be opposed to being able to share their victory with as many as possible, while ensuring sufficient seating those all Lumby residents who choose to go.

Their arena still gets the entire $100k for upgrades and the title of Hockeyville...the game is icing on the cake.

I have a good friend whose family lives in Lumby (she's since left) but rallied to get others to vote. I personally submitted a few hundred votes during both rounds of voting. There are lots of other people who contributed to the success that aren't strictly from that community.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Always Sunny wrote:There's talk about Kelowna as an option as well. I'm sure those in Lumby wouldn't be opposed to being able to share their victory with as many as possible, while ensuring sufficient seating those all Lumby residents who choose to go.

Their arena still gets the entire $100k for upgrades and the title of Hockeyville...the game is icing on the cake.

I have a good friend whose family lives in Lumby (she's since left) but rallied to get others to vote. I personally submitted a few hundred votes during both rounds of voting. There are lots of other people who contributed to the success that aren't strictly from that community.

As long as all those able & want to go from Lumby area get seats first. Transportation for those who need or want it at minimum if any charge.
Then by all means, 6,600 seat arena would be good.

(Added: off topic when arena was built it should have been 10,000 seat arena, in my opinion)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

GordonH wrote:Added: off topic when arena was built it should have been 10,000 seat arena, in my opinion)

Off topic as well, however, I just wanted to make a comment regarding your suggestion that Vernon should have built a 10,000 seat arena. How many sell outs does the current facility have per year? Is it booked on a regular basis for other events besides Vipers games? I think Penticton is a great facility that is well managed. Superb mix of top notch concerts, events, shows and of course hockey. Something seems to be missing with Vernon's arena - not sure if it's management or what it is. If you can't sell out 6600 you certainly will never sell 10,000 seats out. I also know that a lot of folks from Vernon and north area attend concerts in Penticton - perhaps arena management should be paying attention.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Added: off topic when arena was built it should have been 10,000 seat arena, in my opinion)

southy wrote:Off topic as well, however, I just wanted to make a comment regarding your suggestion that Vernon should have built a 10,000 seat arena. How many sell outs does the current facility have per year? Is it booked on a regular basis for other events besides Vipers games? I think Penticton is a great facility that is well managed. Superb mix of top notch concerts, events, shows and of course hockey. Something seems to be missing with Vernon's arena - not sure if it's management or what it is. If you can't sell out 6600 you certainly will never sell 10,000 seats out. I also know that a lot of folks from Vernon and north area attend concerts in Epenticton - perhaps arena management should be paying attention.

Which arena in the valley seats 6,600 for hockey game now, that is the arena I was referring to that should have built to seat 10,000.
Hint its in Kelowna
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Always Sunny wrote:There's talk about Kelowna as an option as well. I'm sure those in Lumby wouldn't be opposed to being able to share their victory with as many as possible, while ensuring sufficient seating those all Lumby residents who choose to go.

GordonH wrote:As long as all those able & want to go from Lumby area get seats first. Transportation for those who need or want it at minimum if any charge.
Then by all means, 6,600 seat arena would be good.

(Added: off topic when arena was built it should have been 10,000 seat arena, in my opinion)

That's why I stated that it would be a nice idea while ensuring any Lumby resident wanting to go would have a seat. I would never suggest moving the event to Kelowna and then not making sure the community wasn't looked after first.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Thanks for the clarification Gordon - wasn't sure about 6600. That being said - I don't see Kelowna's PP selling out either. Again thanks for the clarity.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Kamloops would be a good place for the game too, though I like the idea of Vernon best.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Too bad they don't have "Hockeyville" in January ...

Lumby deserves a NHL pre season game and I'm sure the "boys" wouldn't mind playing on a frozen pond that seats more for their hard core fans...

Too bad that can't happen , huh ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i would like to know what happened to the hockeyville money west kelowna got a few years ago.the only change to the arena is they took out the seats behind the net and up on the walk way.i have a feeling the city squandered the money.there was talk of buying a new clock and a sign out on the highway to advertise games but neither of those happened.i hope lumby does better.
dorito
Fledgling

Post by dorito »

voice of reason wrote:i would like to know what happened to the hockeyville money west kelowna got a few years ago.the only change to the arena is they took out the seats behind the net and up on the walk way.i have a feeling the city squandered the money.there was talk of buying a new clock and a sign out on the highway to advertise games but neither of those happened.i hope lumby does better.

Remember West Kelowna only got $25,000 because they came in second place. That was how it was run back then. That money paid for a new score clock in Jim Lind arena as well as I believe some upgrades in the washrooms and Jim Lind. $25,000 does t go very far. The sign on the highway idea was so dumb to start with and I'm glad they didn't use it for that

ETA-congrats to Lumby! I personally think the game should be played in Lumby or Vernon
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I've talked to quite a few Lumbonians about this issue. Where to hold the game? Most believe Vernon is the place because it's close enough and big enough. The tickets should go on sale in Lumby for a few days and then be available to non-Lumby residents after that. Travel to Kelowna is just too far, and most Lumbonians who I talked too, think these calls for the game in Kelowna is just typical of Kelowna greed. Believe it or not, a lot of people outside Kelowna dislike Kelowna. Kind of like the way most Canadians dislike Toronto and its self-centredness.

The game obviously can't be held in Lumby. Vernon is the best compromise. And who gets the gate money from this game? After expenses there will be a significant piece of money. The bulk should be for the Lumby rink. This is the lone argument for holding the game in Kelowna. Money, as usual.

As far as the game itself, don't expect to see a lineup loaded with NHL regulars. It will be between farmhands with perhaps 5 NHL regulars on each team.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It will be near the middle of pre-season, which means there will be at least some regulars in the line-up. I want to slap the person who suggested it be in Kelowna. May as well have it in Vancouver at that point. Even more money cha-ching.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I suspect the NHL has a contingency plan for all smaller rinks should they be chosen. And Vernon would be more appropriate if a change should be made at all. Kelowna's not right.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

From the Official Kraft Hockeyville Rules as posted online.:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/khv2016-live/static/docs/Kraft_Hockeyville_2016_CDN_Rules-en.pdf
----------------------
In order for the Home Arena to be used for the Game, it must:
• be outfitted with artificial ice;
• meet the NHL® and NHLPA's standards (in their sole discretion);
• be available and able to be used five (5) days prior to and on the date of the Game which shall take place on a date between September 2, 2016 and October 4, 2016 to be chosen by Sponsors in their sole and absolute discretion; and
• be located within a radius of 200 km from an airport which meets the requirements of the usual air carrier of the NHL® member teams. Without limiting the foregoing, the runway must be at least 6,000 feet.
If the Home Arena does not meet all requirements outlined above, the Grand Prize Winning Community will host the Game at the nearest alternative arena that meets all such requirements, to be selected by Sponsors in their sole and absolute discretion,
after consultation with the entrant (the “Alternative Arena”). If the Game is played at an Alternative Arena, the $100,000 in arena upgrades will still be awarded to the Home Arena nominated by the entrant and not to the Alternative Arena.
Sponsors will determine in their sole and absolute discretion if the entrant is eligible to participate in the Competition, if the Game can be played at the Home Arena and if the appropriate authorizations and arena information can be obtained from the owners of the Home Arena and/or the Alternative Arena, if applicable.
NHL®
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.

Return to “North Okanagan”