Home owner confronting possible thief?

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Home owner confronting possible thief?

Post by Hassel99 »

westside105 wrote: *removed*

The story written elsewhere which I can not link to is that he was at an out of town grad party and was supposed to be staying with this friend, they got separated and he was looking for the friends address.

Makes sense because frankly I did the same thing a few times as a youth.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Everyone in Canada, including the police, are limited to using "ONLY AS MUCH FORCE AS NECESSARY" to stop a person from committing an offense or arrest a person under the authority of a citizens arrest (which is very limited compared to a police officers powers of arrest).

This is not Texas where protection of your home warrants killing a trespasser.

A person who simply walks into a driveway and, according to his body communication, can not be determined to intend to do anything else has NOT committed any offense. "Skulking" is required for trespassing. Standing does not cut it.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

OMG Hassle99...the story just gets worse...
Blackhyper

Post by Blackhyper »

Like I stated earlier I am not at liberty to say anything that is not my place. If you reread everything I posted you can get a better picture than the assumptions that are rampant. Calling the victim of a murder a theif for no reason other than he was out at 4:300 in the morning is ignorant. There is a full investigation and the police are tracking Jessie's whereabouts earlier in the evening. I am sure it will all come out but I'm not going to just sit here and let a bunch of people of questionable intelligence call Jessie a theif. Nowhere was it stated that he had or was doing anything wrong. If you stop long enough to gather all the readily available information you can have a much better idea of what happened. I don't have all the information myself that is why I will not make any conclusive statements. From all the information available you can determine this

Jessie was at a grad party earlier in the night.
Jessie was in a driveway early that morning and may have been disoriented.
Kristopher Teichrieb saw Jessie in his driveway and grabbed a bat and confront Jessie
Jessie ran away down the street but for some reason could not outrun the much older man
Kristopher Teichrieb Beat Jessie with a baseball bat fracturing many facial bones and splitting his skull essentially killing him.
Kristopher Teichrieb Had told neighbors he had break ins
Character witnesses state Kristopher Teichrieb Allegedly has anger issues
Character witnesses state Jessie is a good kid and a joy to be around

Is it really that hard to believe Jessie was in the wrong place at the wrong time and fell victim to a man angry about past events unrelated to Jessie. If I'm missing something please let me know.
Last edited by Blackhyper on Jun 22nd, 2016, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It could be a tragic example of what happens when a person jumps to conclusions and takes violent action on the basis of something that has not happened or, in their mind, has happened at another time and place between other people.

The police encounter such situations on a regular basis. It is because the RCMP abide by only escalating violence when it is CLEARLY WARRANTED that a lot of "innocent" people do not get injured and killed.

There are exceptions where the police misread the situation or blow their cool, but they are few and far between given the large number of such incidents that they encounter. Good for Canada.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Hassel99 wrote:Kris Tecichrieb has been charged with attempted murder, odds are this will be updated to 1st degree murder.

I'll take those odds. You do understand the criteria for a 1st degree murder charge right? I have no doubt the charges will be upgraded, but no way will it be 1st degree.

People with tempers like that are nothing short of developmentally delayed. Most of us learned to control our emotions (temper) as young children and master it during puberty.

Very sorry for the family of the victim :(
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

First Degree murder is allowed as a charge when the murder took place while committing intimidation.

Chasing a teenager down the road with a baseball bat fits that in my mind...I am clearly not a lawyer so who knows..
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Hassel99 wrote:First Degree murder is allowed as a charge when the murder took place while committing intimidation.

Chasing a teenager down the road with a baseball bat fits that in my mind...I am clearly not a lawyer so who knows..

I hope you are correct. My understanding of 1st degree is that it must be premeditated. I'd think that would also apply to an intimidation scenario. By yeah, I'm certainly no expert either.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Given the number of "deals" that are made between Crown and Defense lawyers, I would be very surprised if the charge eventually settled on has very much to do with what happened. How do you prove that the accused "intended" to kill the victim?
My guess is criminal negligence with a 5 to 7 year sentence. Perhaps less.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Expected to seek bail

Charged with attempted murder after an altercation that left a Savona teen on life support, Kristopher Teichrieb is expected to appear in court Thursday, June 23, seeking bail.

Jessie Simpson, 18, remains in RIH in a coma with his family at his side and, at last word, is not expected to survive.
more here:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/1 ... -seek-bail
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Just think how much better things would have turned out if the homeowner had been carrying a can of bear spray instead of a bat.
Black Dogs Matter
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Even the garden hose would have been sufficient, no kid wants to risk having his phone wrecked by water.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

just wondering because I don't know...but could this family sue this guy ??
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

westside105 wrote:just wondering because I don't know...but could this family sue this guy ??

Yes they can. Whether they can win such a case is a completely different matter.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

westside105 wrote:just wondering because I don't know...but could this family sue this guy ??

Yes, and burden of proof is much less than a criminal trial. A criminal conviction almost always secures victory in a civil suite. Of course the person you are during must have assets or what's the point.

Return to “North Okanagan”