RCMP ramming motorcyclist on Hwy 6

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: RCMP ramming motorcyclist on Hwy 6

Post by Bsuds »

I'm glad the couple on the motorcycle weren't hurt too badly and from that article it seems the Officer made a mistake.
At least from what we are told there.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I saw this happen in a movie once, but then Steven Seagal merely jump over the police car, and kept on riding. Why this motorcyclists didn't think to do that here is beyond me.
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 30th, 2016, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ken7 wrote:
I'll throw a curve at you. Who has the right away, Police displaying emergency lights or motorcycle? What is the speed one must tavel when passing a Emergency vehicle with lights on?

Lastly, what was the Officer doing at the time he/she pulled out? Why did the motorcycle operator not stop?

I don't have the answers either...Who started this post...MJ? Police Ramming, they do that at times, but jump much that suggests they intended on running into the motor bike, which do we know the facts?

Or maybe the officer simply didn't pay attention and look very carefully before he/she pulled a U Turn in front of oncoming traffic.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Or maybe the officer simply didn't pay attention and look very carefully before he/she pulled a U Turn in front of oncoming traffic.

that apparently is exactly what happened
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Or maybe the officer still had their emergency lights on, and the motorcycle didn't adhere to the law of 70 kph and move to the left when passing a Police vehicle?

Maybe, just maybe, that was the cause.

I have no idea, just saying maybe it wasn't the RCMP's fault.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tony wrote:Or maybe the officer still had their emergency lights on, and the motorcycle didn't adhere to the law of 70 kph and move to the left when passing a Police vehicle?

Maybe, just maybe, that was the cause.

I have no idea, just saying maybe it wasn't the RCMP's fault.

I agree, at this point - we have no idea. But, for arguments sake - 70km/h and moving over to the left will do nothing if the vehicle parked on the side of the road decides to pull a U Turn in front of oncoming traffic. Regardless if the officer's lights were on, the officer still has a responsibility to make sure that traffic is clear and it is safe to make that turn. One can not expect that once an emergency vehicle activates its lights, that all traffic magically comes to a stop and disappears - the real world doesn't work that way. There has to be a level of responsibility of the officers part - and with that responsibility there has to be accountability.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Even Steven wrote:#LoudPipesMatter

#RideResponsibleAndLoudPipesDontMatter!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

dontrump wrote:
It was a RCMP suburban and the cop was 100% in the wrong.He had just finished with a roadside client and burned a Uturn right in front of the motorcyclist and his wife.This cop is in deep doo doo but hes lucky he never caused a death

Postby Ken7 » Aug 24th, 2016, 7:36 am

I'll throw a curve at you. Who has the right of way, Police displaying emergency lights or motorcycle? What is the speed one must travel when passing a Emergency vehicle with lights on?

IMO if thee police vehicle did not have their emergency lights on the RCMP may as well start shoveling out the cash for making a "U-Turn" when unsafe to do so. If the lights were on on the emergency vehicle I would say that the IIO is going to have a bit of a conundrum to deal with.

The other vehicle should give way to the emergency lights but the Officer, even though they have their emergency lights flashing has an obligation to try to insure that any movements the vehicle makes can be made in safety. An example is in approaching an intersection.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

this cop based on what I read and what the Bike riders themselves claim is 100% in the wrong and we can just
as tax payers be happy this DA female cop never severely injured or killed anyone in this situation
There will be compensation iam sure but at a lessor amount
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote: If the lights were on on the emergency vehicle I would say that the IIO is going to have a bit of a conundrum to deal with.

What conundrum? As you said yourself ...
Donald G wrote: but the Officer, even though they have their emergency lights flashing has an obligation to try to insure that any movements the vehicle makes can be made in safety.

... if it turns out that the officer did in fact pull a u-turn in front of the bike, then lights or no lights, the officer was in the wrong and should be held to the same law everyone else would have been. There shouldn't be a conundrum.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by Dizzy1 » Today, 10:24 am

... if it turns out that the officer did in fact pull a u-turn in front of the bike, then lights or no lights, the officer was in the wrong and should be held to the same law everyone else would have been. There shouldn't be a conundrum.

IMO there is too much missing from the article to comment further. What was the speed and location on the road of either vehicle that led up to coming into contact ?? What was the position of the vehicle that the police vehicle had just deal with ?? Were the lights activated ?? What is the configuration and surfacing of the road at that location ??

As a strong advocate of defensive driving I think the case can be made that both vehicles may have contributed to the "accident". Fortunately in BC an Independent Investigator will tentatively assess the issue, Regional Crown Council will decide on any charges and a Criminal Court and Traffic Court is available to make a final determination.

A civil finding independent of the criminal investigation will be determined through an alternate system.

C'est la vie in Canada.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby dontrump » Today, 10:19 am

this cop based on what I read and what the Bike riders themselves claim is 100% in the wrong and we can just
as tax payers be happy this DA female cop never severely injured or killed anyone in this situation
There will be compensation iam sure but at a lessor amount

Your guess could be right or it could be completely wrong. Fortunately others with the expertise and first hand knowledge of the evidence will decide the various questions that will need to be answered.

The civil aspects will be dealt with completely independent of the findings of the criminal or regulatory vehicle laws.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Your guess could be right or it could be completely wrong. Fortunately others with the expertise and first hand knowledge of the evidence will decide the various questions that will need to be answered.

The civil aspects will be dealt with completely independent of the findings of the criminal or regulatory vehicle laws.

LOL its not a guess its what the bike rider says happened so doubt its nowhere near "completely wrong"
knowing how cops when in the hot seat tend to lie I suspect there may be a slightly different view coming form the police officer
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Donald G wrote:
IMO there is too much missing from the article to comment further. What was the speed and location on the road of either vehicle that led up to coming into contact ?? What was the position of the vehicle that the police vehicle had just deal with ?? Were the lights activated ?? What is the configuration and surfacing of the road at that location ??

If I were to pull a U turn in front of another vehicle - would any of those be "factors" when I go to ICBC or an officer issuing me a ticket?

If, the officer did pull a U Turn - it was unsafe. I agree, all those points you made are completely valid - but that doesn't mean the officer made a boo boo if in fact he/she did pull a U turn.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dontrump wrote:
LOL its not a guess its what the bike rider says happened so doubt its nowhere near "completely wrong"
knowing how cops when in the hot seat tend to lie I suspect there may be a slightly different view coming form the police officer

Please don't paint all with the same brush. I always found the truth worked out best, if in the wrong why dig deeper.

I've seen many a total lie by Civilian while under oath and then there is the old line. Defence lawyer to client, "Don't you lie on the stand, let me do it!"

Will be interesting to see what the investigation reviles.

Return to “North Okanagan”