What will they make at the old glass plant?

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Re: What will they make at the old glass plant?

Post by gordon_as »

This is a new start up , not moving from somewhere.

MGO board is not widely used in North America , probably because nobody here produces it , so the potential is huge. The fact that the raw materials will have to travel across an ocean makes me wonder if this business will end up being economically viable.
**EDIT** Owner has informed me that they have figured the production cost of each board down to the penny.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Atomoa wrote:They're not moving here to pay good wages.

Tax incentives and cheap labour in a desperate market.

We'll see.

If they can avoid a union that stifles their productivity, they'll be able to pay great wages and benefits and still be viable economically.

Hope it comes to fruition, negative nellies that damn it before it's even announced need not apply.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Since the raw materials need to be brought in, would have been great if train had tracks up to the old glass plant. Just because it's cheaper + larger amounts could be done by train then trucking.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

GordonH wrote:Since the raw materials need to be brought in, would have been great if train had tracks up to the old glass plant. Just because it's cheaper + larger amounts could be done by train then trucking.

Double tracked rail spur line goes right up to the back door. We had our silica delivered by train car , and we used to load trains with glass years ago.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Since the raw materials need to be brought in, would have been great if train had tracks up to the old glass plant. Just because it's cheaper + larger amounts could be done by train then trucking.

gordon_as wrote:Double tracked rail spur line goes right up to the back door. We had our silica delivered by train car , and we used to load trains with glass years ago.

My bad should have looked harder at the satellite / map. If that is still there and be made to handle shipments again. Again better then trucking materials in & finished product out.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Good news for the town. Cheap labor from neighboring towns should ensure the business thrives for many years to come.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

No need to do anything to the line. That was already done when the pellet plant in Lavington started up. The line all the way to Lumby is good to handle traffic. There are several trains per week out there.

Return to “North Okanagan”