Sounds like a Good 'ole African Elephant Slaughter

techrtr
Übergod

Sounds like a Good 'ole African Elephant Slaughter

Post by techrtr »

Bizarre - I think sometimes wildlife management in BC is in a time warp.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#177770
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Re: Sounds like a Good 'ole African Elephant Slaughter

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Not sure what else they could have done, the farmer was not compliant, he was told he was not complaint, admits he wasn't compliant. You only get so many warnings before drastic stuff happens. :200: This is not this guy's first rodeo, he's been round and round with the gov't before on various aspects of his farming and slaughterhouse, he knows how it works.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

He was breaking the rules. He knew he was not in compliance. Now the authorities take action and he goes crying to the media. He likely continued breaking the rules thinking that there would be no consequences. Zero sympathy for people who play the system and the odds.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Oh, I'm sure there lots of better ways of handling the situation. Who cares if the guy didn't comply - there were probably less draconian ways of dealing with it. Like I said, BC seems to be in the dark ages when it comes to wildlife management. In fact, I won't be surprised if someone loses their job over this because it's terrible PR for "Supernatural British Columbia." In fact if someone recorded it and it gets posted on YouTube, watch out.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fence maintenance should be daily task. During windstorm keep an eye out for issues.

On the farm I grew up property line had 5 line barb wire fence all entry/exist points had cattle guards.
Rotated pastures had 2 wire lined electric fence. It was our responsibility to make sure our animals stayed within our property.

Farming is 24/7 365 days a year job, at least the type I grew up on.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
P65
Fledgling

Post by P65 »

So because the human was non-compliant all these animals had to die?
We rescue dogs from around the world, save cats that are feral and overrunning communities, but these deer had to be slaughtered because there was nothing else that could be done with them?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

P65 wrote:So because the human was non-compliant all these animals had to die?
We rescue dogs from around the world, save cats that are feral and overrunning communities, but these deer had to be slaughtered because there was nothing else that could be done with them?

I would have preferred much different approach/solution by all levels of Ministry responsible.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

He was raising them to be slaughtered at some point in time. Sounds like the herd was pretty large , where would you have taken them ?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*off topic*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 8th, 2016, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
P65
Fledgling

Post by P65 »

He was raising them to be slaughtered at some point in time. Sounds like the herd was pretty large , where would you have taken them ?[/quote]

Slaughtered for food? What happened to the slaughtered animals?
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Kinda yea, They weren't slaughtered cuz he didn't have the right permit. These were domesticated livestock, they weren't wild (although because they are normally a wild animal fish and game were involved) , relocating them back into the wild wouldn't have worked they would have needed to find another farmer who suddenly wanted to raise deer for meat. The blame rests 100% with this farmer, He could have slowly started processing them for sale or he could have fixed his fences. He was told he needed to keep his animals contained and he decided not to do that. There were numerous complaints from neighbours about his deer eating their crops. He was told the consequences but now cries the blues to the media.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Exactly Nom_de_Plume :up:

Return to “North Okanagan”