Logo'd vehicles can't park at meters?!

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Logo'd vehicles can't park at meters?!

Post by southy »

spooker wrote:Knowing the engagement of users on the forums here I don't think they'd be smart to stick their heads in here ... we just need a user who'd be willing to take the time to put in the request and report back ...

Actually Spooker I live in the south end of the valley so this issue really isn't mine to own - and after learning about this bylaw I don't think I'll be coming up north to your fair city and parking at a meter. For your information, I did go to City of Vernon website and no I could not find any position for engagement officer, communications person or marketing person. So I tried. I'll let you folks settle this with your mayor and council - you see we have our own issues to deal with down here in the south. Good luck!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

After reading through this entire thread, it seems to me that anyone fined under this by-law should first ascertain exactly WHICH bylaw they are alleged to have violated and then, IF the bylaw is indeed the one my5cents referred to, they should appeal their fine. Because, if the bylaw in question only applies to vehicles parked downtown for the "principle purpose of advertising" then it wouldn't apply to vehicles that can be shown to have been parked there for another reason.

It may well be that the bylaw officer is being overly aggressive in his interpretation of the bylaw and, if so, the OP should easily win his appeal.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

southy wrote:
spooker wrote:Knowing the engagement of users on the forums here I don't think they'd be smart to stick their heads in here ... we just need a user who'd be willing to take the time to put in the request and report back ...

Actually Spooker I live in the south end of the valley so this issue really isn't mine to own - and after learning about this bylaw I don't think I'll be coming up north to your fair city and parking at a meter. For your information, I did go to City of Vernon website and no I could not find any position for engagement officer, communications person or marketing person. So I tried. I'll let you folks settle this with your mayor and council - you see we have our own issues to deal with down here in the south. Good luck!

on contrare I went to the Vernon web site and there is a ton of contact information regarding this subject
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

marleys10 wrote:When I called the bylaw officer at City Of Vernon he told me it didn't matter what time I was parked downtown with my "logo'd" vehicle, I would need a permit or be subject to a fine. And after talking to more people about this there have been instances where someone was ticketed at night. It's not right, I understand I would need a commercial permit if I was blocking alley ways to deliver goods or double parking to make drop offs but I am not, I am parking in a spot, paying the meter and going about my personal business . That makes me no different than if I took my neighbours car downtown and did the same thing but somehow the decals on my car costs an additional $40 per year for a ridiculous permit! It is nothing but a cash grab, trying to get the cash from the tax payer anyway they can! And if the City needs money that badly that they have to ticket logo'd vehicles they will need even more money when people stop shopping downtown Vernon to avoid tickets or paying for a permit! It's a vicious circle as people won't put up with permitting and excess fees, basically people will stop shopping downtown, downtown businesses will suffer and close and the city won't make revenue off business taxes and business licensing! This is a province wide system of commercial vehicle permits, BUT it is up to each individual town/city to choose if they will ticket violators or not, and it's apparent that Vernon has chose to ticket.

Do you have a section number to their By-Law. I'd love to read it, personally I wouldn't pay it. I'd challenge them in court.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Do you have a section number to their By-Law. I'd love to read it, personally I wouldn't pay it. I'd challenge them in court.]

I would not waste my time If I was a out of towner only if I lived in Vernon
if I was from Kelowna-Kamloops-van etc I would write them a letter and explain the sunshine situation
and the usual bs and how far their heads are up their :cuss:
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dontrump wrote:
I would not waste my time If I was a out of towner only if I lived in Vernon
if I was from Kelowna-Kamloops-van etc I would write them a letter and explain the sunshine situation
and the usual bs and how far their heads are up their :cuss:

I've had several parking tickets in Kelowna, I have not paid them. There usually hoping people will drop the early bird payment and they will generate the wages of their By-law Enforcement. Not from me!
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

LATEST UPDATE

At that time, Council was also having some issue with the enforcement of this bylaw and regulations. They have now requested us to not enforce this regulation when someone is parked at a parking meter.

Return to “North Okanagan”