55+ Considering Job Transfer to Vernon??

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: 55+ Considering Job Transfer to Vernon??

Post by Queen K »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Lavington yet either. Bedroom community, school available, close to all amenties.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kevcol99

Post by kevcol99 »

Lavington is part of Coldstream :)
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

kevcol99 wrote:Lavington is part of Coldstream :)

Sounds really nice! I am searching as we speak! thanks!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Lavington is more rural and slightly further out than Coldstream proper. Like, Ellison is part of Kelowna.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Avoid Vernon if you have a choice. If you must, these are neighbourhoods I'd recommend:
Turtle Mountain($$$)
Middleton Mountain ($$)
East Hill ($)

Someone mentioned Lumby. I literally LOL'ed.
Lavington and Coldstream are not good either, with the new wood pellet plant having gone up recently the air quality is not very good (dust).

If it is an option, Lake Country (located between Kelowna and Vernon) or Armstrong (15min north of Vernon) are much nicer towns.

Best of luck!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Sorry we have good family and friends in Lumby and I assure you there is nothing wrong with Lumby.

Why would you LOL at Lumby?
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Scrobins94 wrote:Avoid Vernon if you have a choice. If you must, these are neighbourhoods I'd recommend:
Turtle Mountain($$$)
Middleton Mountain ($$)
East Hill ($)

Lavington and Coldstream are not good either, with the new wood pellet plant having gone up recently the air quality is not very good (dust).

If it is an option, Lake Country (located between Kelowna and Vernon) or Armstrong (15min north of Vernon) are much nicer towns.

Best of luck!

Turtle Mountain is not only hilly with some very steep driveways but it's the most expensive area in Vernon. It consists mostly of McMansions packed shoulder-to-shoulder on small lots. Middleton Mountain is almost as bad as far as price goes and worse in other aspects such as density. Seen from a distance it literally looks just like the pile of boxes it is. IMO neither area fits the criteria described by the OP.

Nothing at all wrong with Lumby. It's a nice little town and house prices are much more affordable, just be prepared to do a little more driving if you choose it. Convenience to amenities like shopping can be an issue, especially if you're coming from a big city.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Scrobins94 wrote:Avoid Vernon if you have a choice. If you must, these are neighbourhoods I'd recommend:
Turtle Mountain($$$)
Middleton Mountain ($$)
East Hill ($)

Best of luck!

Thanks so much. Can you expound on why not Vernon? We actually have a choice between Vernon and Kelowna but looking at the real estate prices in Kelowna felt Vernon area was a better fit. Lake Country has always been my number one pick! I love that little town.
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Verminator wrote:
Turtle Mountain($$$)
Middleton Mountain ($$)
East Hill ($)

Best of luck!

Turtle Mountain is not only hilly with some very steep driveways but it's the most expensive area in Vernon. It consists mostly of McMansions packed shoulder-to-shoulder on small lots. Middleton Mountain is almost as bad as far as price goes and worse in other aspects such as density. Seen from a distance it literally looks just like the pile of boxes it is. IMO neither area fits the criteria described by the OP.

Nothing at all wrong with Lumby. It's a nice little town and house prices are much more affordable, just be prepared to do a little more driving if you choose it. Convenience to amenities like shopping can be an issue, especially if you're coming from a big city.

You called it exactly Verminator. We probably couldn't afford a shed in those neighbourhoods. ;)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Deb4jc2 wrote:Lake Country has always been my number one pick! I love that little town.

Then why not concentrate on there.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Bsuds wrote:
Deb4jc2 wrote:Lake Country has always been my number one pick! I love that little town.

Then why not concentrate on there.

Lake Country real estate is as high as Kelowna (almost) and it's out of our price range. If only we'd jumped 2 years ago!
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

If lake country is out of your price range then so is coldstream except the lavington part.
The cheapest in coldstream would be mid $450,000 but there are houses in lake country for that price.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Deb4jc2 wrote:Lake Country real estate is as high as Kelowna (almost) and it's out of our price range. If only we'd jumped 2 years ago!

Then unless the transfer includes a large pay increase and only 10 years left to retirement I would stay where I am. Unless you want to retire here.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Bsuds wrote:
Deb4jc2 wrote:Lake Country real estate is as high as Kelowna (almost) and it's out of our price range. If only we'd jumped 2 years ago!

Then unless the transfer includes a large pay increase and only 10 years left to retirement I would stay where I am. Unless you want to retire here.

Good advice. Compare cost of transportation + moving + PTT. With is Vernon the place that you want to spend your retirement years?
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
kevcol99

Post by kevcol99 »

And it's comments exactly like that , that make me wonder why anyone would come here for advice

Return to “North Okanagan”