55+ Considering Job Transfer to Vernon??

Deb4jc2

55+ Considering Job Transfer to Vernon??

Post by Deb4jc2 »

What are some safe neighbourhoods to look at when considering a move to Vernon? We are over 55 with no children at home. Looking to buy a house (not condo strata situation if possible).

Our problem is we are moving from a market that has cooled to an inflated market, so our purchase power is limited, and obviously, the lower priced houses we see listed online are probably in less desirable areas. If someone could kindly direct us to the areas we should rule out, would be so helpful! Maybe suggesting neighbourhoods (street numbers #s?) to avoid might be easier??

Thanks in advance for any, and all, input.
Last edited by Deb4jc2 on Jan 8th, 2017, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: 55+ Considering Job Transfer to Vernon??

Post by Queen K »

Would you look up in the Silver Star area? We spotted some nice developments up there and if you're into alpine hiking, xc skiing or downhill, it's a short drive up.

Do you mind if I ask what market crashed? Where?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Queen K wrote:Would you look up in the Silver Star area? We spotted some nice developments up there and if you're into alpine hiking, xc skiing or downhill, it's a short drive up.

Do you mind if I ask what market crashed? Where?

Thanks, Queen K I edited my post to read; "cooled". I typed the wrong word. It's cooled compared to your hot market. Not technically crashed. haha Sorry!
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

30+ minutes from Kelowna to Vernon, 20 mins from Winfield, 25-30 mins from Lumby, 15 mins. from Armstrong. I suggest either the outer regions of East Winfield or Armstrong. Both are within reasonable range of VJH. Consult Realtor.ca
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Deb4jc2 wrote:What are some safe neighbourhoods to look at when considering a move to Vernon? We are over 55 with no children at home. Looking to buy a house (not condo strata situation if possible).

Our problem is we are moving from a market that has cooled to an inflated market, so our purchase power is limited, and obviously, the lower priced houses we see listed online are probably in less desirable areas. If someone could kindly direct us to the areas we should rule out, would be so helpful! Maybe suggesting neighbourhoods (street numbers #s?) to avoid might be easier??

seriously if moneys a issue then try lumby area or Armstrong because houses are a lot cheaper in both areas to vernon
south Vernon area, mission hill , old bella vista , certain areas of the east hill and the harward area of Vernon still have some reasonable priced housing available .
Call Debbie Steenkamp" <[email protected] Extremely knowledgeable and honest real estate person you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. (personal experience)
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

dontrump wrote:
Deb4jc2 wrote:What are some safe neighbourhoods to look at when considering a move to Vernon? We are over 55 with no children at home. Looking to buy a house (not condo strata situation if possible).

seriously if moneys a issue then try lumby area or Armstrong because houses are a lot cheaper in both areas to vernon
south Vernon area, mission hill , old bella vista , certain areas of the east hill and the harward area of Vernon still have some reasonable priced housing available .
Call Debbie Steenkamp" <[email protected] Extremely knowledgeable and honest real estate person you will ever have the pleasure of meeting. (personal experience)
dontrump wrote:

Thanks, Dontrump! $$ is an issue, but safety is moreso. What areas would you stay out off in that regard??
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

w84u2 wrote:30+ minutes from Kelowna to Vernon, 20 mins from Winfield, 25-30 mins from Lumby, 15 mins. from Armstrong. I suggest either the outer regions of East Winfield or Armstrong. Both are within reasonable range of VJH. Consult Realtor.ca

Thank you. I would pose the same question to you ww94u2. What areas in Vernon are considered bad and unsafe neighbourhoods?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

[Thanks, Dontrump! $$ is an issue, but safety is moreso. What areas would you stay out off in that regard??[/quote
]

like I said email Debbie she can fill you in
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Thanks Don. I'd rather ask regular people where the bad neighbourhoods are. Real Estate agents have an invested interest and don't always give you the best info. They are there to make $$, obviously. :)
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Deb4jc2 wrote:
w84u2 wrote:30+ minutes from Kelowna to Vernon, 20 mins from Winfield, 25-30 mins from Lumby, 15 mins. from Armstrong. I suggest either the outer regions of East Winfield or Armstrong. Both are within reasonable range of VJH. Consult Realtor.ca

Thank you. I would pose the same question to you ww94u2. What areas in Vernon are considered bad and unsafe neighbourhoods?

My recommended areas are listed above. Everything else in Vernon is not my recommendation.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Harwood is an older well-established area, the homes on my street were built mostly in the mid-70s and are valued in the $350,000 range, give or take. We find it quite peaceful and it's convenient to just about everything including transit and a full-service grocery store within easy walking distance. Village Green Mall, Walmart and the big-box stores on Anderson Way are only a few minutes away. The Westmount area is similar but not nearly as convenient.

I would stay away from the lower Mission Hill area including 24th Street and South Vernon. Good luck to you. :D

Edit - I meant 24th Avenue, sorry.. :135:
Last edited by Verminator on Jan 9th, 2017, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

thank you so much Verminator!! Exactly what I need.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Deb4jc2 wrote:thank you so much Verminator!! Exactly what I need.

No problem, I hope it helps. BTW, I'd like to correct an error - I meant 24th Avenue, not Street. Once again, good luck!
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Thanks, and it helps a lot!! :)
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Verminator wrote:Harwood is an older well-established area, the homes on my street were built mostly in the mid-70s and are valued in the $350,000 range, give or take. We find it quite peaceful and it's convenient to just about everything including transit and a full-service grocery store within easy walking distance. Village Green Mall, Walmart and the big-box stores on Anderson Way are only a few minutes away. The Westmount area is similar but not nearly as convenient.

I would stay away from the lower Mission Hill area including 24th Street and South Vernon. Good luck to you. :D

avoid. West of highway 97 and south of 25th ave.
I think verminator meant 24 ave not st.

Return to “North Okanagan”