55+ Considering Job Transfer to Vernon??

Deb4jc2

Re: 55+ Considering Job Transfer to Vernon??

Post by Deb4jc2 »

yes, they corrected that. Thanks so much Hassel99, this is exactly what we need! Keep em coming people! :)
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Btw, Hassell99 and Verminator, what are the neighboorhoods names? That would be so helpful doing our search.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

The are mentioned would be called Mission Hill or Hospital Hill.
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

thanks! We'll note those two to avoid. :)
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Even the worst areas of Vernon are not really that bad. Like the other posters said, lower Mission Hill, South Vernon, Alexis Park, the closer you get to downtown the worse the areas are for crime but again it is Vernon not East Vancouver.
The best area for cheaper housing is probably the East Hill or the Vernon side of Middleton Mountain. Although doing a quick search under $450,000 found very few houses in those areas.
It might be the time of year as many more houses go on the market in the Spring or maybe prices have really gone up. It depends on what price range you are looking at. If you want under $400,000 there won't be very many choices and most will be in those areas people mentioned to avoid, then you are looking at Armstrong and Lumby for cheaper houses.
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

jasond_71 wrote:Even the worst areas of Vernon are not really that bad. Like the other posters said, lower Mission Hill, South Vernon, Alexis Park, the closer you get to downtown the worse the areas are for crime but again it is Vernon not East Vancouver.
The best area for cheaper housing is probably the East Hill or the Vernon side of Middleton Mountain. Although doing a quick search under $450,000 found very few houses in those areas.
It might be the time of year as many more houses go on the market in the Spring or maybe prices have really gone up. It depends on what price range you are looking at. If you want under $400,000 there won't be very many choices and most will be in those areas people mentioned to avoid, then you are looking at Armstrong and Lumby for cheaper houses.

Thank you jasond_71 this is great info. I understand what you mean about it all being relative. If you are used to Vancouver type crime, then Vernon will probably be a piece of cake! Seems we're leaning toward Armstrong and Lumby areas.
Last edited by Deb4jc2 on Jan 11th, 2017, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Both great choices,

Lumby is 25min from Vernon, Armstrong 15min.

Armstrong has a bit more going for it economically these days it seams, therefore you can get a cheaper homes in lumby.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No one's mentioned the Coldstream area? Near Lake Kalamalka, it is outrageously expensive?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Hassel99 wrote:Both great choices,

Lumby is 25min from Vernon, Armstrong 15min.

Armstrong has a bit more going for it economically these days it seams, therefore you can get a cheaper homes in lumby.

How big are we talking? Do either have a Walmart lol for instance? I'm in Saskatchewan and have no clue about this area, at all.
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Queen K wrote:No one's mentioned the Coldstream area? Near Lake Kalamalka, it is outrageously expensive?

I did a search and wow... expensive!! I have heard it's really pretty there, though. But, then I think the whole area is very pretty! You are all very fortunate to live there! But, you already know that!
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Deb4jc2 wrote:How big are we talking? Do either have a Walmart lol for instance? I'm in Saskatchewan and have no clue about this area, at all.

Armstrong population is 4800, http://www.cityofarmstrong.bc.ca/
Lumby is 1700 https://www.lumby.ca/

Neither will have a walmart, your going to vernon for main stuff, which is why the commute difference adds up.
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Hassel99 wrote:
Deb4jc2 wrote:How big are we talking? Do either have a Walmart lol for instance? I'm in Saskatchewan and have no clue about this area, at all.

Armstrong population is 4800, http://www.cityofarmstrong.bc.ca/
Lumby is 1700 https://www.lumby.ca/

Neither will have a walmart, your going to vernon for main stuff, which is why the commute difference adds up.

Thanks, exactly. We have to factor in the commute times and expect that gas will be going up potentially. What we might save in cost, will be ate up in commuting. It's always a "gotcha" I guess, but that's why I am asking ahead of time. That way we have at least a ground level view...and we aren't totally surprised when we actually do get here.

I have had a couple real estate agents sending us listings for the past year, or so, but even though we asked for only good areas, we consistently just get any, and every, listing based on price. Which in fairness is the only way they can suggest a property. But,"talking" to real people has been really helpful in our search and again, thank you everyone!
Nailbender

Post by Nailbender »

An option is to move and rent for a year to get the feel of the community. Driving from Armstrong to Vernon is a better drive than Lumby to Vernon, if you opt not to live in Vernon.
Measure twice, cut once.
Deb4jc2

Post by Deb4jc2 »

Nailbender wrote:An option is to move and rent for a year to get the feel of the community. Driving from Armstrong to Vernon is a better drive than Lumby to Vernon, if you opt not to live in Vernon.

We like that opinion! Actually, that's the one we have come to. Renting for 6 months, to a year, should give us a better idea of where we'd like to be. We had hoped to port our mortgage and save some $$ but in the end, I suppose buying in the wrong area wouldn't be worth it. Thanks, again!
kevcol99

Post by kevcol99 »

I moved to Coldstream several years ago from the lower mainland. It is a great little community. I am not sure what your price range is, but there are houses available in the low to mid $400k range. These homes are a little older but come with larger lots and lots of room for all the toys that are associated with the Okanagan. We enjoy an amazing view and are only a 5 min walk from Kal beach. The district provides amazing services that I hear many others in the valley complaining about, eg: snow removal. You may want to check it out if it fits in your budget. Best of luck in your search!

Return to “North Okanagan”