Tainted water: election issue

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Tainted water: election issue

Post by GordonH »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/189 ... nted-water

So where does 9 farms send their manure to & who's going to pay for transportation of all that manure.

That's hell of a lot of manure depending on the size of each farm/total head of cattle.

To give everyone an idea on average each adult bovine can produce over 100 pounds per day once added to bedding (straw of shavings)

Added later: So a farm with 150 adult animals plus calves & heifers could produce between 5.5 to 6.0 million pounds of manure in 1 year.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Maybe just reduce the number of cattle on the farm to the point that the land can handle the manure. You know, to the point it was decades ago before this concept of feedlots took over. Or if you want a huge number of cattle on a small farm, build into the business plan manure transportation and disposal to somewhere that you're not poisoning your neighbours. If it doesn't add up to a profit........ doesn't the free enterprise system say something about this.

And to get back to the original post.......... Tainted water: election issue. Mary Polak's comment about working hard, real hard for years on this issue just doesn't cut it.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

bob vernon wrote:Maybe just reduce the number of cattle on the farm to the point that the land can handle the manure. You know, to the point it was decades ago before this concept of feedlots took over. Or if you want a huge number of cattle on a small farm, build into the business plan manure transportation and disposal to somewhere that you're not poisoning your neighbours. If it doesn't add up to a profit........ doesn't the free enterprise system say something about this.

And to get back to the original post.......... Tainted water: election issue. Mary Polak's comment about working hard, real hard for years on this issue just doesn't cut it.

Please explain how a farmer is to survive by doing this.

Bob have you ever farmed ?
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Please explain how a farmer is to survive by doing this.

Bob have you ever farmed ?

you know what? who cares if this farmer survives if his survival is solely based on being allowed to poison the aquifer water system for a whole town so to speak
He needs to be required to have a proper collection and containment of the cow manure so there is zero chance it will leach into the ground water system.If he fails then hes shut down
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

dontrump wrote:you know what? who cares if this farmer survives if his survival is solely based on being allowed to poison the aquifer water system for a whole town so to speak
He needs to be required to have a proper collection and containment of the cow manure so there is zero chance it will leach into the ground water system.If he fails then hes shut down

Only a complete dumb :cuss: places drinking water wells on working agriculture land, in direct contact of contaminants.
(This is like placing a Well right in middle septic field, and expecting clean water. This is exactly what Township of Spallumcheen has done... complete idiots.)

I grew on a farm our well for household use & milk house was placed well away from any possible contaminants entering.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Only a complete dumb places drinking water wells on working agriculture land, in direct contact of contaminants.
(This is like placing a Well right in middle septic field, and expecting clean water. This is exactly what Township of Spallumcheen has done... complete idiots.)

I grew on a farm our well for household use & milk house was placed well away from any possible contaminants entering

and only a complete dumb :cuss: farmer allows his cess pool of cow crap to overfill and spill over to cause contamination
I personally have seen very FEW smart and accountable framers in the OK valley in all my years of living and this is just another example of farming ignorance
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Only a complete dumb places drinking water wells on working agriculture land, in direct contact of contaminants.

I grew on a farm our well for household use & milk house was placed well away from any possible contaminants entering

dontrump wrote:and only a complete dumb :cuss: farmer allows his cess pool of cow crap to overfill and spill over to cause contamination
I personally have seen very FEW smart and accountable framers in the OK valley in all my years of living and this is just another example of farming ignorance

Overflow would not have been problem if idiots for Township of Spallumcheen did place wells near manure piles.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Only gotta stall for another few months. The announcement of more study with "a million" attached to it should do the trick.
If necessary, they can play the water pipeline card right before the election to totally defuse the issue (but don't mention how much it will cost to connect to this line).

Once the election is over and done the province can go back to ignoring this issue. For another 3 years.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Mission accomplished. *bleep* has been misdirected and confused for awhile. Maybe enough so to get past the election.
Politics isn't about doing the right thing, it's about winning.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/190 ... ssing-mark

Return to “North Okanagan”