Another rail trail en route

aitaix

Re: Another rail trail en route

Post by aitaix »

bob57 wrote:
Mr Kyllo I suggest you....

He ain't reading these forums... [icon_lol2.gif]

Just because YOU don't think it's a great idea, doesn't make up for those who DO want it.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

spooker wrote:In 2010 it was estimated that cycling in Europe saved over 114B euros from reduced mortality rates (based on the EU members) ... anything that will promote cycling and get people off their butts saves the government money that would otherwise be spent on healthcare ...

For that same year the bicycle tourism industry accounted for 44B euros ...

In 2014 Michigan logged $668MM in benefits to the economy from employment, retail revenue, tourism expenditure, and increased health and productivity ...

The $6MM estimation in the original report might be low ...

Money well spent ... can't wait to see what happens with the Trans-Canada Trail opening this year ...

Apples and oranges. One does not equate to the other
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Good price. Good news. Good investment in the future. I talked to one native entrepreneur who wants to build a group of kekulis, upgraded of course with modern lining and fixtures, for rental on the course.
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

Everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room with regards to the current rail trail. The section between the airport and Lake Country along Duck Lake may never be completed compliments of the OIB. What families are going to allow their children to ride that stretch along Hwy. 97?
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Meh, no one wants to bike south of Lake Country
The best part is around Oyama.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I would rather ride Duck Lake bike path, than Gordon bike lanes in town and parts of 97 between the lake a Rutland.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

Rode from Kelowna to Coldstream today. Hopped the fence by the airport, a little overgrown but no cars. Will continue this unless they post a Chief at the gate. Looking at Strava many others are also ignoring the signage.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

How long did it take you?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

Rode from Kelowna to Coldstream and back last Friday. The only work done on the Duck Lake portion was increasing the height and length of the blocking fence. They still left the original gates on either end so lifting a bike over is not impossible, but difficult. Helped some elderly ladies, passed a few other riders, so people are continuing to ignore the signage. Rode back from LakeCountry to the airport on the highway , feel for the families that do this. And by the way except for being rough and overgrown the lakeside route is relaxing and pretty. Quite selfish of the OIB to delay this portion for at least another year.

( Glacier 4 hours)
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

cuba108 wrote:Rode from Kelowna to Coldstream and back last Friday. The only work done on the Duck Lake portion was increasing the height and length of the blocking fence. They still left the original gates on either end so lifting a bike over is not impossible, but difficult. Helped some elderly ladies, passed a few other riders, so people are continuing to ignore the signage. Rode back from LakeCountry to the airport on the highway , feel for the families that do this. And by the way except for being rough and overgrown the lakeside route is relaxing and pretty. Quite selfish of the OIB to delay this portion for at least another year.

( Glacier 4 hours)

I don’t think it’s the OIB itself. It’s the federal government who takes FOREVER to turn deeded land into reserve land.

The gate and sign belong to the City of Kelowna. Not the OIB.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

KL3-Something wrote:
cuba108 wrote:Rode from Kelowna to Coldstream and back last Friday. The only work done on the Duck Lake portion was increasing the height and length of the blocking fence. They still left the original gates on either end so lifting a bike over is not impossible, but difficult. Helped some elderly ladies, passed a few other riders, so people are continuing to ignore the signage. Rode back from LakeCountry to the airport on the highway , feel for the families that do this. And by the way except for being rough and overgrown the lakeside route is relaxing and pretty. Quite selfish of the OIB to delay this portion for at least another year.

( Glacier 4 hours)

I don’t think it’s the OIB itself. It’s the federal government who takes FOREVER to turn deeded land into reserve land.

The gate and sign belong to the City of Kelowna. Not the OIB.

Yes, I've been past there a couple of times and the sign clearly says COK will prosecute trespassers ... by the looks of the pushed down fence, not may heed the warnings and climb over to continue past the blockades,
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

I’m aware the sign was placed by the COK, however the land belongs to the OIB and the Bennett farm, they have absolutely no jurisdiction. The sign has been placed to placate their fear of liability. As to the delay, the Feds have given a verbal and written promise that the deed will be placed, I realize the Indians have been screwed in the past, but as act of goodwill they could and should let the work continue.
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

I wouldn't consider myself a cyclist. I don't ride on the roads and I curse the spandex mafia with the best of them, but I ride rail trails and when I travel the province camping, whether or not I stop to spend a night in a town is often influenced by whether or not there's a rail trail in the area. "oh good, I can get some biking in while I'm here." So, yes... people who think that way do exist and I'm not alone.
When it comes to "I don't do it, so nobody else does it," I'm mind-blown that people will spend thousands a year to chase a little white ball around the grass and then go home and watch other guys do the same on TV, but I do accept that golf exists. I don't know why it's a thing, but I accept that it is. Different strokes for different folks.

Return to “North Okanagan”