Sinkhole closes Highway 97 at Vernon

coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

sinkhole-excavated.jpg

Highway 97 has been shut down at the bottom of Vernon’s Hospital Hill until further notice.

A sinkhole has opened up in the northbound lanes near the entrance to Polson Park.

The southbound lanes were shutdown as a precaution, as Vernon Creek flows under all four lanes.

Captain Reinhard Mann from Vernon Fire Rescue said the hole under the pavement is larger than can be seen at pavement level.

“The ground has been undermined right next to the creek culvert, and right now the hole underground is about 12 feet by 40 feet,” Mann said.

Mann says a hole about four feet in diameter was visible on the surface.

He says there were no injuries from the incident.

“I’m surprised there isn’t a vehicle there because it’s a big hole.”
Emergency officials have been detouring vehicles around the site, using 34 Street, Mission Road and College Way through Coldstream.

Mann expected the highway to be closed most of the night.

“Until they can get engineers to assess the southbound lanes to make sure they’re safe, they will be staying closed,” Mann said.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3491142/sinkhole-closes-highway-97-at-vernon/
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Sinkhole closes Highway 97 at Vernon

Post by Jflem1983 »

Hocus pick
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

Thanks to all the men and women who worked through the night to reopen the road so efficiently. Well-deserved overtime pay, I'd say.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I was recently wondering aloud why we hadn't seen any holes open up with all the rain. Glad no one was hurt.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Went to Armstrong this morning. Sink hole was fixed up great! No traffic issues.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown

Return to “North Okanagan”