Unreasonable and Unacceptable

Because_They_Lie
Banned

Unreasonable and Unacceptable

Post by Because_They_Lie »

City council is being asked for more cash for an increased bylaw officer presence in Polson Park.

City council is being asked to spend another $13,000 from uncomitted funds in order to have an increased bylaw officer presence in Polson Park.

If approved at Tuesday council meeting, the measure would take effect immediately and last for eight weeks until the beginning of November.

This is not the first time additional funds have been requested, mainly due to the presence of homeless people in the park.

During budget deliberations, $52,000 in additional spending was okayed for part-time bylaw staff to monitor the parks between Apr. to Nov., from 7 a.m. until midnight.

In April, council was asked to provide another $30,000 for security which was again approved.

Recently a new bylaw has been enforced at the park that allows the homeless to camp there from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. only when shelter beds are not available. It means the tents must be taken by that time.

The move appears to have made a difference, with many homeless people moving out of the park and going elsewhere.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/205781/More-presence-in-Polson

You have got to be kidding me, close to $100, 000 dollars for "security"!

Where is reasonable city management in Vernon?

Where is reasonable financial management in Vernon?

These dollars could and should be going towards affordable housing, but I guess that is not the "real" goal - homeless people are a threat (Id have to assume) and need security rather than homes.

Nearly $100, 000 for bi-law officers!
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Unreasonable and Unacceptable

Post by Rider59 »

Money very well spent. No group has the right to commandeer a park or any public space. People have the right to enjoy the amenities their tax dollars pay for WITHOUT being harassed by societies non contributors.

Why do you think any money should be spent on housing these ungrateful slugs when then don't have any consideration to the 'hands that feed them'?

I would vote for 5 times that amount.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think it's good, what's unreasonable and unacceptable are people putting up tents etc spooking and at times terrorizing regular people, preventing them from enjoying the town.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Rider59 wrote:Money very well spent. No group has the right to commandeer a park or any public space. People have the right to enjoy the amenities their tax dollars pay for WITHOUT being harassed by societies non contributors.

Why do you think any money should be spent on housing these ungrateful slugs when then don't have any consideration to the 'hands that feed them'?

I would vote for 5 times that amount.

agreed :130:
Because_They_Lie
Banned

jimmy4321 wrote:I think it's good, what's unreasonable and unacceptable are people putting up tents etc spooking and at times terrorizing regular people, preventing them from enjoying the town.

Have you been to a tent city?

Have you observed tax payers being spooked and terrorized?

I do not believe that you have personally experienced any of these things, I think you are making up stories in order that you feel good about yourself for your lack of compassion toward those less fortunate than yourself.

Homeless people rarely hurt others, please provide me with one example of a homeless person terrorizing or spooking anyone in the Okanagan in the last 3 years...

Thank you
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

jimmy4321 wrote:I think it's good, what's unreasonable and unacceptable are people putting up tents etc spooking and at times terrorizing regular people, preventing them from enjoying the town.

There is zero reason for those tents to be there and people don't feel safe there never mind the junk and eyesores.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Fancy wrote:

There is zero reason for those tents to be there and people don't feel safe there never mind the junk and eyesores.

You are incorrect, there are very good reasons for the tents to be there, there are human beings trying to survive by living in those tents.

How people with homes do not feel safe compared to those without homes I cannot quite grasp, poor people with homes...poor people with homes who visit Polson park and feel scared because a homeless person looks at them.

Go home if you cant handle people who are not as fortunate as yourself to have a home.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Because_They_Lie wrote:
Fancy wrote:You are incorrect, there are very good reasons for the tents to be there, there are human beings trying to survive by living in those tents.

How people with homes do not feel safe compared to those without homes I cannot quite grasp, poor people with homes...poor people with homes who visit Polson park and feel scared because a homeless person looks at them.

Go home if you cant handle people who are not as fortunate as yourself to have a home.

Why don't these people have homes? Maybe because they took drugs to a point that they are now considered mentally ill? Even so, no one has the right to camp wherever they want especially in a public area where children can be expected every day.

Why don't you house them then? Or should someone else pay for your misguided demands?

You do know that most of us are fortunate' because we have the self discipline to be responsible for ourselves including busting our humps at work, right?

Go home if can't handle a nicely kept safe public park.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Rider59 wrote:Why don't these people have homes? Maybe because they took drugs to a point that they are now considered mentally ill? Even so, no one has the right to camp wherever they want especially in a public area where children can be expected every day.

Why don't you house them then? Or should someone else pay for your misguided demands?

You do know that most of us are fortunate' because we have the self discipline to be responsible for ourselves including busting our humps at work, right?

Go home if can't handle a nicely kept safe public park.

You are such an exceptional human being.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

They can go squat elsewhere. They made their life choice, we made ours. No need for them to take up space paid for by the productive members of society for our enjoyment.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

To the person that said nothing bad has happened in the Okanagan by the homeless....wasn't there a shoot out there recently?
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Because_They_Lie wrote:You are such an exceptional human being.

I'm sure you think someone that goes to work (even on the days I don't want to) and has some pride is exceptional BUT you know, it's very normal for the average person.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Because_They_Lie wrote:You are incorrect, there are very good reasons for the tents to be there, there are human beings trying to survive by living in those tents.
That is not a reason to occupy a public space that so many used to enjoy. They do not own the space and do not look after the space and have made it very unappealing which is contrary to what the park was designed for - so no, I am not incorrect.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Fancy wrote:
Because_They_Lie wrote:You are incorrect, there are very good reasons for the tents to be there, there are human beings trying to survive by living in those tents.
That is not a reason to occupy a public space that so many used to enjoy. They do not own the space and do not look after the space and have made it very unappealing which is contrary to what the park was designed for - so no, I am not incorrect.

:up:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 6th, 2017, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Return to “North Okanagan”