Homeless Camp

Raco123

Re: Homeless Camp

Post by Raco123 »

It has nothing to do with why .... there's a 1000 reasons why...

All I know is that it's against loitering rules Provincial camp ground rules and a whole bunch of health rules They just can't be camping there no one can camp there homeless or not because you can't pay the fine doesn't make it ok. The city of Vernon is spineless they employ the RCMP and there fore can enable any rules they choose. They choose not to ! They made a take down the tent rule. They can make another rule. The city of Vernon is cowardly
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Slimebucket: you were openhearted in sharing your own personal story of how you worked diligently at not becoming a homeless person, so thank you, for your honesty.

I have no answer or anything to give as I see both sides of the coin as you outlined.

In the dim, distant past, I cannot recall the numbers as they are now, of the homeless and those who are on the streets. Way back then, it was strange to willingly choose such a degrading lifestyle or to take "handouts" or charity. People worked for their sustenance.

What the devil has happened to our society that so many are now in a position that years ago was unthinkable? Possibly, and likely, there were such souls around, but so few that you didn't notice it all the time.

Yesterday, in Vernon (center of the universe) I saw two healthy looking young adults begging change from motorists at the entry/exit of Superstore. While one, female, held up a cardboard sign indicating that donations would be readily accepted, the other sat, massaging a large dog which I am certain, costs a pretty penny to feed.

????

:200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

southy wrote:Do they ALL do drugs Gixxer?

Some just troll, nothing to add intelligent to a topic apparently.

Sadly, we are not helping our own we are going over seas which in my opinion, clean your sidewalks before you spend money around the world. There is a need obviously for the Federal Government to assist local Governments, be it mental health, addiction or housing.

Currently, I feel they are opening a real can of worms with the Cannabis legalization, guess time will tell and many of us who think outside the box will then say "I told you so!"
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

southy wrote:Have any of you considered taking your ideas and thoughts directly to those individuals, groups and/or organizations that can actually do something about this issue? I don't live in Vernon - but there must be social agencies, the mayor and councillors, RCMP community staff, medical community even some of the homeless to get their take on the issue. Seems like a real problem - maybe if the community and individuals who are concerned like yourselves joined together a real solution might be found.

So Ken7 - I'm trowling am I??? Did you not read the above post?? What is missing in this entire issue is empathy by the community. Sure you need government (maybe) federally, provincially and civic. But more important there needs to be a strong human element that can say - there has to be a solution to this. Vernon (all though considered the center of the universe / after Toronto of course) seems to think this issue will just go away on it's on. All the homeless are druggies, all the homeless don't want to work, all the homeless want to remain homeless. Well you know what I have a hard believing all that. It has to start somewhere. There has to be a group of these individuals who have enough awareness left that the community can inform and help to spearhead change. Without sounding to pollyanna - change starts with one. Form a citizens group - attend city hall meetings - contact your local mla and mp. Contact church groups (well there could be just a little bit of hypocrisy encountered there so maybe not) Again, get a couple or a few of these homeless folks on side and start from there. There has to be individuals in Vernon who have the time and concern to try just try and make a difference.

Enough for you Ken7?????
Last edited by southy on Sep 28th, 2017, 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

There's homeless people and theres drug addicts that prefer being homeless so they can spend money on drugs. Why is there such an increase in the homeless population in Vernon now? Why do they hang out all day on the grass along 25ave?

Give these people a designated area out of the public view. An area where garbage cans and porta potties can be setup. I also see new camps popping up by the creek behind London Drugs again. This problem isnt going away anytime soon.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Gixxer - you have some good ideas. Now the hard part is getting others to jump on board with you to create the changes that are necessary to deal with Vernon's homeless issue. I find it very disheartening to think that your mayor and council do not see this as a major issue and want to be part of the solution. There are also some very good social agencies in Vernon they must be aware. I understand there isn't an easy solution, however, a solution/s is out there. This is bigger than just Vernon. Kelowna has the same problem. Down here in Penticton ... same issues. Instead of fighting the homeless we need to try and figure out how we can work with them, Not easy - but I really feel it can be done. And from that perhaps a solutions or solutions can be created.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Be interesting to know how many have mental issues?, how many addicts?, how many out there to prey on both?
With rents as high as they are it's not hard to understand how someone with mental issues could get the boot by not being able to deal with money etc, also how an addict could hit the wall and run out of resources, or how dealers can burn enough bridges.
As far as why here?
Every town will have their fair share of people with mental issues that gets them on the street, but many users/addicts/dealers across this cold country fantasize of going west greener pastures where the winters are short and bearable and the summers very long and where people seem more tolerant.
Walkontough

Post by Walkontough »

The City needs to get tough with his group.. Complacency is not the action desired by Vernon residents. AS Councillor Quiring pointed out these people move to communities with lax bylaws. There is a group of homeless that are truly in need and then there is a group that chooses this route... Lets get rid of this group and clamp down. Turn on the sprinklers in the morning, take the stolen carts away.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Walkontough wrote:The City needs to get tough with his group.. Complacency is not the action desired by Vernon residents. AS Councillor Quiring pointed out these people move to communities with lax bylaws. There is a group of homeless that are truly in need and then there is a group that chooses this route... Lets get rid of this group and clamp down. Turn on the sprinklers in the morning, take the stolen carts away.

And where will they go??? They will move to another location in the city and still be problem.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The homeless were much less of a problem when they were hidden at the back of Polson Park. Now that they're out in the open in the linear park or behind London Drugs they've become a problem. I think that it's good that they're out in the open and some people have to face reality instead of living in their perfect world.

The solution isn't blaming our "lax bylaws" and urging the homeless to move to another community. It's amazing how this nation still tries to call itself Christian. We've terminated psychiatric institutions and reduced mental health care and turned the victims out onto the streets and wonder what we could possibly do to fix the situation. Oh yeah....... reduce my taxes.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

So in the spirit of looking for a solution at the city level. There were some suggestions about areas to move the camp.
Are there empty city owned lots around town? Is there an area outside of the city proper that can be converted to a " Camp"?
And if so, as suggested, outhouses and such put in place. Clean water and support workers housed on site. There are so many people that SAY these folks should be helped. So be part of the solution, and quit enabling the ones that are just lazy.
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

It's ridiculous how street people/drug addicts are taking over our cities. Perhaps municipalities should set up designated camping areas in industrial areas. Camp anywhere else, and your tent is taken away and your garbage disposed of. Back in the 80's, if you were a tourist backpacking across Canada, you couldn't just set up a tent in City Park and spend the night there. Now you have to avoid areas of downtown. It's out of control and it's just going to get worse.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Currently, I feel they are opening a real can of worms with the Cannabis legalization, guess time will tell and many of us who think outside the box will then say "I told you so!"
no it will be the parent of a child with epilepcy Off topicdisgusting to try prevent this from happening. but once a cop always a cop . no surprises . just disdain
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 29th, 2017, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm not sure how adults buying legal marijuana from a safe legal source is opening a can of worms. EVEN if young people got a hold of it illegally from a relative or friend purchased legally, it would still be a safer product than if bought on the black market and the chance of picking up on harder drugs from the same source.
Not to mention taking some money away from criminals.
Currently 100% young & old buy illegally.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “North Okanagan”