Being pushed out of town

slimebucket

Being pushed out of town

Post by slimebucket »

So yeah, I was at work today and got a phone call from my sobbing wife. The land lord, who just raised our rent a couple months ago to $1000 a month for a 2 bedroom dump in mountain view with trashed carpets, non working kitchen light, NO AC, no yard, holes in the doors, now also demands that we pay for water as well, and JUST like she did when we first move in is ordering us to give her money for STRATA fees when we have already paid them.

When we first moved in we had an agreement for rent to be 900 a month, and on the day we where moving in, she told us rent is now 950 and if we don't like it too bad.

Our land lord lives out of country and we have to deal with her mother, who barely speaks English. I think she is lying to be about how good at English she is, as I have over heard her talking to others on the phone and her English was MUCH BETTER than when she talks to me.

She also told us to expect her raising the rent to the maximum every chance she gets. She has done so twice already, and has not fixed or done anything to the place. all she says is "well everyone is charging, so we want more" THIS IS WHY WE HAVE SUCH HIGH *bleep* RENT PRICES!!

So shes coming over now at 2pm to give me an eviction notice. I have taxi drove in Vernon for 5 years, and now it looks like I have to quit. I have been looking for a place for over 5 years. I took this dump because it was the ONLY THING I could get, now I am being forced out of here, and seeing all the problems Vernon has, such as homeless invasion, police and bi law cherry picking which bi laws to uphold, Traffic problems (there is like 6 intersections in desperate need of a light, but no action) Scott Anderson doing nothing for us and only serving the rich, rent crisis, problem with farmers and orchards abusing immigrant workers, drug problem, and the list goes on and on and on it looks like karma is slapping me in the face saying LEAVE, LEAVE YOU IDIOT JUST LEAVE.

Why is everyone in Vernon so greedy and selfish? You know why so many bad drivers in Vernon? It is because they are all selfish. Why blinker?? That doesnt help me, it helps other people. screw that! Oh this guy wants in and i am blocking him, and the other lane is empty and i could move over and let him in... but..... no.. ima make him wait, oh a yellow light and someone is trying to turn left? I CAN MAKE THAT YELLOW, PETAL TO THE METAL!

thats it, i quit. Im done. screw you vernon, I give up. It was fun chatting and debating on these forums. Thank you to anyone who responded to me, debated me, or anything (even if you dont or didnt agree with me, thats what i am looking for, peoples opinions from those who do not agree with me to help me understand that point of view) but i find it highly disturbing the level of contempt, loathing and general upsetting of these forums. No I do not mean the posters are wrong and being negative nillies, there reasons for the negative posts and threads is %100 and legit. compare north okanagan forum threads to other areas. This area has a CRAZY amount of NEGATIVE (but totally legit) posts. Talking about the homeless problem, how no one is doing anything, peoples problems with traffic, problems at schools, crime, you honestly would think you where accidentally IN THE SURREY page.

Talking about surrey, I honestly just helped a lady move BACK to SURREY and to quote her "I AM MOVING TO SURREY TO GET AWAY FROM THE CRAZINESS of Vernon. Surrey has bad, but you can avoid it. Vernon, its in every street, every store, every mall, every apartment building. Drug use, homeless, crime everywhere. I not only feel saver, but I am treated with more respect on a daily basis by EVERYONE there."

That someone moves to Surrey to get away from the problems of vernon is saying alot. it is not a joke.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: being pushed out of town

Post by jimmy4321 »

So long as all the rent increases were done legally, not much you can do.
You can't blame anyone for trying to get the maximum return of their property.
I don't know why so many are determined to live in the Okanagan or BC knowing the situation.
I'd just move out of province.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

jimmy4321 wrote:I don't know why so many are determined to live in the Okanagan or BC knowing the situation.

Family, friends, current work, sense of belonging, familiarity, need the list go on?
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

jimmy4321 wrote:So long as all the rent increases were done legally, not much you can do.
You can't blame anyone for trying to get the maximum return of their property.
I don't know why so many are determined to live in the Okanagan or BC knowing the situation.

The max is like 3.2% or 5% yearly, so no it was not done legally. Well good luck, my mom just had her place broken into by the landlord and her stuff put on the street. because the guy wanted to increase the rent $300.

The dude is on bail right now, and replacing the stolon/missing things.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Being pushed out of town

Post by kgcayenne »

I had a landlord try crap like this, they were absentee landlords, and they didn't speak English either. I went and printed the forms they needed to request variances from the RTB, and provided them with the instructions on how to legally do it in my letter refusing their demands.

It worked like a charm.

How much of this crap do you have in writing from the landlord?

An eviction notice means sweet-diddly-nuttin' if they're in violation of the RTA.

By the way, if you do not learn your rights and obligations under the RTA, you stand a 100% chance of being screwed-over, or screwing something up yourself.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... g/02078_01
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

seriously this fellow has many many issues beyond what anyone here can help him with; all I can say is better luck in the city u move to for sure
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

So long..good trip. Wonder if your name on here is an indication of anything....
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

The forums are used mostly for complaining, nothing new there. Vernon has the same problems as every city. Traffic, really? On the worst day it takes 15 minutes to get anywhere. The lower mainland is a traffic nightmare, took years off my life living there:)
I agree, know your rights with the tenancy act. The max rent increase is 3% plus inflation rate which is 1% so 4% or $36 on $900 and they have to give you 3 month's notice to do it.
Rent, traffic,crime will not be better in Surrey.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

If you find a place that does not have these problems, please come back and let us know.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I have never had a problem with any landlords or building managers, however for most of my life I have paid just a little more initially for a much nicer place.

With the exception of now, when I only see my own bed a day or two most months due to work. So I am renting a room from a friend in a not so nice place.

She has had simular issues with the landlord, however not as bad as you described.
( thankfully she does an amazing job dealing with him legally )

So from my experience, why not just open up your wallet a little more and rent a nicer place.
The chances are that you will be much happier, save money on rent and utilities in a short time and have good landlords or building managers.

Return to “North Okanagan”