Flaggers needs manners

jinglebell

Flaggers needs manners

Post by jinglebell »

In response to an article on castanet regarding a man being yelled at by a flagger in Kelowna when he tried to point out an error these people who flag need to learn how to act like civil human beings being paid to a job for peoples safety. Honestly having worked in the field I can tell you some horror stories about them acting like foul mouthed reform school girls on the job and putting not only my safetly but there own safety and that of drivers at risk I'm not saying that they all are there are some great women and men on the job but more training has to go out and consideration used
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Flaggers needs manners

Post by dontrump »

jinglebell wrote:In response to an article on castanet regarding a man being yelled at by a flagger in Kelowna when he tried to point out an error these people who flag need to learn how to act like civil human beings being paid to a job for peoples safety. Honestly having worked in the field I can tell you some horror stories about them acting like foul mouthed reform school girls on the job and putting not only my safetly but there own safety and that of drivers at risk I'm not saying that they all are there are some great women and men on the job but more training has to go out and consideration used

Ahmen to that;; the smaller and shorter and more female they are the more mean spirited they seem to be
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Highly doubtful. I worked on a paving crew for 2 summers. The harassment and verbal abuse those flaggers took on a daily bases was unbelievable. Whatever they were paid wasnt enough. The whining, complaining, and entitlement attitude from Joe Public was hilarious.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Gixxer wrote:Highly doubtful. I worked on a paving crew for 2 summers. The harassment and verbal abuse those flaggers took on a daily bases was unbelievable. Whatever they were paid wasnt enough. The whining, complaining, and entitlement attitude from Joe Public was hilarious.
Not highly doubtful. Yes flaggers get abuse but flaggers also have been a problem. One has nothing to do with the other - or shouldn't.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

How the heck is a flagger a problem? They hold up signs and we have to follow them. How the heck is this an issue? Is this really what we've come to? Complaining about flaggers? What a great world you must live in where the actions of a person holding up a stop sign has become so huge in your life.

Easy solution? Roll up your windows and follow the signs.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Chyren wrote: Easy solution? Roll up your windows and follow the signs.

That's what he was trying to tell the flagger...the signs were wrong and she freaked out!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Chyren wrote:How the heck is a flagger a problem?

Read the article the OP was referring to.

Kaltenhauser stopped to alert flaggers to the mistake, but says he was yelled at to move along.

"As I approached the Reid's Corner construction zone, I stopped to try and alert one of the flag persons of the signage error," he tells Castanet. "Another woman came up before I could even say a word, and started yelling and screaming at me to 'Get back in your car!'"

He took out his phone to show the flagger the photo he had just taken, and was told in unsavoury terms to leave or she would "smash his phone."

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#207902
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Fancy wrote:Not highly doubtful. Yes flaggers get abuse but flaggers also have been a problem. One has nothing to do with the other - or shouldn't.

Umm it kinda does. How would you react after being verbally abused hours on end? Do you think you would be able to tell Joe Public with a smile that hes going in the wrong direction after being called a dumb c--t, brian dead, or spit at?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

this guy stops his car in a construction zone then proceeds to exit his vehicle in a construction zone of course he got yelled at and rightly so idiot got what he deserved if he has a complaint he should go to the shacks where the sight superintendent would be
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

LTD wrote:this guy stops his car in a construction zone then proceeds to exit his vehicle in a construction zone of course he got yelled at and rightly so idiot got what he deserved if he has a complaint he should go to the shacks where the sight superintendent would be

Yes exactly. The problem was him and not the TCP. Maybe he should file a hurt feelings report.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Apparently others thought otherwise:
"'Oh my god!' she commented. "Where was that taken? That's a huge safety issue!"

He explained the signage error was at the south entrance to the construction zone, and the second flagger thanked him, saying she would advise her supervisor immediately.

Kaltenhauser says he also alerted a passing RCMP officer on his way home, who said he would "take a drive up there and check it out.
The first flagger needs a lesson on dealing with the public.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

You're probably right with the popularity of victim culture growing the public has too many people with fragile egos that become easily offended and hurt.
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

I'm sure the flagger was over sensitive from being yelled at all the time and over reacted. However it is a brutal job with all the idiot drivers. Just look at the flagger in Vancouver that was run over by an impatient driver who then took off.
There are a few in Vernon who are very nice. One who smiles and waves at everyone.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Bad Flaggers are like Bad cops theres always one in the group but we cant condemn a whole circle of people
over one bad apple type thing;; :130:
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

jinglebell wrote:In response to an article on castanet regarding a man being yelled at by a flagger in Kelowna when he tried to point out an error these people who flag need to learn how to act like civil human beings being paid to a job for peoples safety. Honestly having worked in the field I can tell you some horror stories about them acting like foul mouthed reform school girls on the job and putting not only my safetly but there own safety and that of drivers at risk I'm not saying that they all are there are some great women and men on the job but more training has to go out and consideration used

Completely agree with you.

Chyren wrote:How the heck is a flagger a problem? They hold up signs and we have to follow them. How the heck is this an issue? Is this really what we've come to? Complaining about flaggers? What a great world you must live in where the actions of a person holding up a stop sign has become so huge in your life.

Easy solution? Roll up your windows and follow the signs.

In your perfect world where flaggers do their job, perhaps.

I followed a vehicle through a construction zone, (by Gorman's Mill) and thought to myself "gee we're actually travelling at the construction speed" (sadly that's not the norm) when the vehicle in front of me arrived at a female flagger, for whatever reason I guess the female flagger (wrongly) thought the vehicle was speeding (it certainly was not) and using her stop sign swung it out at the vehicle, and screamed something, the vehicle swerved to the left and if there had been an oncoming vehicle, bang. Even if the vehicle had been doing something wrong, causing an accident is opposite of why the flagger is there.

The flagger so uninterested in their job that they have the sequence of "slow" and "stop" backwards, and holds up the "slow" sign and steps in front of traffic to stop them. Then when time to go, turns the "stop" side toward the traffic and waves them on.

Gixxer wrote:Umm it kinda does. How would you react after being verbally abused hours on end? Do you think you would be able to tell Joe Public with a smile that hes going in the wrong direction after being called a dumb c--t, brian dead, or spit at?

Wouldn't the world be great if all of our jobs entailed just dealing with wonderful polite "customers", or pleasant dealings with others.

So, the cop who just attended a call regarding horrible beating of a child, is OK to be abrupt and rude to you when you flag him down to ask a question ?

The ambulance paramedic who just scrapped a dead child off the roadway, isn't sensitive to your minor complaint that you call and ambulance for. They're OK to be rude ?

All occupations have challenges, being well trained and professional separates the good from the bad.

Perhaps in your occupation, after you've had a negative dealing with someone, be that a customer, co-worker or boss, you then have the right to treat the next person you deal with rudely, but most of us don't.
Last edited by my5cents on Oct 2nd, 2017, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “North Okanagan”