Possible bail for Sagmoen

Should Sagmoen be granted bail??

Yes
6%
No
39%
Definitely not
19%
No way!! What’s wrong with our courts!????
36%

Total votes: 36

Because_They_Lie
Banned

Re: Possible bail for Sagmoen

Post by Because_They_Lie »

The man who has become a rallying point for violence against women protests may gain his freedom today – at least for a while.

Curtis Sagmoen is facing numerous charges in relation to alleged violent acts against women in the sex trade.

He has been held in custody since his arrest in October 2017, but may be granted bail today. A trial date has not been set.

When Sagmoen appears in a Vernon courtroom, he will not be alone.

Once again, protesters are planning to rally on the steps of the Vernon courthouse at 2 p.m.

Jody Leon is helping to organize today's rally and she expects a strong turnout.

The rally will be in support of Tracy Genereaux, whose remains were found last year on a farm owned by Sagmoen's parents, but they will also be protesting violence against women.

Police are calling the death of Genereaux suspicious, but no connection to Sagmoen has been made.

“People will be converging on the steps of the Vernon courthouse and what they want to state is they would like resolution for the remaining murdered and missing women, and resolution for Tracy Genereaux and they are calling for justice; they are calling for no violence against women,” said Leon.

Ashlee Simpson, Deanna Wertz, Nicole Bell and Caitlin Potts all have gone missing from the North Okanagan-Shuswap area.

Despite not being convicted on any of the charges against him, Sagmoen has become a flashpoint for anti-violence protests.

“There have been charges against him that are from some of the most vulnerable women in the Vernon area,” said Leon. She added people want to uphold and support those women.

“People have not lost interest or lost focus that there are murdered and missing women that still need answers. Their families are grieving.”

Sagmoen timeline
•Arrested in early October 2017, Sagmoen faced six charges in connection with an Aug. 28 incident near Falkland where a sex worker alleges she was threatened with a gun before escaping. The charges include intentionally discharging a firearm and uttering threats.
•On Oct. 13, 2017, police issued a public appeal for any information on the man involved in the Aug. 28 incident.
•On Oct. 19, 2017, police launched a massive search of a farm on Salmon River Road near Silver Creek. The farm is owned by Sagmoen's parents.
•On Oct. 21, police confirm they found human remains at the farm.
•On Nov. 1, 2017, RCMP confirmed the remains on the farm were those of 18-year-old Tracy Genereaux, who went missing earlier in the year. Police are calling her death suspicious, but have not connected Sagmoen to Genereaux in any way.
•On Dec. 15, 2017, CTV news linked Sagmoen to an alleged violent incident from January 2013 at a townhouse in Maple Ridge.
•On Jan. 31, 2018 Sagmoen faced new charges of assault causing bodily harm and assault with a weapon, stemming from an incident on Aug. 10, 2017, and assault stemming from an incident that occurred on or about July 1, 2017.

Sagmoen has been held in custody since his arrest and has had bail hearings postponed several times. He will appear in a Vernon courtroom today to see if he will be granted bail.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-219913-2-.htm

The sentence that I have made bold is a clear statement.

How is it possible that the RCMP state that they have made no connection to Sagmoen?

I really cannot comprehend this "no connection" concept................................................
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Did the actual murderer visit this families property when no one was home or everyone was sleeping and dig up the ground and toss her in sight unseen??

Seriously!
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

If that's the only way you're willing to look at this, then there are only two ways this can go.

1. Somehow, someone other than Mr. Sagmoen committed this crime, hence no connection between him and the remains.

2. Mr. Sagmoen did commit this crime, and the police may be quite sure of that, but the only evidence tying him to it is circumstantial. Hence, no connection and no charges.

Which scenario do you prefer?

What was the condition of the remains found? Were investigators able to determine a cause of death? Can they even say with certainty that Ms. Genereaux was murdered? Do they have anything that will hold up in court, besides "obviously it was him"?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

JayByrd wrote:If that's the only way you're willing to look at this, then there are only two ways this can go.

1. Somehow, someone other than Mr. Sagmoen committed this crime, hence no connection between him and the remains.

2. Mr. Sagmoen did commit this crime, and the police may be quite sure of that, but the only evidence tying him to it is circumstantial. Hence, no connection and no charges.

Which scenario do you prefer?

What was the condition of the remains found? Were investigators able to determine a cause of death? Can they even say with certainty that Ms. Genereaux was murdered? Do they have anything that will hold up in court, besides "obviously it was him"?

I prefer the scenario that is honest and truthful, which is not something the RCMP are used to providing.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I really think "no connection" doesn't mean in this case, what you think it means.

It doesn't mean there's no reason to suspect him.

It doesn't mean they don't see how this fits in with his pattern of behaviour.

And it doesn't mean they don't see how the location of the remains points to Mr. Sagmoen.

I think it means they have no evidence (yet), beyond the above, which is all circumstantial.

I wonder what the condition was of the remains they found. Was it her body? Parts of her body? Bones? Can they even determine a cause of death based on what they have?

Do they have any witness, or other piece of evidence, to put Mr. Sagmoen and Ms. Genereaux in the same place at the same time?

And lastly, do they have any witness or physical evidence that ties him to her death?

If the answer to the above is all no, and remains no, then they have nothing to take to court. I'm sure they know quite well whether he is responsible or not. Coming out and saying so wouldn't help anything now though.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

JayByrd wrote:I really think "no connection" doesn't mean in this case, what you think it means.

It doesn't mean there's no reason to suspect him.

It doesn't mean they don't see how this fits in with his pattern of behaviour.

And it doesn't mean they don't see how the location of the remains points to Mr. Sagmoen.

I think it means they have no evidence (yet), beyond the above, which is all circumstantial.

I wonder what the condition was of the remains they found. Was it her body? Parts of her body? Bones? Can they even determine a cause of death based on what they have?

Do they have any witness, or other piece of evidence, to put Mr. Sagmoen and Ms. Genereaux in the same place at the same time?

And lastly, do they have any witness or physical evidence that ties him to her death?

If the answer to the above is all no, and remains no, then they have nothing to take to court. I'm sure they know quite well whether he is responsible or not. Coming out and saying so wouldn't help anything now though.

As with most Truth revealing, we will have to wait and see.

Thank you for clarifying your point. It makes sense.

I feel deeply for the families of all the missing women from around that area. Something is very OFF.

As always, take your time RCMP....that way more women can get hurt, raped, disappeared and murdered.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'd rather see both police & the Crown do their due diligence and get all the evidence needed, for a full sentence conviction of the guilty person (& anyone else involved).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

GordonH wrote:I'd rather see both police & the Crown do their due diligence and get all the evidence needed, for a full sentence conviction of the guilty person (& anyone else involved).

Of course. But I'd bet a million if you were the father of one of these girls, you wouldn't be so content with the current disclosure, these familes deserve better.

Protecting the "members" is the top priority of the RCMP. that means all members of government period. Just as we see here:

Village reeling after charges

Photo: The Canadian Press
Luke Strimbold, Mayor of the Village of Burns Lake, addresses the media during a news conference as he responds to the explosion at Babine Forest Products mill in Burns Lake, B.C. Saturday, Jan. 21, 2012. An Indigenous leader in central British Columbia says his community is angry and disheartened after its former mayor was charged with sex-related offences. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward

An Indigenous leader in central British Columbia says his community is angry and disheartened after its former mayor was charged with sex-related offences.

Chief Wilf Adam of the Lake Babine Nation says he also has questions about the length of time it took the RCMP to reveal that Luke Strimbold, the former mayor of nearby Burns Lake, had been charged with numerous counts of sexual assault and related offences.

Court records show Strimbold, 28, was arrested and released on Feb. 3, but news about the case didn't emerge until last week.

Adam said he first heard about the charges as he got off a plane and his phone was flooded with messages.

"When I first heard about it, I was very, very upset," said Adam, who noted that he had a close working relationship with Strimbold.

RCMP issued a statement Friday about the charges they say relate to "allegations that occurred in 2016."

Police have refused to say how many charges Strimbold is facing or what the "related offences" are, but Mounties are investigating the possibility there are more complainants.

Strimbold did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The news has been difficult for the tight-knit community and people want to know why it took so long for the information to emerge, Adam said.

"It's disheartening to hear this. Why were we left out of the whole process when the charges did come down?"

Adam said he met with RCMP in Burns Lake on Monday and was told the nature of the case and that a publication ban prevented investigators from releasing any details earlier.

Court records show the ban prevents any identifying information about complainants or witnesses from being published.

In 2011, when Strimbold was first voted in at the age of 21, he became the youngest mayor ever to be elected in the province.

He led the community through a deadly explosion at a sawmill in 2012 that killed two men and injured 19 others.

In 2013, he was awarded the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal for community service and, in 2014, BCBusiness magazine named Strimbold one of the Top 30 leaders under the age of 30, recognizing his efforts to successfully rebuild the local economy.

The young mayor worked closely with First Nations in the area on a variety of issues and helped out at a camp that Lake Babine put on about five years ago, Adam said.

"He's a very trustworthy person. And he's willing to help out as much as he can with anything that you ask of him."

Strimbold was re-elected in 2014, but resigned in September 2016, saying he wanted to further his education and spend more time with his family.

Adam said the mayor quit "very abruptly" and they haven't spoken since.

Strimbold also served as membership chair for the B.C. Liberals. Party officials said they became aware of the charges against him on Friday and that Strimbold had resigned as both a member of the executive and as a member of the party.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/220337/Village-reeling-after-charges

They claim there was a publication ban due to complainants and witnesses, but it is my personal opinion that because this person is a "member" of government, this the real reason for the publication ban.

So the community gets no information for weeks, finally they are permitted to be aware of what their mayor was up too - not really though.

Notice media will take down the character of any Average Jo publically, but NEVER the RCMP or Government. They are not accountable and will never be held to account due to allowance by citizens of the country of Canada (I mean the Corporation called Canada)
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Still not charged in that poor girls death. What the cops think she killed herself there. Buried her self too ?
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Sadly, the Crown has to have proof that he did it. I believe he did it, too. The Crown knows what kind of evidence they have to put before a jury to get a conviction, and they likely just don't have it. It doesn't have anything to do with "leftist judges" or a broken legal system, it has to do with evidence.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

What more evidence could one need . They have a body. A pattern of abuse. Etc .. whole place is a crime scene. I am shocked no charges. To say they do not think they have the evidence. Name a trial they had any more evidence. Never get nobody for nothing if this guy walks
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Whos to say she was murdered? Yes her body was found on the property but she couldve OD.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

There are huge amount of forestry roads in Shuswap area that a murderer could use to go to discard a victims body. Whomever cause the death of this young woman did not do that, instead buried the body on private property.

Hopefully the guilty person is arrested, charged... found guilty in a court of law & sentence to maximum time. That is minimum society could do for this young woman & her family.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Yes, they have a body.
Yes, they have a pattern of abuse of women.
Yes, the body was buried on the back 40 of his parents place.
So just what evidence do they have tieing the kid to the death?

They had a forensic team scouring that site for hair, DNA, or any other clue to who killed her. If they came up with something, I'm sure that charges would have been laid, and they still might. Unlike some TV shows, DNA evidence isn't proven before the next commercial. It takes months to prove a match. Yes, we all think he did it and he might be a creep, but more is required than an opinion.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bumped
https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/24 ... or-Sagmoen

Small step in the right direction.

Return to “North Okanagan”