Possible bail for Sagmoen

Should Sagmoen be granted bail??

Yes
6%
No
39%
Definitely not
19%
No way!! What’s wrong with our courts!????
36%

Total votes: 36

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Possible bail for Sagmoen

Post by bob vernon »

Judges know what the score is. There is enough outrage that's been whipped up over the Sangmoen case that the judge feels that Sangmoen is safer in jail than out for the time being. Eventually, the Crown will have to just go ahead with the charges involving threatening or gather evidence that he's a killer. The murder charge requires EVIDENCE. Not just a belief that he did it. It has nothing to do with the RCMP being inept, or as some suggested, being part of some weird conspiracy. It has to do with evidence that can be presented in court.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I think anyone who commits serious crimes should be held in custody until appearing in Court.

Just a few days ago we had two separate cases where police officers were assaulted & yet both were released on a promise to appear which will be months from now ?

However Sagmoen is denied bail ? Then we are told bail might be possible ?

I don't understand anything regarding our Legal System anymore except that a lot of money is spent.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

You can't compare any case to any other case. The judge has to make a judgement call (pun intended) based on what is known to that date, as to chance of that person offending if released,danger level to the public while out on bail, likelihood of violating bail conditions, not turning up for trial. News reports can't convey the details that the judge hears, or provide us with the years of experience that s/he has. That's why we have judges and not lynch mobs deciding these things. I am not even sure that uninformed public opinion (aka a lynch mob), about a person in custody has any bearing on the judge's decision. We don't even know what evidence there is linking Sagmoen to the body found near his home.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

The body was in his yard. What more do they need. Amazing the same confused person supports letting a creep go. While the same person is wanting the rest of the people to be helpless and at the mercy of people like said creep.

Liberals are confused about everything.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Jflem1983 wrote:The body was in his yard. What more do they need.

Ummm, actual evidence linking the crime to the individual maybe?

Sorry, but everyone has the right to a fair trial, and that includes conclusive evidence and not just saying "well, the body was in his yard".
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

OKkayak wrote:

Ummm, actual evidence linking the crime to the individual maybe?

Sorry, but everyone has the right to a fair trial, and that includes conclusive evidence and not just saying "well, the body was in his yard".

Ok ill raise it. How many girls murfldered in that area since he been locked up. Oh gotchya. Dont be a liberal. Look at facts
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The police are looking at facts. Assumptions aren't facts.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Jflem1983 wrote:Ok ill raise it. How many girls murfldered in that area since he been locked up. Oh gotchya. Dont be a liberal. Look at facts

Those aren't facts to convict someone of being guilty or not, this isn't 1922 :up:
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Put it to a jury then. Let 12 honest men and women decide.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

He has to be charged first. Can't change the judicial system.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Jflem1983 wrote:Put it to a jury then. Let 12 honest men and women decide.

You have to connect a person to the crime and then convince the jury without a doubt that he/she is guilty. Just saying "its their backyard" or "there haven't been any crimes there since" is a sure way to lose the confidence of the jury, thus one needs concrete evidence. :up:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

OKkayak wrote:Ummm, actual evidence linking the crime to the individual maybe?

If nothing else it is illegal to bury someone in BC outside a designated cemetery.

Added later: it is pretty damning for recently deceased body to be buried on ones family property.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Jflem1983 wrote:The body was in his yard. What more do they need. Amazing the same confused person supports letting a creep go. While the same person is wanting the rest of the people to be helpless and at the mercy of people like said creep.

Liberals are confused about everything.

They need a lot things: evidence, connecting the guy to the body, e.g. hair, trace evidence, dna, or some of her personal effects among his belongings (but that wouldn't be conclusive either if he had said she spent time with him). a weapon with her dna in his possession or with his fingerprints. Then they go to a grand jury or prosecutor to decide if case should go ahead. Jury has to convict beyond a reasonable doubt. so the more evidence the police can collect before they get to court the better the chance of locking someone up. You can't just say, It looks like he probably did it.

I have property,(easily accessible without detection in the dark). I would expect to be in hot water and treated very seriously by police if a body was found on my property . But there is zero chance that a)I put it there or b) I was responsible for their death. And the police have to consider that the person who put the body there is not necessarily the same person who killed them . So I hope to god the jury would only convict on actual evidence and not just because a body turns up on my property. No it makes no difference that I am a swell person or a nasty person, it has to be based on evidence.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

OKkayak wrote:Ummm, actual evidence linking the crime to the individual maybe?

GordonH wrote:If nothing else it is illegal to bury someone in BC outside a designated cemetery.

Added later: it is pretty damning for recently deceased body to be buried on ones family property.

Depends who buried the body. Could be the killer was someone else and buried it on his parents' property just to remove suspicion from themselves.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Nov 19th, 2018, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote:
If nothing else it is illegal to bury someone in BC outside a designated cemetery.

You need to provide evidence that the suspect was the one who buried the body, seriously people, this isn't rocket science.

Return to “North Okanagan”