Vernon Aquatic Center

Alice in Vernon

Vernon Aquatic Center

Post by Alice in Vernon »

Thoroughly disgusted with the condition and cleanliness of the women's (don't know about the men's, never been in there) change room and showers. It really needs an overhaul and some enforced rules like, no shaving in the shower. There is always hair in the drains and it's not just head hair and the floor is filthy. I know of women who will not walk barefoot in there and I don't blame them. Wise to wear flip flops not just to avoid athletes foot but also to keep the grime and dirt from sticking to the bottom of your feet. I certainly wouldn't invite tourists to visit this facility, it's embarrassing.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Vernon Aquatic Center

Post by southy »

Didn't I read somewhere that your fine city is looking at a new facility?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I remember going to this very same building back in elementary school, that is a very long time ago.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

So, overhauling the facility or building a new pool would change human behaviour and hygiene how exactly?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

So Dizzy, I guess they could trash the rebuild/expansion and spend that money on hiring staff who will oversee, emphasis on see those showering and make sure no one is shaving their privates, or doing any other bodily type things to the floor. I think what the OP was getting at is this facility is old and tired and we know what old and tired looks like on humans, same thing with this facility.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I remember going to this very same building back in elementary school, that is a very long time ago.

Follow up, if memory serves me. There was high diving platform/or board, it was removed after serious accident (may even had been fatal).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Gord you have such wonderful memories :130:
Alice in Vernon

Changing peoples behavior is one thing but, how about having some rules and, enforcing them. Other aquatic centers have rules covering these issues and seem to uphold the cleanliness of their facilities. I believe that may be the reason people drive to Kelowna to enjoy their aquatic facilities. Yes, our aquatic center is looking old and tired. Time to focus on upgrading.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

southy wrote:So Dizzy, I guess they could trash the rebuild/expansion and spend that money on hiring staff who will oversee, emphasis on see those showering and make sure no one is shaving their privates, or doing any other bodily type things to the floor. I think what the OP was getting at is this facility is old and tired and we know what old and tired looks like on humans, same thing with this facility.

Relax, I was simply asking a question trying to connect the need for an overhaul to people's behaviour :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Alice in Vernon wrote:Changing peoples behavior is one thing but, how about having some rules and, enforcing them. Other aquatic centers have rules covering these issues and seem to uphold the cleanliness of their facilities. I believe that may be the reason people drive to Kelowna to enjoy their aquatic facilities. Yes, our aquatic center is looking old and tired. Time to focus on upgrading.

I've been to the "new" pool once - but spent many, many, many winter weekends in the old pool.

Do they not have rules posted? We had hygiene rules back when I frequented the old pool. I remember we'd always get in trouble for hanging and swinging on the ropes in the showers. We'd get in trouble for not rinsing off before using the pool. Have the rules and enforcement been relaxed?

As far as enforcement goes - have you communicated your concerns to pool management and the City of Vernon and NORD?
Alice in Vernon

Have you been in the ladies change room or shower? Recently? I would like to hear from some "ladies" who have.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Alice in Vernon wrote:Have you been in the ladies change room or shower? Recently?

I tried, but thats another one of those rules they enforce - darn :biggrin:

One of my favourite memories of the old pool was the old weight room that was downstairs, there was a window in the pool that you could look down into the weight room from - that was always cool.

Return to “North Okanagan”