Vernon is closer to the beginning of Fraser than the end

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Vernon is closer to the beginning of Fraser than the end

Post by Glacier »

Vernon is 60km closer to the beginning of the Fraser River than the mouth in Vancouver.

distance2.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Vernon is closer to the beginning of Fraser than the end

Post by GordonH »

Thanks, that's something I've always wondered about...... not really. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

7783644A-EFEC-445E-8BD6-1C98D7A51B50.gif
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:Thanks, that's something I've always wondered about...... not really. lol

Ya, well I just found this interesting because I always viewed the headwaters of the Fraser as wayyyyyyyyyy up north somewhere. Now, the other thing is that if you tried to get there it would take you at least 12 hours. Maybe more like 24 because you'd have to bushwhack in there.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

So is that where all the Gold is Pa ?

The headwaters ?

There's Gold downstream, stands to reason it comes from upstream.

Kin I get a grubstake ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I came up with different measurements. Both measurements are from Vernon.

AEE620EB-18D8-466A-A30A-5BD0F2699011.png

47C892D6-859E-42B8-9C19-F34EFF51812B.png
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

dirtybiker wrote:So is that where all the Gold is Pa ?

The headwaters ?

There's Gold downstream, stands to reason it comes from upstream.

Kin I get a grubstake ?

Didn't they teach you anything in school?
The Gold is at the end of the Rainbow. However don't follow me, I only find a box of Lucky Charms whenever I reach the end :135:
Last edited by stuphoto on Mar 24th, 2018, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

:topic: When I punch in a destination in my Garmin GPS it first shows me the distance in a straight line. I have often been surprised how close some cities actually are to one another, when it takes all day to drive there.
An example, Revelstoke to Grand Forks is something like 180km in a straight line, but 395km or around 5 hours to drive there.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Funny a while ago I put in my mom's postal code in Crappy Tire to see what was the closest Cambodian Tire fully expecting Williams Lake to be #1 because it's only a 2 hour drive east to get to the WL Canadian Tire, but nope! The website listed Powell River and I think Campbell River as the closest stores EVEN THOUGH IT TAKES MORE THAN 24 HOURS TO DRIVE TO POWELL RIVER!
- Douglas Murray
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Closer as the bird flies yes. The mouth is actually quite a ways south of it’s furthest northern extent, which even still isn’t even half way up the province.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Omnitheo wrote:Closer as the bird flies yes. The mouth is actually quite a ways south of it’s furthest northern extent, which even still isn’t even half way up the province.

Now this is a debatable assertion. How do you define your terms? The northern most bend of the Fraser River is here.

That's at 54.26 degrees North. The northernmost point is at 60N, and the southern most point is south of 48.3N. Therefore, the midpoint is south of 54.15N.

If you consider the 49th the southern border (because eff'em in Victoria), then you are right. At that rate, you'd have to hit 54.5N to be at the midpoint.

BTW, the geographic centre of BC is at 53.97N.
- Douglas Murray
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I think the bigger question is whether we are nearer the beginning or the end of time.

Return to “North Okanagan”