Page 3 of 5

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Sep 28th, 2018, 8:24 am
by Hassel99
dirtybiker wrote::topic:

Ahem !!!

Other Cities, Towns, and Communities embrace the activity that Motorsports brings.
The diversified people of all walks of life.
The full on, positive atmosphere.
The draw of Hometown, Provincial, and potential for Canadian National Events.
The Business, The Monies !!!(for those that think that way.)

But..Naysayers don't like the noise, even though under required decibel ranges...
A few times a year.

I even imagine that track flooded during cold climes for ice racing..

Just my mind...



But we have a motorsport track already in a great spot out of town but still close enough easily travel to.
Even with that chumps complained about the noise on the weekends and sued the track.

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Sep 28th, 2018, 9:09 am
by TheFordo11
I’m all for dirt bikes that being said I don’t think the city has enough supporters for that idea and I think they could find a space that won’t have homes being effected by the noise. Much like the dirt bike course in Bridal Falls on the coast. Maybe in or around the current race track heading toward Fallland?

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 18th, 2019, 10:50 am
by bob vernon
The battle is over. The city now can redevelop this land and I hope that most of it is used for recreation. I like the use of the southern fringe as parking for the Multi-plex. Unlike larger cities, like Kelowna, we still have the room to allow people to drive to the rink and park. Try going down to Kelowna sometime to their performing arts centre or a Rockets game and you'll appreciate the parking near Vernon's Multi-plex.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/24 ... ck-is-over

The race track area isn't anywhere near as big as the recreation area in Kamloops on McArthur Island, but we should try to emulate that kind of place. Sports fields with trees and park between and around the edge. Kamloops residents don't just go to McArthur Island for sports, they go there just for a walk. We should try to do a better job with this area than we did with Marshall Fields.

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 18th, 2019, 11:44 am
by Gixxer
dirtybiker wrote::topic:

Ahem !!!

Other Cities, Towns, and Communities embrace the activity that Motorsports brings.
The diversified people of all walks of life.
The full on, positive atmosphere.
The draw of Hometown, Provincial, and potential for Canadian National Events.
The Business, The Monies !!!(for those that think that way.)

But..Naysayers don't like the noise, even though under required decibel ranges...
A few times a year.

I even imagine that track flooded during cold climes for ice racing..

Just my mind...


Too many whiner and complainers of the Okanagan in the area.

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 18th, 2019, 12:23 pm
by OKkayak
Like I said earlier in this thread, and now more than relevant.

Put up a Costco, seeing that the Kelowna one is moving across the lake. It'll make the 3 people in Vernon who vowed not to go to the new Costco.

Just don't build a bridge near it though, otherwise they'll boycott that one too [icon_lol2.gif]

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 18th, 2019, 10:31 pm
by gt63
first of all we need to relieve the traffic congestion heading south of 48th ave on 97 caused by the poorly designed 43rd ave intersection,having no designated right turn lane that causes backups all the way to 48th ave, lets not forget to mention all the traffic that cuts through the vernon square mall to avoid 3 to 4 traffic light waits during peak traffic times just to get to the alexis park 500 speedway, all South Vernonites, Belavistiens, Turtle Mountaineers, Riserites, Landingers aka the other half of the city know what i'm talking about. lets use some of that already owned property and finally complete the traffic flow problem into south vernon that's created by the 43rd ave intersection.
lets create a new roadway that will benefit the south vernonites, the arena goers, the future park space users and the traffic travelling south through the city.
We need an artery that exits the southbound highway somewhere between 48th ave and the Vernon square mall rear service road on the north side of the park.
This road will be an additional parking access to the arena and the new the park and connect to old kamloops road via a round about, replace the stop light at alexis park drive and 43rd ave with another round about.
I can hear the traffic flowing from here.
The youth of the city needs to have the majority say in what goes into the rest of the space not a bunch of 55+ like me, they are the ones that are going to be paying for what goes into these spaces.
Personally I'd like to see a motocross track instead of a flat track as previously mentioned, just my $0.02

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 20th, 2019, 9:15 am
by bob vernon
For sure I can see some kind of road from 48th leading over to Alexis Park Drive or Old Kamloops Road to take some of the load off of the highway as it enters downtown. But wasn't there a bypass considered 15 or 20 year ago and all the folks anywhere near the proposed road rose up and the civic politicians all lost their courage. And now that route is largely filled in. Not many people in this new path, but I can imagine how Alexis Park residents will feel about their street turning into a freeway. Oh, wait, the traffic on that street already runs at about 70 km/h.

The rest of the racetrack land? I can't see anything that is motorized being considered. Flat track motorcycle racing? Dirt bikes? The noise from the neighbours will be louder than motorcycles.

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 20th, 2019, 10:13 am
by dontrump
the main problem if you build any hi volumns people center at kin race track is there are no sufficient road ways in or out of that area Look at the mess you get when they simply have a junior hockey game there now

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 20th, 2019, 10:25 am
by southy
OKkayak wrote:Like I said earlier in this thread, and now more than relevant.

Put up a Costco, seeing that the Kelowna one is moving across the lake. It'll make the 3 people in Vernon who vowed not to go to the new Costco.

Just don't build a bridge near it though, otherwise they'll boycott that one too [icon_lol2.gif]


I don't know Kayak .. Think there would be a major pushback due to the noise from increased traffic. Could build a wall around it and create heavens gate for all those NIMBY types in Vernon. A peaceful oasis of contented seniorism. No noise. Just peace.

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 20th, 2019, 11:57 am
by Scrobins94
Build a supportive housing complex.

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 20th, 2019, 12:00 pm
by OKkayak
gt63 wrote:first of all we need to relieve the traffic congestion heading south of 48th ave on 97 caused by the poorly designed 43rd ave intersection,having no designated right turn lane that causes backups all the way to 48th ave

I'd be happy if they would just finally fix that pothole/ridden part on Hwy 97 when going southbound crossing 43rd and the grooves that makes one sea sick turning northbound onto 97 from 43rd :biggrin:

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 20th, 2019, 3:37 pm
by southy
One would think that with your new mayor Vic .. being a think outside of the box kinda guy, he just might come up with something unique. Maybe he could use this property to build a new train station and turnaround area for his conceived valley wide train. Heck he could even put a hotel there as well .. With a casino of course whose kick back to the city will easily pay for construction of it all. Think even bigger. He could also put in a heliport to reduce the noise problem that presently exists out by the airport. A great opportunity for those foreign interests to simply hop in a helicopter in Vancouver and enjoy a quick flight to Vernon for an evening of big time gambling.

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 20th, 2019, 8:54 pm
by gt63
bob vernon wrote:For sure I can see some kind of road from 48th leading over to Alexis Park Drive or Old Kamloops Road to take some of the load off of the highway as it enters downtown. But wasn't there a bypass considered 15 or 20 year ago and all the folks anywhere near the proposed road rose up and the civic politicians all lost their courage. And now that route is largely filled in. Not many people in this new path, but I can imagine how Alexis Park residents will feel about their street turning into a freeway. Oh, wait, the traffic on that street already runs at about 70 km/h.

The rest of the racetrack land? I can't see anything that is motorized being considered. Flat track motorcycle racing? Dirt bikes? The noise from the neighbours will be louder than motorcycles.


I know a moto sports field will never happen, just had to add that to rally the locals.
does anyone know why the alexis park speedway was even started and why it was never finished? I moved to this beautiful city when the construction was just starting, from what I remember it took a couple of years to complete.
sorry for highjacking the tread but the road and park are related so cut me a little slack. lol

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 20th, 2019, 10:35 pm
by bob vernon
A motorcycle race trace, a motocross, plus a gun range. If you want to stick it to the snowflakes up on Turtle Mountain and in Alexis Park, do a real good job.

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

PostPosted: Jan 20th, 2019, 10:44 pm
by dirtybiker
^^^Most that afford to do motorsport don't have funds to waste
on nasty vices.


Never hurts to be a good shot, never know what the future brings.