What to do with the Kin Race track

Re: What to do with the Kin Race track

Postby TheTruth11 » Jan 21st, 2019, 3:00 pm

I said it before I will say it again. Expand on the services provided there (additional rink/lacrosse floor, indoor soccer field, indoor water park, skateboard park etc.) and improve access in and out of the property (48th Ave. connector). Continued growth to emulate sites in Kelowna and Kamloops would be great to see. Rid our community of old arenas and pools in areas that could be redeveloped as part of an initiative to build affordable housing in Vernon.

They should also get rid of all the old sketchy motels that line Highway 97 and replace them with multi-family housing, but that is a whole other conversation.
TheTruth11

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby dontrump » Jan 21st, 2019, 3:37 pm

saw a comment about the 3 people who vowed to not go to to westbank if they locate there? well add me to that list.I have been a executive member since 1990 and Costco moving to westbank has to be the dumbest thing they have done in their history of business in Canada
Kelowna city council denying them the ability to build across from the airport is equally as stupid ;; the problem in this world is you have groups of people whom are elected to look out for the over all well being of the general BUYING public but instead always seem to rule with thier personal opinions ;; the ex Kelowna city manger is a *bleep* in my opinion

right up there with the *bleep* that caused the 22 million dollar stickle road fiasco
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 739 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 21st, 2019, 11:24 pm

^^^^^ [icon_lol2.gif] ^^^ Check the heading.

:topic:

Any use of the land that is for recreation, In my mind, recreation for the young'uns'
If combined with life skills, even better.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3840 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:39 am

dontrump wrote:saw a comment about the 3 people who vowed to not go to to westbank if they locate there? well add me to that list.I have been a executive member since 1990 and Costco moving to westbank has to be the dumbest thing they have done in their history of business in Canada

I'm sure that Costco would love to hear your business plan and I'm sure they'll be slapping themselves in awe :laugh:
dontrump wrote:right up there with the *bleep* that caused the 22 million dollar stickle road fiasco

Money well spent. Intersection is safer and keeps traffic moving. Thats thinking ahead, not just band aiding it with a traffic light that will have to be ripped down the more cars keep travelling up and down 97 :up:
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5043 posts

Postby BlackHoleSun » Mar 11th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I actually appreciate the notion of cleaning up the racetrack. I get to drive by the area everyday, and in some small way lament that there is an excellent space full of opportunity, should it be cleaned up.

I recognize that nothing is going to happen overnight, but as far as proposed uses for the space, I would hate to see a concrete grey monstrosity of a building go up in the old racetrack's place.

Maybe it makes sense to split the grounds up, additional parking for the arena, and an off-leash dog park. Both would have reasonably low infrastructure costs, and could help with 2 problems this town already has.
BlackHoleSun

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ferri » Mar 11th, 2019, 6:11 pm

“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 11305 posts

Postby dontrump » Mar 12th, 2019, 8:16 am

OKkayak wrote:
dontrump wrote:saw a comment about the 3 people who vowed to not go to to westbank if they locate there? well add me to that list.I have been a executive member since 1990 and Costco moving to westbank has to be the dumbest thing they have done in their history of business in Canada

I'm sure that Costco would love to hear your business plan and I'm sure they'll be slapping themselves in awe :laugh:
dontrump wrote:right up there with the *bleep* that caused the 22 million dollar stickle road fiasco

Money well spent. Intersection is safer and keeps traffic moving. Thats thinking ahead, not just band aiding it with a traffic light that will have to be ripped down the more cars keep travelling up and down 97 :up:

yes agree sometimes thinking outside the box and actually listening to consumers bares more fruit than a bunch of arrogant directors screaming ""we know best""
same deal with the stickle road They DOH actually did what I had suggested 2 years ago as far as lane separations and all that
the lack of a lite was certainly short sighted thinking on their part and the one way 20 street will come back to haunt them I guarantee
Last edited by dontrump on Mar 12th, 2019, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby alanjh595 » Mar 12th, 2019, 11:11 am

Maybe they should have turned the whole property into a homeless camp ? ?

I DO mean that with all sincerity. Just think about the government $$ they could receive for their humanitarian aid ?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4857 posts

Postby tabubil » Mar 12th, 2019, 12:16 pm

I wish all of those that want a recreation centrre would stop and think We are looking at $45 million+ for that not needed Cultural centre and now you want to up to another $20-40 million for another recreation centre. Where do you think all this money is going to come from? If you want you can pay for my increase in taxes. Do not forget the city also has great plans to spend our money of capital projects that we are not aware of and maybe we should put extra money into upgrading all the old sewer and water lines in this town first, instead of fixing the breaks one after the other, this is not cost effective.
The use for affordable housing is a great idea, I am even in favor of giving them a tax break to build on where 60% are below market rental value.
Pickle ball you are getting you big area partially paid for with taxpayers money that is enough.
The idea of having a city controlled and managed area for a tent city is worth a public meeting for input, only if the city will listen. If it is truly for homeless people not homeless by addition, that means completely dry, then yes give them a chance.
tabubil

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby BlackHoleSun » Mar 12th, 2019, 2:04 pm

tabubil wrote:I
The idea of having a city controlled and managed area for a tent city is worth a public meeting for input, only if the city will listen. If it is truly for homeless people not homeless by addition, that means completely dry, then yes give them a chance.

I can see a couple of issues with this:

Firstly, I think it would be incredibly hard to monitor; policing this type of encampment would be expensive and dangerous too. Never-mind the moral aspect of having even a "dry-camp" adjacent to an elementary school.

Secondly, I think there would also be a matter of aesthetic too, not a lot of people like to look of an encampment, let along one that is en-route to golf courses, O'Keefe ranch, and Parker Cove.

I agree, there needs to be more options for the truly homeless, but I think it needs to be in a location where they would have better access to the services that they need, rather than relegated to an empty lot away from anything.
BlackHoleSun

Postby Iamme » Mar 12th, 2019, 5:54 pm

BlackHoleSun wrote:
tabubil wrote:I

I can see a couple of issues with this:

Firstly, I think it would be incredibly hard to monitor; policing this type of encampment would be expensive and dangerous too. Never-mind the moral aspect of having even a "dry-camp" adjacent to an elementary school.

Secondly, I think there would also be a matter of aesthetic too, not a lot of people like to look of an encampment, let along one that is en-route to golf courses, O'Keefe ranch, and Parker Cove.

I agree, there needs to be more options for the truly homeless, but I think it needs to be in a location where they would have better access to the services that they need, rather than relegated to an empty lot away from anything.

I agree wholeheartedly. Like so many areas now in Vernon, it’s being ovverrun by the addicts and those thinking they deserve a handout versus a hand up. Screw the parasites who we pay for through our taxes and refuse to work or live by society’s ‘rules’ I refuse to give them a tip when they have their story on a cardboard sign, etc. They probably make more than my measly $20 per hour . Vernon has become a cesspool and a magnet for the junkies and those who are lazy. Putting a tent city anywhere is just inviting trouble like Maple Ridge for example and across from an elementary school is just a bizarre idea. Shopping at the nearby Mall is becoming like downtown Vernon and many many other cities/communities. I used to be very compassionate and sympathetic to people’s plights and volunteer/donate etc. No more. :topic: It’d be a bad move to make this place a tent city. Anything but that imho
Iamme
Fledgling

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby tabubil » Mar 13th, 2019, 11:30 am

I will go with the flow and maybe a tent city for the truly homeless not addicts could be a problem, but saying that it is too far from downtown is where we should want them. Then lets build affordable housing as I now many people of all ages that could do with better conditions, as long as the city has rent control over at least 60% for tax benefits.
This area is close to what is becoming the main business area, good bus service, you can bike all year and within walking to the down town. Services could go up with a mobile office on a fixed time table. Make the people sign a tenant agreement for a dry place and what they can and cannot use or bring in, and then ENFORCE it. They must be told how long they can stay and then move them on.
Set the standard right from the start.
The one thing the city cannot do is build on it with public money as they will drag the city into bankruptcy if you give them the all clear to build, build, build with our and our children's taxes .
tabubil

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby BlackHoleSun » Mar 13th, 2019, 11:50 am

tabubil wrote:I will go with the flow and maybe a tent city for the truly homeless not addicts could be a problem, but saying that it is too far from downtown is where we should want them. Then lets build affordable housing as I now many people of all ages that could do with better conditions, as long as the city has rent control over at least 60% for tax benefits.
This area is close to what is becoming the main business area, good bus service, you can bike all year and within walking to the down town. Services could go up with a mobile office on a fixed time table. Make the people sign a tenant agreement for a dry place and what they can and cannot use or bring in, and then ENFORCE it. They must be told how long they can stay and then move them on.
Set the standard right from the start.
The one thing the city cannot do is build on it with public money as they will drag the city into bankruptcy if you give them the all clear to build, build, build with our and our children's taxes .

While I don't really want to get into a debate about how to determine who is an addict and who is "Truly homeless" I think the fact remains that even an affordable living structure, may not be the best use of the space...meaning that it would not adhere to the wishes of the previous owner of the property. Be that as it may, I feel that a lot of people would still take issue with the location of a low-income/affordable housing structure.

Please understand that I am neither opposed to the idea, nor your suggestions for the homeless populace. I simply posit that THIS location might not be the best for what you propose. I would also submit that a project like this would have a tremendous impact on tax dollars and would likely add a lot of pressure on required services for the people that would use a facility such as this. HOWEVER, the thought of sweat-equity occurs. While it is not a great solution, it may help bolster the idea of affordable housing throughout the valley: have the prospective tenants add their own labor to the project for concessions in using the space. I would think there would be a certain amount of pride taken in something that was built (to code, of course) by the tenants; and therefore there would be a sense of ownership and caretaking by the tenants involved.

I digress, I still feel that your idea is a good one, just maybe not right at that location.
BlackHoleSun

Postby OKkayak » Mar 13th, 2019, 12:15 pm

dontrump wrote:same deal with the stickle road They DOH actually did what I had suggested 2 years ago as far as lane separations

You mean the separator's that are used on so many other big uncontrolled intersections on BC highways? Doesn't take anyone special to figure that out :up:
dontrump wrote:the lack of a lite was certainly short sighted thinking on their part and the one way 20 street will come back to haunt them I guarantee

Yeah, OK [icon_lol2.gif]
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5043 posts

Postby dontrump » Mar 13th, 2019, 1:14 pm

OKkayak wrote:
dontrump wrote:same deal with the stickle road They DOH actually did what I had suggested 2 years ago as far as lane separations

You mean the separator's that are used on so many other big uncontrolled intersections on BC highways? Doesn't take anyone special to figure that out :up:
dontrump wrote:the lack of a lite was certainly short sighted thinking on their part and the one way 20 street will come back to haunt them I guarantee

Yeah, OK [icon_lol2.gif]

No (UFD) all the new merging and turning lanes as suggested by me 3 years ago along with a lite system Now 25 million$ and counting verses about 5 million and now a one way street that will come back to haunt them in the end
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

PreviousNext

Return to North Okanagan