Safe quiet beach

Elmer T

Safe quiet beach

Post by Elmer T »

Good day,

Am vacationing near Armstrong and Enderby and have been tasked with teaching a 6 year old to swim. Does anyone have suggestions for a safe quiet place to teach a kid to swim that isn't a pool? We are talking 3 feet of water required. I am a trained lifeguard but am unfamiliar with the region. Aside from concerns about water, we do not want to be near the party element.

Thank you in advance
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Safe quiet beach

Post by OKkayak »

I’m thinking maybe Paddlewheel Beach out in the Landing. Mind you, it’s been a few years since I’ve been there.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It's more about the time of day. Early morning is best for your purposes. From 2-7 is questionable, and after that is a no go zone.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

I would recommend Gardom Lake just outside of Enderby on the way to Salmon Arm. Should be fairly quiet this time of year and has a couple small public access beach areas. I fish it all the time and it is electric motors only in there now so there are no yahoos ripping around like idiots out there.

Just lonely fishermen like me. :biggrin:

*edit to add: Thanks to GordH for reminding me that Gardom can be prone to leeches as there isn't much water movement or circulation in there.
There is a bible camp on the lake where I see people swimming all throughout the summer....but I haven't heard their experiences first hand on the leeches part.
Last edited by Loki2u on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Elmer T wrote:Good day,

Am vacationing near Armstrong and Enderby and have been tasked with teaching a 6 year old to swim. Does anyone have suggestions for a safe quiet place to teach a kid to swim that isn't a pool? We are talking 3 feet of water required. I am a trained lifeguard but am unfamiliar with the region. Aside from concerns about water, we do not want to be near the party element.

Thank you in advance

I'm not sure if it's the same now, early mornings at Mara Lake Provincial park was very quiet. The lake at the beach gradually get deeper (slowly), should have large area thats 3' deep.
Here is google street view of entrance:
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.722643, ... 312!8i6656
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Elmer T

Post by Elmer T »

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I like to explore, but it's different when responsible for a youngster. We'll be trying out these spots in a week or two. Happy trails :)

Return to “North Okanagan”