Wagons for the homeless????

Re: Wagons for the homeless????

Postby watchkat » Aug 8th, 2018, 5:53 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
watchkat wrote:Just a couple of comments.
The wagon idea is out of kindness, but also innocence I think. Looking at the wagon it would never carry all the belongings that can be stuffed into a shopping cart. Unfortunately there is no thought about winter/rain, etc and no mention of providing even a hank of poly rope and 4/ x 6 tarp which would be less thatn $5.00 total from a dollar store.

What do they use now? They are being offered a basic model FORD and there are complaints that it doesn't come with AM/FM and a USB port ??

Have a good look at many of the carts the homeless are using and you will probably notice that many are zeller's and some extra foods old carts..........before the days of coin opeation.

So, just because they have the company name of a non-existing store, that makes them worthless ? The fact remains, the property does NOT belong to them.

As someone that worked for many years in downtown Westbank, I can tell you that those stores used to have someone contracted to round them up......not from the homeless, but from shoppers that used them to get to the bus or home with their groceries and then abandoned them in the alleys behind the Peto Canada, Old Westbank Market and over toward the complex behind the Overwaitea store.

That is when people were just inconsiderate in not returning the carts, nowadays, it is theft of carts for personal possession and use. Times have changed. That is why stores now have to resort to locking up the carts.

We would phone and they would thank us and soon someone in a pickup truck would load them.......back then they said they were worth about $600. each to replace.

They are actually worth $250 each today, I asked the store manager today after reading your post. They are the smaller ones and all metal.

Then along came the pay carts and Zellers at least for one basically told the homeless they could have them as they were getting new carts.

Now, there is further evidence as to why Zellers went bankrupt. Zellers just gave away their carts? Considering that Target moved in and had the exact same company colours, I don't think so.

Just to clear up where some of those carts came from and were not "stolen".

No, of course not, "they were found". Where did they come from? AND did the person in possession pay for it and have the right to title ? Gee, officer, I just found this car on the side of the road, I didn't know it was stolen.

This is the latest "funded" project from college engineers.

Those carts have been available at hardware stores for many years, the greenhouse that I go to has exactly the same thing in green. It took college engineers to come up with this idea? I am glad I will not live long enough for them to graduate and design a bridge that I might have to drive over.
https://news.ok.ubc.ca/2018/05/16/ubcs- ... e-streets/

Well, I know that Zeller's told them they could have them at the time as when we contacted Zeller's they said it was okay, they were giving them away.............this was 15-20 years ago......
I'm not defending...just explaining.

I'm really sorry you haven't found out who pizzed in your cereal...........
Nuff said from me..........I'm not going to respond further to tirades.
watchkat
Übergod

Liked in: 201 posts

Postby mexi cali » Aug 8th, 2018, 9:25 pm

all homeless are criminal junkies who should be forced into jobs, forced on to buses, forced into treatment, forced to do pretty much anything so long as they don't rock the boat of the selfish individuals that these threads tend to reveal.

None of that is me. Get over yourself.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4502 posts

Postby Chyren » Aug 9th, 2018, 6:18 am

As there is no current solution to the homeless problem in Vernon it astounds me when someone steps up to assist ONE of the many problems associated with homelessness that they're immediately jumped on in a negative way.

I, like a lot of you, see the problem for what it is and also have no idea how to stop it as people 20 years from now will be having the same argument but, applaud someone for getting out from BEHIND THE KEYBOARD and trying to do something.

And since the wagon plan is via a gofundme and not tax payer money then really why the negativity?

2 people like this post.
Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 415 posts

Postby dle » Aug 9th, 2018, 9:02 am

bob vernon wrote:You're assuming that the street people are capable of working. Some aren't. And these jobs that you're talking about will be at minimum wage for how many hours per week? Enough to put a roof over their heads? And eat?

There is a segment of our population who will never be able to take care of themselves. Like it or not, we have a choice to either take care of them or turn them loose on the streets. And there is another segment who've been preyed upon by dealers selling heroin, meth, and the fentanyls and every combination of these addictive drugs. And the penalties for drug trafficking are so low that there is always somebody who steps up and replaces them.

You can take the shopping carts and return them to the stores who own them, and even confiscate their possessions that are in the cart. And what does that solve? We'll have a person standing on the street with nothing in this world. He might try to steal things to replace what the security guards just confiscated. Or rob somebody on the street.

These are bandaids that we keep putting on a sore spot. But the patient has cancer.

...OR.....we could give the ones capable of doing so, jobs to match their abilities in the community, in exchange for their welfare cheques. Not only would this keep them off the streets during the day, it would lessen the impact of us "keeping" them, it would give them a sense of purpose, a sense of not being a charity case, or a useless drag on society, a sense of accomplishment. It might even make them take one less hit of their drug de jour, and then maybe the next day another hit less. It might give them a feeling of "self" and lead to even just one of them thinking "I got this" and getting help to beat the drugs. Who knows, it might open up a whole new world - for them and us.

3 people like this post.
dle
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2547 posts

Postby bob vernon » Aug 12th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Sounds like a plan. But there would always be a number of the street people who would continue to flounder their way through life. You could pay them $50 an hour and there would be some who would fail to show up for work on time or not at all. For some, neither the stick nor the carrot will work.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1573 posts

Postby Gixxer » Aug 14th, 2018, 10:58 am

So basically this is a big f.u. to the City of Vernon, the businesses downtown, and residents of Vernon that have to deal with all the junk the homeless leave behind. All their lifes valuable positions in a cart and its being taken away. Give me a break. Its junk they've stolen, or dumpster dived for. Valuables they think they could sell for money.

Enough calling this a mental illness problem. What is their mental illness exactly partying and hanging out and having a good time? A good majority of these people once held jobs, and had homes they called their own. They shouldve know better than to experiment or dabble in highly addictive drugs.

How about a gofundme page to deal with all the garbage they leave behind?

Sparki55 likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1750 posts

Postby bob vernon » Aug 15th, 2018, 9:28 pm

So just what is the solution to the problem? And more importantly, what is the problem that we're trying to solve? I keep reading about bandaid solutions that only treat the symptoms and do nothing to solve the problem behind it all. And some even feel that this is only a Vernon issue. It's in every city and even in small towns.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 16th, 2018, 9:51 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/234018/Issues-mount-downtown

^^^ These are the losers you want to give wagons to. I'm not funding a cent of that. I already pay enough for their needles, policing, healthcare , etc. through my taxes.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Sparki55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 897 posts

Postby Gixxer » Aug 16th, 2018, 2:28 pm

bob vernon wrote:So just what is the solution to the problem? And more importantly, what is the problem that we're trying to solve? I keep reading about bandaid solutions that only treat the symptoms and do nothing to solve the problem behind it all. And some even feel that this is only a Vernon issue. It's in every city and even in small towns.

How about a designated fenced in area/compound that has bathrooms, dumpsters, and onsite counselors for those that want to get clean. Keep them contained no more free range homeless drug addicts running a muck in the city

The problem trying to be solved... really??? The homeless druggies that are destroying this town.

No has said this a Vernon only problem. So not sure what your talking about.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Postby weedlover » Aug 16th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Encouraging them on that bad behavior? What a tool! You think these people choose to be homeless? Also I am sure you are aware that a lot of people are not too thrilled with having the Gateway shelter in Vernon.

Scrobins94 wrote:LOL, the initiative is started by someone who lives in Armstrong, who obviously doesn't have to deal with the *bleep* the Vernon homeless do. Why do people keep enabling them? Offering them an easy way out is kind-hearted, but is quite detrimental in the long-term. If you really want to donate, go donate to a professional organization (like Gateway Homeless Shelter or Karis) that also teach life skills and helps put a roof over their head. Also with their greater purchasing power their dollar gets more mileage.

Enabling homeless and making it easier for them to lug their *bleep* around town is just encouraging them on that bad behaviour which takes away from them having no option but to get better.

It's quite f*cking simple really.
weedlover

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby weedlover » Aug 16th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Not even sure how to respond to such an ignorant post. All I can say is I hope you or a family member has to experience being homeless someday. Comparing homeless to animals. What a *bleep*!

TreeGuy wrote:
8CAF5EEA-4964-40A6-AC03-37097B45A8A1.png
weedlover

Postby weedlover » Aug 16th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Your ignorance is astounding. Do you know how long people have to wait to get into places such as Karis Place? No you don't or you wouldn't make such an ignorant uninformed post. The wait to get into Karis place or someplace similar is months!!!

mexi cali wrote:Every time this topic comes up, I restate the same thing; many of these people don't want our help. They are where they are the most comfortable.

I agree that we need programs that teach life skills but if they were built and the doors opened, if participation is voluntary, the line up will be non-existent.
weedlover

Postby Gixxer » Aug 17th, 2018, 7:10 am

I just realized that the person that started this gofundme is from Armstrong. How about she buys them bus passes to come to her community with shopping carts as welcome gifts.

Also to the people that donate
Why do they give their name to let everyone else know that they donated? Is this not self serving hey look at me behavior?

Scrobins94 likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Postby bob vernon » Aug 17th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Well, I sure didn't let my name be used. I believe some of the righteous folks here would want to take some revenge on someone who dared help a homeless person. I know I should be brave, but I'd rather not allow me, my family, or my house be a target for who-knows-what.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Gixxer » Aug 18th, 2018, 7:57 am

bob vernon wrote:Well, I sure didn't let my name be used. I believe some of the righteous folks here would want to take some revenge on someone who dared help a homeless person. I know I should be brave, but I'd rather not allow me, my family, or my house be a target for who-knows-what.

Revenge bhahaha hilarious are you for real? Or maybe the homeless that helped will know you have money to spare and come rob you
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to North Okanagan