Metalfest Needs Help

bjsilent
Board Meister

Metalfest Needs Help

Post by bjsilent »

Are you for real? You start a gofundme page to help with cost overuns? Here's a thought.... Take it outta your own pocket to cover your overuns

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/23 ... needs-help
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Re: Metalfest Needs Help

Post by WalterWhite »

Or you could simply choose not to participate/donate/help - that's your choice. I guess you missed the part about them being a non-profit completely volunteer event:

It may not be for everyone, but it does draw people to the North Okanagan every year.

However, a “perfect storm” of conditions has put the annual Armstrong Metal Fest in financial peril.

Held at the Armstrong Fair Grounds, 2018 was the 10th year for the event that started out as a backyard concert and has grown to feature 30 bands.

But this year, the AMF had cost over runs, forcing organizers to start a GoFundMe page in an effort to raise $5,000.

AMF is managed through our non-profit society, West Metal Entertainment and is run entirely by volunteers who donate their time, energy and passion to put the AMF and other events on in the Okanagan.
According to the GoFundMe page, “costs have steadily grown and, even with our planning throughout this year, it has become more than we can handle. In the past we were able to recoup any losses through fundraising and personal contributions, but this year it is not enough. Because of various upgrades, such as the stage, and unexpected costs, we are here, asking for your help.
“All funds generated by this campaign will go towards covering our costs for 2018, and all extra funds generated will go towards making next year better than ever! We need funds by September 1st, so the sooner you can donate the better.
“Support of this campaign means we will get to continue to have our yearly heavy metal getaway weekend, and our volunteers will continue to gladly organize it for all you beautiful people.”
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

This event is beloved by those who attend; there isn't a festival that books this type of music anywhere else in the area. The organizers are hoping that those who want to keep this event going will kick in some dough to do so. I don't think they are expecting that people who don't know or care about Armstrong Metalfest will chip in.

They seem to be onto something as they've raised more than $3200 of the $5000 goal in nine days.

And if you read the article, you will know that the organizers have covered cost overruns out of pocket but can no longer afford to do so.

Either the people who value this event will pay to keep it going, or it will end. Doesn't sound like the rest of us need to worry.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

JayByrd wrote:This event is beloved by those who attend; there isn't a festival that books this type of music anywhere else in the area. The organizers are hoping that those who want to keep this event going will kick in some dough to do so. I don't think they are expecting that people who don't know or care about Armstrong Metalfest will chip in.

They seem to be onto something as they've raised more than $3200 of the $5000 goal in nine days.

And if you read the article, you will know that the organizers have covered cost overruns out of pocket but can no longer afford to do so.

Either the people who value this event will pay to keep it going, or it will end. Doesn't sound like the rest of us need to worry.

Seems reasonable to me .

I hope they make it
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

People attending this event cant afford :cuss: all so why should we fund them?
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

bjsilent wrote:People attending this event cant afford :cuss: all so why should we fund them?

That's a pretty disparaging comment. I know several people that not only attend, but do quite comfortably for themselves and have donated to the cause. Thanks for further proving you know nothing about what you're going on about. I'm sure the metalfest organizers appreciate your publicity thread however :)
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

bjsilent wrote:People attending this event cant afford :cuss: all so why should we fund them?

Judgemental at all?? Nobody is asking “us” to fund them, read the article (again?), they’re looking for support from people that attend this event to help keep it going, no need for the rest of us to get our knickers in a knot over it. IMO comments like this make a strong case for a “do NOT like” button... just saying.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Dont be an idiot.

I support this festival. I've gone to it many years back and it's definitely something different than the other offerings in BC.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

bjsilent wrote:Are you for real? You start a gofundme page to help with cost overuns? Here's a thought.... Take it outta your own pocket to cover your overuns

This is a bad take and you should have stayed silent *bleep*.

Let people support what they want. Smh
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

bjsilent wrote:Are you for real? You start a gofundme page to help with cost overuns? Here's a thought.... Take it outta your own pocket to cover your overuns

If you don't like it don't contribute. If I can't make it one year I'd have no problem donating it to keep it going so maybe I can see it next year. It's sad you don't understand how that works. People taking a chance to bring something to other people at a loss shouldn't be absorbed by them if there's other ways around it for help. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 14th, 2018, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think it's absolutely awesome that Armstrong has such an event, sounds like a blast :up:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Those who want to give, then give.
Those who don't, then don't.

No one is forcing anyone to give to any gofundme cause... period. End of story
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

GordonH wrote:Those who want to give, then give.

Just wondering … by chance is there a very popular Drama School in Vernon? [icon_lol2.gif]
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Those who want to give, then give.

southy wrote:Just wondering … by chance is there a very popular Drama School in Vernon? [icon_lol2.gif]

Have no idea, why
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

There is always so much DRAMA on the North Okanagan thread .. that's all. :130:

Not complaining, I actually find it quite entertaining on a boring, smoky Wednesday Okanagan day.

Return to “North Okanagan”