Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Postby obtunded » Nov 23rd, 2018, 6:56 pm

I laughed out loud when i read this story... in north eastern France and in Flanders, first world war munitions, including very large high explosive, gas, and shrapnel munitions are churned up in the hundreds every year. These are placed (by the farmers) in wire baskets for pick-up at the side of the road by ordinance disposal teams that make the rounds. I guess in Canada, we suffer from having too many idiots to make this a reasonable course of action.

Glacier likes this post.
obtunded
 
Posts: 13
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 13 posts
Joined: Sep 5th, 2016, 3:32 pm

Re: Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Postby Happytobehere » Nov 23rd, 2018, 9:01 pm

Explosives have killed seven to 10 people in the Vernon area since the end of World War Two including two boy scouts. They do pose a risk and aren't a laughing matter.

2 people like this post.
Happytobehere
Fledgling
 
Posts: 322
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 31 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Postby OKkayak » Nov 24th, 2018, 9:17 am

obtunded wrote:I laughed out loud when i read this story... in north eastern France and in Flanders, first world war munitions, including very large high explosive, gas, and shrapnel munitions are churned up in the hundreds every year. These are placed (by the farmers) in wire baskets for pick-up at the side of the road by ordinance disposal teams that make the rounds. I guess in Canada, we suffer from having too many idiots to make this a reasonable course of action.

The areas you are referring to are a small blip on the map of unexploded ordnance in Europe. France, just like any other European city evacuates people by the thousands, closes city blocks when live ordnance from WW1 or 2 are found and waits for special crews to come in and take care of the bomb/mortar. In the small area you are referring to, almost 400 people have died from unexploded ordnance in that small region alone.
User avatar
OKkayak
Übergod
 
Posts: 1567
Likes: 1202 posts
Liked in: 1481 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Re: Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Postby dontrump » Nov 24th, 2018, 10:44 am

obtunded wrote:I laughed out loud when i read this story... in north eastern France and in Flanders, first world war munitions, including very large high explosive, gas, and shrapnel munitions are churned up in the hundreds every year. These are placed (by the farmers) in wire baskets for pick-up at the side of the road by ordinance disposal teams that make the rounds. I guess in Canada, we suffer from having too many idiots to make this a reasonable course of action.



I can see them marking off the small area the morter was found in but to cause the BS and huge road blockade etc et is trypical liberal society BS that we are forced to endure daily ;;its good to be safe but theses extreme over kills theses days cost us dearly in wasted tax resource dollars
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2115
Likes: 466 posts
Liked in: 671 posts
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Postby GordonH » Nov 24th, 2018, 10:56 am

obtunded wrote:I laughed out loud when i read this story... in north eastern France and in Flanders, first world war munitions, including very large high explosive, gas, and shrapnel munitions are churned up in the hundreds every year. These are placed (by the farmers) in wire baskets for pick-up at the side of the road by ordinance disposal teams that make the rounds. I guess in Canada, we suffer from having too many idiots to make this a reasonable course of action.

OKkayak wrote:The areas you are referring to are a small blip on the map of unexploded ordnance in Europe. France, just like any other European city evacuates people by the thousands, closes city blocks when live ordnance from WW1 or 2 are found and waits for special crews to come in and take care of the bomb/mortar. In the small area you are referring to, almost 400 people have died from unexploded ordnance in that small region alone.


Similarly also in Vietnam & Cambodia, as with any war zone or military training area.
It is unfortunate that this areas continue to create casualties years &/or many decades later.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

Bsuds likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 21929
Likes: 2578 posts
Liked in: 8088 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Postby common_sense_guy » Nov 26th, 2018, 6:28 am

It seems that a few people on this posting don't understand what liability is. I'm guessing they would have no problem being allowed to drive by or have their kids go by in a school bus while they're picking it up because they don't think it's very dangerous.?
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)

OKkayak likes this post.
common_sense_guy
Fledgling
 
Posts: 257
Likes: 405 posts
Liked in: 216 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2017, 12:40 pm

Re: Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Postby Ken7 » Dec 15th, 2018, 8:13 am

Happytobehere wrote:Explosives have killed seven to 10 people in the Vernon area since the end of World War Two including two boy scouts. They do pose a risk and aren't a laughing matter.


Do we know IF these person were killed as they tried to pull them apart, just stepped on them, or hit them with farm equipment?

Just curios as if they are on the surface do they cause any more danger then say a old 308 cartridge.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6931
Likes: 4105 posts
Liked in: 2955 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 3:09 pm

Re: Discovery of an old mortar round causes road closures.

Postby gardengirl » Dec 16th, 2018, 12:02 pm

I remember when we were kids, we had friends who lived right at Kick Willie Loop. It was just a field across the street with a wooden fence and tall grass. There were big warning signs there. Our parents warned us about there being live bombs there as it used to be a munitions practice range.

Fast forward and it became a new subdivision. I wondered about how much work they did to ensure it was safe.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/surviv ... story.html

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/news/article ... c/hnps1tm5
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
User avatar
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12888
Likes: 685 posts
Liked in: 662 posts
Joined: Mar 23rd, 2006, 1:01 pm
Location: Wrong side of the tracks.


Return to North Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests