Meeting Regarding Homeless Problem

Meeting Regarding Homeless Problem

Postby Scrobins94 » Jan 25th, 2019, 10:30 am

So how's the situation changed for homelessness in Vernon? I believe there is a new City Council, correct? Are they going to continue discussing or is there a plan left in place from previous council? From my short visits to Vernon, last being last fall, the homeless problem is very bad. Maybe just because the downtown is small and the problem can concentrate very quickly and easily but last time I was there I felt like it was 1/2 as bad as East Hastings.

Perhaps adding some density and encouraging investment in the downtown would improve the environmental design.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/24 ... of-meeting
Scrobins94
Board Meister

Liked in: 447 posts

Re: Meeting Regarding Homeless Problem

Postby tabubil » Jan 25th, 2019, 12:33 pm

I think it has been blown out of proportion yes we have homeless but some wish to live this way so why then force them to change. Also why should be turn a blind eye to addiction but giving them a free place to do drugs, any place for the homeless must be drug and alcohol free, as reason to clean up their act.
I also think it is time that the mayor, council and business start taking what the public think seriously and have an completely open meeting on the subject with qualified people willing to answer real questions and keep all the specialty groups out something they have never done.

5 people like this post.
tabubil

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby the truth » Jan 25th, 2019, 2:34 pm

tabubil wrote:I think it has been blown out of proportion yes we have homeless but some wish to live this way so why then force them to change. Also why should be turn a blind eye to addiction but giving them a free place to do drugs, any place for the homeless must be drug and alcohol free, as reason to clean up their act.
I also think it is time that the mayor, council and business start taking what the public think seriously and have an completely open meeting on the subject with qualified people willing to answer real questions and keep all the specialty groups out something they have never done.

exactly................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7860 posts

Postby Chyren » Jan 27th, 2019, 11:16 am

The homeless problem in Vernon is looked at by a group of VERY qualified people.

To assume it isn't is silly. There's amazing people that are on the front lines everyday dealing with it as opposed to those that complain about it. They roll up their sleeves so to speak.

The issues are many and difficult. Tough job.

the truth likes this post.
Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 415 posts

Postby tabubil » Jan 27th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Going to school and getting a degree not mean they are very qualified people, and why is it then that these very qualified people do not want to listen to the general public that live with the problem daily and are concerned. We to have great ideas and many that will not cost a great amount of money and required overpaid very qualified people to tell them.

the truth likes this post.
tabubil

Postby the truth » Jan 27th, 2019, 2:25 pm

tabubil wrote:Going to school and getting a degree not mean they are very qualified people, and why is it then that these very qualified people do not want to listen to the general public that live with the problem daily and are concerned. We to have great ideas and many that will not cost a great amount of money and required overpaid very qualified people to tell them.

exactly...........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Chyren » Jan 28th, 2019, 6:21 pm

the truth wrote:
tabubil wrote:Going to school and getting a degree not mean they are very qualified people, and why is it then that these very qualified people do not want to listen to the general public that live with the problem daily and are concerned. We to have great ideas and many that will not cost a great amount of money and required overpaid very qualified people to tell them.

exactly...........

Nor does sitting behind a keyboard make one an expert....

Loki2u likes this post.
Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 415 posts

Postby tabubil » Jan 29th, 2019, 12:16 pm

To Chyren I bet I sit behind a keyboard much less than you do, I did not state that I was an expert. I am a person who has lived in many different and a few odd places, I talk with and listen to people, as my parents and grandparents taught me I read and listen to as much news as possible that varies greatly.
All I am saying is that many times those that do not claim to know the answer before they talk with people or investigate can seen the problem from a different angle and if given the opportunity may shed a new light on the problem.
I was raised to have an open mind and I have maintain this through my long and at times difficult life.
But I know for a fact that I might have good ideas but those with titles and degrees look down me as an uneducated person so how could I possible know anything.

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
tabubil

Postby bob vernon » Feb 2nd, 2019, 10:40 am

Well...... it seems that the unqualified people are the ones who've caused this problem in the first place.

bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1572 posts

Postby tabubil » Feb 3rd, 2019, 11:27 am

bob vernon wrote:Well...... it seems that the unqualified people are the ones who've caused this problem in the first place.

Well lets take a look at this money spent is by elected officials both local, provincial and federal. Then there are all the people who have graduated from college or university that are heading or giving input on this situation to the elected officials. Then we have the police and health officials that help when they can with input. So by your thinking these people are all unqualified then.
Also many of those that are homeless and addicted are graduates with degrees that have fallen on hard times so I guess you are also classify them unqualified.
Maybe you should take a long look at yourself you might be unqualified.

wanderer likes this post.
tabubil

Postby bob vernon » Feb 7th, 2019, 9:37 am

All these people WHO (not that) you mentioned are the qualified ones. The ones WHO (again not that) cut the funding to all of our social programs and cut the taxes for the wealthy are the ones WHO (again not that) are most responsible for causing this problem.

Sorry for the who versus that thing. Good grammar counts. Who is for people. That is for things.

bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1572 posts

Postby Because_They_Lie » Feb 8th, 2019, 10:20 pm

As an Arctic blast gripped the region, the Upper Room Mission put out an urgent plea for help and Vernon responded.

The community was asked to donate blankets, gloves and any winter clothing people could spare.

The response was immediate and amazing.

Sleeping bags and mats, winter coats, sweaters, gloves, scarves and toques, the community began donating, en masse, every imaginable item to guard against the relentless cold.

"This past week the donations have been coming in non-stop," said Cera Brown, mission general manager. "We knew we lived in a caring community, but we have never seen an outpouring of support like what we are seeing in response to the cold weather."

Countless community members have stopped by the mission to offer up their donations and share stories with the staff and guests.

In many cases, donated items were immediately handed out.

"One woman watched as a hand-made quilt made by her grandmother was given directly to a young female guest," said Brown. "Another young man watched as his donated jacket was used to replace the torn and tattered jacket of an older guest."

The outpouring of support and kindness shown by the community has allowed the URM to reach out to other social service agencies in Vernon to help fill their needs.

The amount of donations received is so great, the URM has even contacted social service agencies in other communities to see if donated items can help them out.

"We've been told that some of the agencies in Kelowna still need jackets and other winter weather items, so we have invited them to come and collect what they need," said Brown. "Our community has been so generous, we can actually help fill the needs of other communities, too."

The donations have also created something unforeseen: a dialogue between the mission, its guests and the community.

"I know a lot of people in the community don't know what we do here at the mission. In some cases, people are scared to come around here. But this week, we were able to draw back the curtain a little bit and show our community what is going on," said Brown. "I believe all this generosity is the start of a larger conversation between the community and the URM."

The bitter cold sweeping through the Southern Interior isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The forecast is calling for minus temperatures to continue into the foreseeable future.

For the marginalized community and those sleeping rough, being exposed to these frigid conditions is extremely dangerous, if not life-threatening.

"There is no way to put into words how grateful we are to live in such a caring community," said Brown.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/248884/Vernon-shows-it-cares

BCGrrrrl likes this post.
Because_They_Lie
Übergod

Liked in: 298 posts

Postby Gixxer » Feb 9th, 2019, 9:45 am

bob vernon wrote:All these people WHO (not that) you mentioned are the qualified ones. The ones WHO (again not that) cut the funding to all of our social programs and cut the taxes for the wealthy are the ones WHO (again not that) are most responsible for causing this problem.

Sorry for the who versus that thing. Good grammar counts. Who is for people. That is for things.

No one is responsible for causing this problem accept the homeless people that decided to start doing drugs and being coming addicted.

No amount of social programs and affordable housing will help these people unless the truly want the help, and the help is there if they truly want it.

2 people like this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1750 posts

Postby the truth » Feb 9th, 2019, 10:57 am

100 % correct
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby Because_They_Lie » Feb 9th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Gixxer wrote:

No one is responsible for causing this problem accept the homeless people that decided to start doing drugs and being coming addicted.

No amount of social programs and affordable housing will help these people unless the truly want the help, and the help is there if they truly want it.

While you may be correct that the will of each individual is paramount to any sort of change, you show your ignorance with your statement that no one is responsible for causing this problem except the homeless people, this is simply a factually untrue statement. before sharing your opinion do some active learning and gain some real knowledge otherwise you are only furthering the problem within our society.
Because_They_Lie
Übergod

Liked in: 298 posts

Next

Return to North Okanagan