Waste of Money for Lake Country Signs

Waste of Money for Lake Country Signs

Postby damama55 » Feb 5th, 2019, 8:58 pm

I am really disappointed with the new Lake Country signs. They destroyed the granite signs they had before, that were paid for, and, to me, were so nice. The signs they put up look like billboards!! There are roads that need repair and to me, the money the council okay-ed for the signs could have gone to important road repairs. Anyone that drives in Lake Country will vouch for that.
What do you all think?
Stay safe and watch out for the other guy.
damama55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 634 posts

Re: Waste of Money for Lake Country Signs

Postby Even Steven » Feb 6th, 2019, 12:36 pm

I'm ok with them.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2129 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Feb 7th, 2019, 9:53 am

I love them. They're very interesting they're very unique and they show class and they actually have some color to them. I guess it just goes to prove you can't please everybody all the time even on the simple things. We now have a world-class attraction in our backyard. I think a nicer sign was in order as well. And if you're wondering what I'm talking about it's the rail trail that's going to be worldwide known soon.. everybody knows the beauty of Canada and everybody knows the beauty of b c and a lot of people know about the beauty of the Okanagan but now Lake Country has a safe level bike trail almost completely encompassing a lake with Incredible views.
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Feb 7th, 2019, 10:00 am

damama55 wrote:I am really disappointed with the new Lake Country signs. They destroyed the granite signs they had before, that were paid for, and, to me, were so nice. The signs they put up look like billboards!! There are roads that need repair and to me, the money the council okay-ed for the signs could have gone to important road repairs. Anyone that drives in Lake Country will vouch for that.
What do you all think?
I'm just curious where you heard the other signs were made of granite.when I saw them being built I thought they looked like they were being built with wood and then a stucco type mixture. If that's the case they looked as cheap as they were
the smartest person in the room usually isn't the one talking the most but rather talking the least ;)
common_sense_guy
Fledgling

Liked in: 216 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 7th, 2019, 11:33 am

I believe the original signs were made of concrete. The new ones look upbeat and will be visible at night.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6690 posts

Postby OKkayak » Feb 7th, 2019, 11:35 am

I didn't care for the old ones. They were easy to miss, didn't stand out and hard to read.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1484 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Feb 7th, 2019, 12:39 pm

I didn't mind the old signs. I also don't mind the new signs.

I do think they could have done a couple of things better with the new signs:
- Lighting is poor. When lit at night, part of the wording is not visible due to shadows cast. A couple more lights shining from above (current ones shine from below) would resolve this.
- The concrete base the signs sit on is ugly and no surprise it's a nice smooth surface in a highly visible location - perfect for graffiti. They should stucco the base or use some plants to hide it or something similar.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1186 posts

Postby damama55 » Feb 8th, 2019, 3:26 am

Thank you for all of the opinions. I didn't understand why, if the words were hard to read at night, why they couldn't have been painted with reflective paint, or better lighting put on them. I had understood the other signs were made of granite, perhaps I was misinformed. I do appreciate the opinions expressed, but I myself liked the old signs better.
Stay safe and watch out for the other guy.

OKkayak likes this post.
damama55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 634 posts

Postby Fancy » Feb 8th, 2019, 6:26 am

There was an article in the Daily Courier that stated the signs were made of concrete.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6690 posts

Postby NachoManRandySalad » Feb 10th, 2019, 11:17 am

The old signs were made of wood and stucco. Concrete was poured in the footings for structural purposes only.
NachoManRandySalad

Liked in: 2 posts

Return to North Okanagan