Vernon Cultural Centre

tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by tabubil »

I would like some feed back on this idea.
Instead of spending $45 million dollars of RDNO taxpayers money on a new building for the centre why do they not buy the old Canadian Tire store, they could most likely get it for $1 million and even if they spend 2 million to upgrade it this would be so much cheaper than 45+million.
Lots of parking, big open area with office area, on a main road and it would save us the taxpayers so so so much money.
That is if we really need a new centre as we have never gotten all the correct information.
User avatar
Hassel99
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3815
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2012, 9:31 am

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by Hassel99 »

Its only $25mm of taxpayers money.
The building you are suggesting to renovate is nothing like the that will be built.



Where were you in October when the Yes side won by a landslide in the referendum?
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by tabubil »

Hassel99 wrote:Its only $25mm of taxpayers money.
The building you are suggesting to renovate is nothing like the that will be built.



Where were you in October when the Yes side won by a landslide in the referendum?

First the cultural group and RDNO did not give us all the information. Second where do think the rest of the money is coming from Provincial and Federal funds (our tax dollars) we are still paying for it.
I have never seen a number from this group stating how much they had obtained from private and business donation so again we are paying for it all in one way or the other.
The building as described can no way ever be fully used by the groups in Vernon and even then the parents (taxpayers) are still paying for it.
User avatar
Hassel99
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3815
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2012, 9:31 am

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by Hassel99 »

Maybe put in some effort.

I attended one of the public presentations about the Centre, did you? if not why not?

You said RDNO tax dollars, not "OUR TAX DOLLARS"
Stop moving your goal posts when your inaccuracies are called out.

Here is the full breakdown. (literally 10 seconds of googling yet you say it does not exist)

Image


if your not willing to put effort into looking this stuff up, then you are just crying.
We had a referendum, the people spoke, get over it.
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by tabubil »

I went to two public information sessions and at both of them I found people who could not or would not answer most of my questions.
Where do you think the RDNO get all their money from, from the taxpayers in the district.
I just want have the group put out a news brief stating how much of the 4 million from fundraising and donations they have achieved, how much of the 5 million from partnership contributions have they received, hows much of 6 million in grants have they received or applied for. The total when all this was put out before the referendum was $45 million at the lowest point. Maybe you should do some investigating.
I have looked into this and asked for information and received very little help, all I am saying is this a good way to spend this vast amount of money when we have more important things to repair or build that are vital to our city.
gman313
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3505
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by gman313 »

tabubil wrote:I went to two public information sessions and at both of them I found people who could not or would not answer most of my questions.
Where do you think the RDNO get all their money from, from the taxpayers in the district.
I just want have the group put out a news brief stating how much of the 4 million from fundraising and donations they have achieved, how much of the 5 million from partnership contributions have they received, hows much of 6 million in grants have they received or applied for. The total when all this was put out before the referendum was $45 million at the lowest point. Maybe you should do some investigating.
I have looked into this and asked for information and received very little help, all I am saying is this a good way to spend this vast amount of money when we have more important things to repair or build that are vital to our city.


lol

the vote is done its over, move on. you lost by a landslide, accept it
bob vernon
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4124
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by bob vernon »

If the former Canadian Tire building is ever to be repurposed as a public building, it would be far better as a police station. It might be more spacious than needed for just the RCMP, but some other city hall functions could have offices in there, too.

The artsy and cultural people in town have put up with substandard buildings for far too long.

A city needs good public buildings. There was a referendum and the majority of voters agreed.
dg3
Board Meister
Posts: 456
Joined: Apr 23rd, 2011, 9:37 pm

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by dg3 »

the new police station should be built and payed for in coldstream.
then the vernon station would be good for another 20 years, for vernon police.
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by tabubil »

To gman 313 the referendum was not a big success it was close and we never got all the information as I still have a page of questions regarding this project.
Yes the city of Vernon can stop the project by not selling them the property, as we were told before the referendum that a price of $1.2 million was agreed to and all parties were in favor. But now I find out it is still under negotiations another mistruth from the pro referendum side.
gman313
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3505
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by gman313 »

tabubil wrote:To gman 313 the referendum was not a big success it was close and we never got all the information as I still have a page of questions regarding this project.
Yes the city of Vernon can stop the project by not selling them the property, as we were told before the referendum that a price of $1.2 million was agreed to and all parties were in favor. But now I find out it is still under negotiations another mistruth from the pro referendum side.


fair enough....i find it ironic though every time anyone is on the "losing" side of a referendum comments like "another mistruth" from the other side come out.
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by tabubil »

gman313 wrote:
tabubil wrote:To gman 313 the referendum was not a big success it was close and we never got all the information as I still have a page of questions regarding this project.
Yes the city of Vernon can stop the project by not selling them the property, as we were told before the referendum that a price of $1.2 million was agreed to and all parties were in favor. But now I find out it is still under negotiations another mistruth from the pro referendum side.


fair enough....i find it ironic though every time anyone is on the "losing" side of a referendum comments like "another mistruth" from the other side come out.


If I had all the true facts I may have changed my vote, but with what little I was given I had to say no. But it is a shame what people and groups will say and do to get the end result they wish.
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by tabubil »

To All Citizens of Vernon and area
If you check the RDNO website you will see a new release and here is a portion.
“The first step in the business planning process will be completing a more detailed market assessment and analysis. This work will help identify new revenue opportunities and trends in operations of similar cultural facilities to ensure that the new Centre is designed and constructed with longevity, functionality, and efficiency at the forefront. The research will also help confirm visitor estimates, which will be used to build a reliable and robust business plan”
Is this not a little late, by this I mean should not all of this been completed at least in referendum proposal present to the citizens of the area to allow us to see at the least a preliminary business plan, visitor estimates and revenue opportunities.
I for one asked at one information session for some of this information and I also sent an email to the RDNO requesting the same, but as usually no one knew if there was even one.
Maybe if the citizens who are paying for this centre saw the true numbers we would have rejected the referendum and this was not going to be acceptable by those pushing for it.
What can we do, write letters to the mayor, council and member of the RDNO board. Better get get rid of the board as all it does in my mind is just suck money out of the tax payers.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4124
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by bob vernon »

If you're not happy with the Cultural Centre, just wait until the new recreation facilities are announced and approved. The city has begun the cleanup of the racetrack site with a lot of the trees coming down and the barns soon to follow. There were also electricians on site last week taking the electrical stuff out. A new swimming pool is needed and that racetrack site looks good once they clean out the old grandstand and barns.
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by tabubil »

bob vernon wrote:If you're not happy with the Cultural Centre, just wait until the new recreation facilities are announced and approved. The city has begun the cleanup of the racetrack site with a lot of the trees coming down and the barns soon to follow. There were also electricians on site last week taking the electrical stuff out. A new swimming pool is needed and that racetrack site looks good once they clean out the old grandstand and barns.

Did you read here yesterday that the YMCA is in talks with Vernon for running the recreation centre and and active living centre, so who knows how much this will cost us now. Maybe the Cultural Centre might be cheap in comparison.
Do not forget we will also be needing a brand new Police station and city hall as the ones we have are a disgrace to a city this size and then more money.
It is going to get to the point no one will be able to live here because the taxes are greater than your wages.
Food for thoought
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 154
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Vernon Cultural Centre

Post by tabubil »

Cultural Centre Vernon
It seems with an article in Vernon Matters.
“The Greater Vernon Museum and Archives has announced a restructuring.
Executive director Steve Fleck says the goal is to modernize programming, develop a new vision, and improve its financial position.
. “Unfortunately, in recent years the museum has struggled to actively engage the community. As a result, visitation rates are low, and our programming attracts limited audiences.”
That we the public were never given all the facts to make an accurate decision on the referendum certain people and societies wanted it to go through no matter what. When the director announces they need to restructure that should be an indication that the complete plan MUST be put on hold and when all the facts and financial picture is complete then let us the public make the decision with all matters financial, income, expenses present to us.
Garry Vernon

Return to “North Okanagan”