Scott Anderson thinks Penticton has solutions - NOT!

Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Scott Anderson thinks Penticton has solutions - NOT!

Post by Mike Br. »

Involuntary rehabilitation! Find a sizable parcel of crown land somwhere in the middle of nowhere, and set up a walled rehab/work camp. Round up all street people from our cities and place them in there for as long as needed. No access to drugs, and put them to hard labor (farming, mining, .. whichever opportunity exists). Do not reintroduce them to the society, until they come clean, and demonstrate solid work ethics.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Excellent idea but the bleeding hearts will complain that its in violation of their freedom.
Theother

Post by Theother »

just a bystander here. but by the sounds of it. druggies can / will do anything they want. seriously, what do they have to loose. they don't care about jail time. they will never pay a fine and they will keep stealing cuz its fun. hell they even break all those safe needle drop boxes just incase a used needle has dope in it. they .. do.. not.. care.. if the laws were actually enforced then we might .. might see a difference. but lets enjoy the +++= show I guess. cheers. its a tough situation.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

No druggie wants to go to jail. They dont want to get dope sick or experience with draws. The city should have a druggie homeless bylaw. If an individual is addicted and homeless they're not welcomed here.

All these cities with a homeless problem are scratching their heads and spending millions on how to solve it.

The province should build one central area that all the homeless can go to. This area will have all the amenities and support for them if they want it. They can leave when ever they want but they cant come to communities if they're addicted and homeless.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

common_sense_guy wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:Has anyone anywhere gotten the whole homeless junky thing right? If so let's copy that instead
I could care less if they're homeless or Junkies. In a civilized Society you don't lay down where people are trying to conduct business and have to walk around you. You wouldn't let your kid do it if you're downtown so why should it be acceptable to do. Go lay somewhere else if you're going to lay down. It's a respect thing. Clearly junkies don't have respect for anybody and most homeless don't either.

What the *bleep* are you talking about?
I asked is anyone anywhere getting this right , is there a *bleep* solution being utilized elsewhere sucessfully. If so let's copy it rather than the BS attempts that go nowhere.
*bleep* rant to someone else lol
I don't like the junkie homeless thing too, how do you get rid of it all?
Realistically in 2019???
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Jun 12th, 2019, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

southy wrote:
common_sense_guy wrote:What don't you people get about the no loitering by law. They know they're not going to get a lot of money from fines. I hardly think that's the endgame. but at least if a law is in written in the books and then place it gives the police a right to push them out of there anytime now. And that's bad how?. Think about it for a second at more than one angle. If there was no law against it they don't have a right to move them then did they but now they would be able to.

You miss the point Common-Sense. I didn't say it was about the money. They will never collect it. Then what? What's the next step? Agree there has to be a law - but the difficulty is in the enforcing of said law. These people know how to play the game. If it's a by-law … I don't suspect the police to be enforcing it. Your city by-law militia will be out in their bullet proof uniforms enforcing the by-law. You say .."push them out" where exactly are you going to push them to? Penticton :smt045 , yup that would make sense. NOT!! This is a major problem and must be addressed in a major way. The answers are not simple and it will take greater participation from all levels of government of social agencies to initiate change.

I don't think I missed the point. You're very first paragraph you slam the guy and the idea of bringing the bylaw in and then in your response to me you agree that there should be a bylaw in place. So what is it? When you contradict yourself in your second response you just makes it sound like you just want to rag on somebody. And do you really think they're not going to enforce it when there's a drunk or a junkie laying on the sidewalk now?. Really you don't think they're going to actually go down there and move them out of there now that the bylaws in place? So yes I actually think they are going to enforce this on the bums laying around and bothering businesses and customers.. it's a first step and I think it might actually have some effect. Do you think they're just going to hang out downtown now and lay around if they know they're going to get picked up and moved along? They'll get the hint if they want to lay down and not be bothered they'll do it in a place where it won't bother anybody. For the most part most of them probably will get the hint. And at least the ones that don't get the hint they can take some enforcement on . I don't know who the counselor is. But it sounds like you have a beef with him. to me a good idea is a good idea doesn't matter who it comes from even if you hate the guy.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Sorry Common sense, you obviously don't get what I said. Re-read my original post. Not going to get into a peeing match with you. I will say though that a solution/s needs to be found and soon for all concerned.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Cut off the ability for the drug addicts to get drugs and watch them disappear.
Theother

Post by Theother »

if you feed the bears they will come back for easy food. don't feed the wildlife. anyhoo same goes for humans. Remember that 1 famous quote . if you build it , they will come. Well we built it. and they are here and not leaving. take away the pats on the back and the its ok cuz your out of luck attitude and well start going somewhere. Have a nice day. just not in any poke, oh sorry, I meant park.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Gixxer wrote:Cut off the ability for the drug addicts to get drugs and watch them disappear.

You can even put them in prison, behind walls, with guards 24 hours a day. And drugs will make their way into the prison. Whether it's visitor smuggling, or even corrupt guards, drugs will find their way.

All the meetings and town halls we've had have been about the people on the streets and the addicts in the doorways, NOT THE MAJOR IMPORTERS OR MANUFACTURERS. Either we start doing a better job of stopping the importation or the problem will continue. Targeting the addict is targeting the victim who's life is being abused by a dealer feeding the habit. The major dealers always have found ways to avoid being held responsible. Do they payoff cops and crown prosecution?

Unless we insist on the big dealers being stopped, we're being played. I even want the death penalty for importation, manufacture, or trafficking in the addictive drugs.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Start with the methadone clinic. Watch about 90% of these homeless junkies will leave town.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Attaboy Gix. Keep kicking the victims and letting the criminals continue to exist. That's sure to keep the problem going.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

bob vernon wrote:Attaboy Gix. Keep kicking the victims and letting the criminals continue to exist. That's sure to keep the problem going.

Bahhahaha the victims. That's funny. How are these junkies victims??? Victims of their own bad choices in life?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Don't start making this personal please. Thank you.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Mike Br. wrote:Involuntary rehabilitation! Find a sizable parcel of crown land somwhere in the middle of nowhere, and set up a walled rehab/work camp. Round up all street people from our cities and place them in there for as long as needed. No access to drugs, and put them to hard labor (farming, mining, .. whichever opportunity exists). Do not reintroduce them to the society, until they come clean, and demonstrate solid work ethics.

There once was a group of people in the 1940's that chose to do this type of thing....you know, grab a bunch of people against their will, send them to the middle of nowhere, put them in camps and force them to work....how exactly did that turn out?

:-X

Return to “North Okanagan”