Problematic texting at work

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Problematic texting at work

Post by Glacier »

A woman who was fired with cause for texting during a meeting and not being a "team player" has been awarded $5,164 in compensation for her seven years of service at the dental office where she worked.

The employer, dentist Dr. Paula Winsor-Lee of the Monashee Dental Centre in Lumby, B.C., appealed the decision that the Director of Employment Standards issued in March. But the B.C. Employment Standards Tribunal recently upheld it.

During the hearing, Winsor-Lee argued that she had established cause to fire her employee, Mieka Mandalari, primarily for texting during a meeting after several years of what the dentist identified as problematic texting during work hours.

"I still do feel like I did follow what needed to be in place," Winsor-Lee said in a phone interview. "I had stated in previous staff meetings that texting — ongoing, and texting that is distracting from your job — is not allowed."

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5227941
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Problematic texting at work

Post by TylerM4 »

The devil is in the details here.

Basically, I've learnt that employers need to be more formal about this sort of thing. They need to give staff an official warning, they need to be consistent in the enforcement, and they need to treat all employees the same.

$5k in compensation isn't much nowadays. Probably a month's pre-tax wages. While they may have awarded the employee, the award was pretty small.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

TylerM4 wrote:The devil is in the details here.

Basically, I've learnt that employers need to be more formal about this sort of thing. They need to give staff an official warning, they need to be consistent in the enforcement, and they need to treat all employees the same.

$5k in compensation isn't much nowadays. Probably a month's pre-tax wages. While they may have awarded the employee, the award was pretty small.

Dr Lee is lucky that the lefty liberals that ruled against her was only a lousy 5K
Iam pretty sure this employee was warned several times and most likely was also not considered a good employee
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

TylerM4 wrote:$5k in compensation isn't much nowadays. Probably a month's pre-tax wages. While they may have awarded the employee, the award was pretty small.

It's too much for someone who obviously has zero common sense or respect for their employer/workplace.
Btfsplck
Fledgling

Post by Btfsplck »

Good luck to Mieka Mandalari in finding work again in her field. Any employer that looks online will see her lawsuit and steer clear of hiring her. Hope the $5000 was worth it. [icon_lol2.gif]
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Btfsplck wrote:Good luck to Mieka Mandalari in finding work again in her field. Any employer that looks online will see her lawsuit and steer clear of hiring her. Hope the $5000 was worth it. [icon_lol2.gif]

McDonalds and Burger King won't put up with texting while on the job either. So she might be out of work for a long time.
Hafa adai

Return to “North Okanagan”