Awesome. Another park.

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Awesome. Another park.

Post by bob vernon »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/26 ... Arena-site

It will be convenient for more homeless and near another neighbourhood for them to rob.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: Awesome. Another park.

Post by Poindexter »

Perhaps we should just cut to the chase and call parks outdoor "wet facilities".
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Yeah, cause only the homeless and the addicted benefit from urban parklands. :130:
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

They also say it will be a parking lot for the OK Rail Trail located in Coldstream and long bike ride through a busy town just to get free parking and right beside the railway a safe place for children to play, but the mounties will not have to go far to get all the addicts anymore. But they better build a bigger station for all those that will be staying overnight.
Maybe this fiasco will cost another 25 millions dollars like the Museum we do not need and then where are they going to get all the money for the big new recreation centre and affordable living area.
This council sure does like to spend our hard earned tax dollars and when the economy is starting down, the housing market is going down hill and we have all these stores fronts that a vacant all over town.
Might be a good time to get out of Vernon and find another quaint town like this was 20 years ago when we moved here.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

I just read in this mornings paper that now our Mayor says that the old civic arena could be the site for the New Cultural Centre but only after a business plan has been drawn up.
So it seems no one even our council has no idea what is happening for this area.
Keep up the great work then maybe we will spared having to spend a boat load of taxpayers money.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

A boat load of money is going to be spent. We need a new police station. City Hall is overcrowded. The Civic arena might become a park. The old race track site is being eyed as a site for a new swimming pool.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

Some of us who plan to live here for the next 40 years are happy that the city is willing to step up an provide quality services.

I get that many of you are old and wont be around to enjoy this stuff, not a valid reason to be such negative Nancies IMO.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Looking forward to participating in the announced public planning process for this park, but confused as to why Councillor Nahal demanded that the already-overtasked City staff cost out a temporary ice rink at this location?

Hope everyone shares their ideas with the City this September - how exciting for Vernon to build a new park downtown.

Will there also be room for a year-round Public Market at this new park/site, or maybe to walk dogs? Close to tourist info, sani dump, downtown, etc?

As for ice skating, what about a temporary loop through Polson Park with lighting, vendors, live music - how cool would that be for Winter Carnival???
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

DetectivePikachu wrote:Some of us who plan to live here for the next 40 years are happy that the city is willing to step up an provide quality services.

I get that many of you are old and wont be around to enjoy this stuff, not a valid reason to be such negative Nancies IMO.

I understand your ideals but common sense also needs to be used ;; the last thing we need is money wasted on a city park where only the druggie criminal homeless will make their new home
Also to note from a astatically point this is not a very nice looking area to have a city park;This in reality is just not a pretty area and add in one of the worst crack houses in Vernon was only 2 blocks away
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

dontrump wrote:
DetectivePikachu wrote:Some of us who plan to live here for the next 40 years are happy that the city is willing to step up an provide quality services.

I understand your ideals but common sense also needs to be used ;; the last thing we need is money wasted on a city park where only the druggie criminal homeless will make their new home
Also to note from a astatically point this is not a very nice looking area to have a city park;This in reality is just not a pretty area and add in one of the worst crack houses in Vernon was only 2 blocks away

But isn't it just "common sense" that we need many more parks? And more public buildings like a museum and an art gallery. "Common sense" isn't common at all. Isn't it common sense that the earth is flat? I have a level in my shop that tells me that it's flat. It's common sense.
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

Good idea for a park , right next to the sani dump, will save another $5 mil on a portlandbiffy
Theother

Post by Theother »

nothing posted here makes a difference…… including this statement. so why ruffle your feathers?
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/264210/Outdoor-rink-for-Vernon

Any chance Council could wait to direct staff, until the tax-paying public has had the chance to weigh in as part of the announced public planning process? Am I the only one here who finds this odd?

Where is former Councillor Jack Gilroy? Back when the last Polson Park plan was completed in 2010, he and Councillor Nicol were in favour of an ice rink inside the park - pretty sure that ice skating loop at Polson was his brainchild.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

Well here go again the Mayor since Wednesday is now against the idea of the Cutural Centre here but wants to take a third of it to make a road to connect 30 st from 37 to 39 avenues and a multi purpose walkway. Why you can only go left or right nothing to gain and at what cost.
That means 2 acres for a park, now this land has been used as a parking lot, civic centre and had a sani dump on it. How much is going to cost to mediate the ground and then put sod on. I do like the idea of an outdoor ice rink in down town, but what to do with it in the summer.
One person did say lets wait get some input and look at all possibilities as we might be able to make better use of this land in the future, hey someone at city hall is actually thinking about costs and what the public wants.
I say council stop now lets have some open and transparent meetings, a few online surveys and maybe even a mail out to find out what to do with this special piece of land. Maybe at the same time an open think about this expensive cultural centre and maybe downsizing it.
Now lets have a good go at this.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Also to note from a astatically point this is not a very nice looking area to have a city park;This in reality is just not a pretty area and add in one of the worst crack houses in Vernon was only 2 blocks away[/quote]

But isn't it just "common sense" that we need many more parks? And more public buildings like a museum and an art gallery. "Common sense" isn't common at all. Isn't it common sense that the earth is flat? I have a level in my shop that tells me that it's flat. It's common sense.[/quote]

I seriously have no idea what your trying to say could explain it in simple terms

Return to “North Okanagan”