Millions for cultural centre

polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Millions for cultural centre

Post by polelady »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#265689

Wow only 4 million.... and who knows the real overrun cost ?
I guess money grows on trees in that area.... !!!
I guess it is called job creation... should not be worried.... about cost !
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Millions for cultural centre

Post by bob vernon »

Right near the Rail Trail. Sounds like a great idea that will employ many people. I've thought for some time that the Band should have some kind of modern version of kekulis that they'd rent out each night like a hotel for people on the Rail Trail. It's all good.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

polelady wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-265689-2-.htm#265689

Wow only 4 million.... and who knows the real overrun cost ?
I guess money grows on trees in that area.... !!!
I guess it is called job creation... should not be worried.... about cost !

the small select groups that want such centers etc should fund raise and finance it themselves
taking 3 million dollars out of the tax payers hand and giving it to select groups is just plain wrong
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

That's a bit naive to say isn't it? Select groups? Using that example here's a thought...

1) Parks are for only people that are "outdoorsy"
2) Sports complexes are for "sporty" people
3) Pools are for "swimmers"
4) Bandstands are for "music lovers"
5) Trails are for "walkers"

Each civic project supports the community at large. To say a cultural center is for "select people" really is an odd thing to say. If you categorize people then perhaps "people who rant on keyboards" don't really fit into most of the examples I made above...They are a "select" group of people.

PS: Probably will be computer terminals in the cultural center... [icon_lol2.gif]
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Chyren wrote:That's a bit naive to say isn't it? Select groups? Using that example here's a thought...

1) Parks are for only people that are "outdoorsy"
2) Sports complexes are for "sporty" people
3) Pools are for "swimmers"
4) Bandstands are for "music lovers"
5) Trails are for "walkers"

Each civic project supports the community at large. To say a cultural center is for "select people" really is an odd thing to say. If you categorize people then perhaps "people who rant on keyboards" don't really fit into most of the examples I made above...They are a "select" group of people.

PS: Probably will be computer terminals in the cultural center... [icon_lol2.gif]

a swimming pool is a general part of every city ;; sports complexes the same , trails same , as 80% or more of the tax payers use such widely known and accepted practises
using over 3 million dollars to build a indian center because like maybe .001 % of the population want such a deal is not acceptable and not wise use of our tax money when(as already said) its actually for a very very minute special interest group of people
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

dontrump wrote:

the small select groups that want such centers etc should fund raise and finance it themselves
taking 3 million dollars out of the tax payers hand and giving it to select groups is just plain wrong

What a terribly selfish opinion. Might as well have said “I don’t have kids in school, why do my taxes go to schools?”

That’s not how our society works.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

DetectivePikachu wrote:
dontrump wrote:

What a terribly selfish opinion. Might as well have said “I don’t have kids in school, why do my taxes go to schools?”

That’s not how our society works.

LOL now don't even get me going on that rotten deal :swear: :biggrin:
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

"using over 3 million dollars to build a indian center because like maybe .001 % of the population want such a deal is not acceptable and not wise use of our tax money when(as already said) its actually for a very very minute special interest group of people"

This comment really showcases the real issue you have with the project...

The "indian center" you refer to is history. That's our history. Why do you look at it like a negative?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Chyren wrote:"using over 3 million dollars to build a indian center because like maybe .001 % of the population want such a deal is not acceptable and not wise use of our tax money when(as already said) its actually for a very very minute special interest group of people"

This comment really showcases the real issue you have with the project...

The "indian center" you refer to is history. That's our history. Why do you look at it like a negative?

LOL that is NOT "our history" like I have opined spending Tax payers money on projects that include 75% of the ta xpayers is fine even if I don't agree but spending tax payers money on special interest projects is just plain wrong EOS
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

dontrump wrote:
LOL that is NOT "our history" like I have opined spending Tax payers money on projects that include 75% of the ta xpayers is fine even if I don't agree but spending tax payers money on special interest projects is just plain wrong EOS

If you are a Canadian citizen and/or reside on Okanagan Territory then it is your history.

As I love to say, if you can fund the stripping of culture you can fund the preservation of it.

It doesn't matter what public institution gets built....seems theres always a small group to criticize whatever project is being proposed.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

if the government will waste 3 million of our tax dollars on this special interest groups pet project then why is the okeefe ranch so dramatically underfunded then is that not also BC Ok valley history?????
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

dontrump wrote:if the government will waste 3 million of our tax dollars on this special interest groups pet project then why is the okeefe ranch so dramatically underfunded then is that not also BC Ok valley history?????

Because they didn't have to build Okeefe Ranch for one.

Once the center is built then the funds created will support its existence.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Chyren wrote:
dontrump wrote:if the government will waste 3 million of our tax dollars on this special interest groups pet project then why is the okeefe ranch so dramatically underfunded then is that not also BC Ok valley history?????

Because they didn't have to build Okeefe Ranch for one.

Once the center is built then the funds created will support its existence.

sorry that don't make sense and like I have said if it was a project that was inclusive of most all the people and not a super small selective group it may make some sense (eg) most al all people use pools (eg) most all people use buses (eg) most all people use walk systems like rail trail; (eg) most all people use public beaches
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 20th, 2019, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

dontrump wrote:
sorry that don't make sense and like I have said if it was a project that was inclusive of most all the people and not a super small selective group it may make some sense (eg) most al all people use pools (eg) most all people use buses (eg) most all people use walk systems like rail trail; (eg) most all people use public beaches

It's not a segregated facility, why is not inclusive? They held a pow-wow at the college the other day and hundreds piled in to watch. Kelowna is rapidly diversifying and believe it or not there are many people out there in the world that are interested in First Nations culture.

Return to “North Okanagan”