Millions for cultural centre

dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Millions for cultural centre

Post by dontrump »

Brass Monkey wrote:
dontrump wrote:
sorry that don't make sense and like I have said if it was a project that was inclusive of most all the people and not a super small selective group it may make some sense (eg) most al all people use pools (eg) most all people use buses (eg) most all people use walk systems like rail trail; (eg) most all people use public beaches

It's not a segregated facility, why is not inclusive? They held a pow-wow at the college the other day and hundreds piled in to watch. Kelowna is rapidly diversifying and believe it or not there are many people out there in the world that are interested in First Nations culture.

then let the Indians finance such a system as they already get billions in tax monies yes there are people interested my point is
its a small small % of the over all tax payers that are interested its not like 40% its like .0004 %
Brass Monkey
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Brass Monkey »

dontrump wrote:
then let the Indians finance such a system as they already get billions in tax monies yes there are people interested my point is
its a small small % of the over all tax payers that are interested its not like 40% its like .0004 %

Where is the billions in tax funds that ONA gets? As member of ONA I’ve yet to receive a dollar of this supposed billions you’re talking about.

The majority of people who visit Indigenous culture museums are not Indigenous people who already live that culture...look at the Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Was there not a big argument why the natives didnt get the rail trail land back ? I mean after the railway took it . I’m sure its likely another stain on the relationship. They had to have somewhere for the walkers to squat and get a bottle of water . So why not call the indian interior decorators ( likely not native ) to pretend it is some sort of tribute. I wonder if thats a type of brown face now ?.... anyways . You will see maybe 2 indians a year there if i had to bet. Be mostly the sun hat , high vis and walking poles crowd.
Strong and free
polelady
Board Meister

Post by polelady »

Lots of chatter about these funds.... just wondering if because we offer 4 million of tax dollars from hidden slush funds... the " Frist Nations" agree to let people use "THIER " portion of the rail trail.... for some time... it seemed like a toll booth was one option suggested...lol,,,,, just food for thought on how things work .... !!
Brass Monkey
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Brass Monkey »

polelady wrote:Lots of chatter about these funds.... just wondering if because we offer 4 million of tax dollars from hidden slush funds... the " Frist Nations" agree to let people use "THIER " portion of the rail trail.... for some time... it seemed like a toll booth was one option suggested...lol,,,,, just food for thought on how things work .... !!

If owned by First Nations then it is privately owned...you wouldn’t let the city build a walkway through your property without some form of compensation would you?
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Who owned the "rail" previously? Who paid what, to whom, for the use of that rail?

Is it just because the rails were removed and replaced by a trail change the terms and conditions of whatever agreement was in place? What would the natives gain if it was just left as a rail?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Brass Monkey
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Brass Monkey »

alanjh595 wrote:Who owned the "rail" previously? Who paid what, to whom, for the use of that rail?

Is it just because the rails were removed and replaced by a trail change the terms and conditions of whatever agreement was in place? What would the natives gain if it was just left as a rail?

The Federal Government has maintained the right to expropriate up to 20% of reserve lands for necessary uses, and when that use/purpose has been fulfilled or becomes obsolete then that expropriated land goes back to the original owners. When the government originally took that land there was no compensation (unless I am mistaken). The railway at one time was necessary for commuting and for running supplies in and out of town, that is no longer the case, the rail is rendered obsolete. The trail that currently exists is not necessary by any means, it is purely leisure. I do not know where the reserver boundary originally existed so i cannot say who owns what or where
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Stop making sane, sensible, and rational statements. You're just getting in the way of us being able to demonize another minority.
Brass Monkey
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Brass Monkey »

bob vernon wrote:Stop making sane, sensible, and rational statements. You're just getting in the way of us being able to demonize another minority.

[icon_lol2.gif] :biggrin: :130:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

This project is still going and will become more of an issue in the new year.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/26 ... ral-centre

Return to “North Okanagan”