Shortage of skilled workers

User avatar
oldtrucker
Guru
Posts: 7892
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by oldtrucker »

dontrump wrote:we do not have a shortage of so called skilled workers ;; we have a government that fails to vet welfare scammers
(men and women whom are fully capable of being employed ) and so we do have a shortage of workers to do minimum wage jobs and seasonal work etc ;; the government should refuse welfare to the hundreds of thousands whom cheat the welfare system and make it mandatory they work and then government could subsidize them so they make a livable wage
a win win for both sides
UBI.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
lsj777
Fledgling
Posts: 140
Joined: Feb 21st, 2010, 11:30 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by lsj777 »

Ten years ago I went down to Leon Avenue and offered 15.00 an hour cash to do a clean up on a rental unit and nobody was interested in working . I thought that I could help someone that really needed the money but I was wrong in trying to help someone that way , and after that I started using labor ready and it was cheaper than the15.00 I was offering .
Even Steven
Guru
Posts: 6439
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by Even Steven »

And then Labour Ready closed down because nobody wanted to work for them because they paid min. wage.
Vacancyrate
Banned
Posts: 3581
Joined: Mar 15th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by Vacancyrate »

McDonald's cant find people to work for $17.50 a hour because one bedroom apartments here cost $1500/month plus utitlities. Even with your 50% off staff discount at McDonalds you'd still be going to the foodbank.

Why don't more doctors and engineers pick fruit?

...because they can't live on fruit picking wages.

Why don't more homeless people pick fruit?

...because they can't live on fruit picking wages.

We've devalued our currency to the point where this logic now applies to the homeless.
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 28233
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by the truth »

Even Steven wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 9:37 am And then Labour Ready closed down because nobody wanted to work for them because they paid min. wage.
these places are infested with working junkies , sending out there workers high as a kite to job sites, people should 100% stay away
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21767
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by alanjh595 »

the truth wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 11:59 am
Even Steven wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 9:37 am And then Labour Ready closed down because nobody wanted to work for them because they paid min. wage.
these places are infested with working junkies , sending out there workers high as a kite to job sites, people should 100% stay away
If they are obviously high or drunk, they won't be dispatched.
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
bb49
Guru
Posts: 5823
Joined: Jul 16th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by bb49 »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 10:15 am Why don't more homeless people pick fruit?

...because they can't live on fruit picking wages.

We've devalued our currency to the point where this logic now applies to the homeless.
But the "homeless" are already living somewhere. And if they got off their butts and worked, they just may have a better place. But hey, many do not want to work.

Two days ago I was stopped waiting for a light to go green.
A young woman was standing on the medium, holding the usual sign. I called her over and told her I had just come from a restaurant that was looking for people.
Her response, I got the finger and a :cuss: you.

Too many of these people are just like her, lazy and on drugs.
I_am_a_Canadian
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 28233
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by the truth »

alanjh595 wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 1:48 pm
the truth wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 11:59 am these places are infested with working junkies , sending out there workers high as a kite to job sites, people should 100% stay away
If they are obviously high or drunk, they won't be dispatched.
i know for a fact that they do
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21767
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by alanjh595 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 10th, 2021, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16310
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by MAPearce »

alanjh595 wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 1:48 pm
the truth wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 11:59 am these places are infested with working junkies , sending out there workers high as a kite to job sites, people should 100% stay away
If they are obviously high or drunk, they won't be dispatched.
*remove* You're wrong .
Last edited by ferri on Oct 11th, 2021, 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by stuphoto »

Labour Ready was in it for the money.
If you called them up, wanting 10 workers and they only had 10 drink and stoned people waiting in their office you got 10 drunk and stoned workers.

They always start by sending out their favorites, then anyone awake in their office then anyone who wasn't overdosed beyond needing a blowhorn to wake up.

I had to drive 56 of their workers from Vancouver to the Pemberton Music Festival ( clean up crew ) a few years ago, and it was quite the ordeal.
I don't think I have seen the bus get so filthy so fast.
They were honestly well behaved, but I doubt most of them could find their way out of an open paper bag with neon arrows pointing out.
I didn't know what to say when stuck in a construction site and one of them came up asking
When will we get there?
I looked at him, shrugged my shoulders and said, You tell Me. We haven't even moved in half an hour.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Guru
Posts: 7892
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by oldtrucker »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 10:15 am McDonald's cant find people to work for $17.50 a hour because one bedroom apartments here cost $1500/month plus utitlities. Even with your 50% off staff discount at McDonalds you'd still be going to the foodbank.

Why don't more doctors and engineers pick fruit?

...because they can't live on fruit picking wages.

Why don't more homeless people pick fruit?

...because they can't live on fruit picking wages.

We've devalued our currency to the point where this logic now applies to the homeless.
About 10 years ago I had a crazy business idea called ' Escape Kelowna', a employment agency that got people jobs and a place to live somewhere away from here-anywhere. It would put up the money for the people to get out of here and they or the new employer could pay it back to the agency plus a bit of interest.
Google 'escape Kelowna' and it will come up with sites to get people to come here for holidays
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
Vacancyrate
Banned
Posts: 3581
Joined: Mar 15th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by Vacancyrate »

bb49 wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 3:15 pm But the "homeless" are already living somewhere. And if they got off their butts and worked, they just may have a better place.
Are you suggesting that working 40 hours a week at minimum wage in Kelowna would "get you somewhere"???
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 28233
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by the truth »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 6:22 am Labour Ready was in it for the money.
If you called them up, wanting 10 workers and they only had 10 drink and stoned people waiting in their office you got 10 drunk and stoned workers.

They always start by sending out their favorites, then anyone awake in their office then anyone who wasn't overdosed beyond needing a blowhorn to wake up.

I had to drive 56 of their workers from Vancouver to the Pemberton Music Festival ( clean up crew ) a few years ago, and it was quite the ordeal.
I don't think I have seen the bus get so filthy so fast.
They were honestly well behaved, but I doubt most of them could find their way out of an open paper bag with neon arrows pointing out.
I didn't know what to say when stuck in a construction site and one of them came up asking
When will we get there?
I looked at him, shrugged my shoulders and said, You tell Me. We haven't even moved in half an hour.
exactly......................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
bb49
Guru
Posts: 5823
Joined: Jul 16th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by bb49 »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 9:59 am
bb49 wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 3:15 pm But the "homeless" are already living somewhere. And if they got off their butts and worked, they just may have a better place.
Are you suggesting that working 40 hours a week at minimum wage in Kelowna would "get you somewhere"???
If someone has even a bit of initiative or drive, they won't be making minimum wage for long.
And there are cheaper places to live.

But, if they want to continue living on the streets, say la vee.
I_am_a_Canadian

Return to “North Okanagan”