Schubert Centre Vernon

tabubil
Fledgling

Schubert Centre Vernon

Post by tabubil »

ASHAMED
This is what I am feeling in regards to the following regarding the Schubert Centre problems.
To the Mayor and council of Vernon you can vote to give business and developers a lower DCC, you are going to ask us the taxpayers to borrow up to $70 million dollars for a new recreation centre, you have asked to borrow $25M for a new Cultural Centre with no valid business plan in place to present to us. You want to spend $2M on a new park that most do not want. But I have not seen or heard you offer any help to the Schubert Centre.
Mr Eric Foster of elected MLA, not a word from you either and you always say you look out for you electorates. All you care about is you salary and pension.
Mr Mel Arnold our elected MP, we never see you or hear from you unless you needed to get elected, you have done nothing for you constituents and now not a word or peep from you also. You also only care about a salary and pension.
You all can lobby governments, business to get grants, reduced prices, free labour but have we heard anything from any of you NO. I hope the center will not allow any of you to use this centre from any of your meetings or charge you triple.
Many of the above a seniors and the rest will be at one time and will most likely us this centre if for nothing else to have a coffee a meet with similar persons of age but because you are not will to help we take a chance at losing this valuable centre used by many.
In many instances it is one of the few times in a day a senior will communicate with others.
Get off the pot and do what we elected you to do look after us the electorate.
A disgruntled senior in Vernon
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Re: Schubert Centre Vernon

Post by common_sense_guy »

I'm sorry I don't understand what your rant is about. Are they going to close the Centre down or something? And if so what is the reason they gave. And please not what you think is the reason but the reason they gave if they gave one.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

According to the news the Schubert centre in Vernon is deeply in debt and in danger of closing, despite the fact it is very well used by a lot of seniors.

I have to admit that, even though I don't live in Vernon, I think there is a stronger case for helping out the senior centre than for having a new art gallery. In an ideal world, both would be funded. But when difficult choices have to be made, I would have opted for the seniors centre.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

OP wants to spend tax money on a private firm that has proven can not keep its head above water.
I can think of no worse use of tax payers money than prop up a failing private firm.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The non-profit seniors’ community centre is now fundraising for a furnace and HVAC system replacement, as it works to keep the doors open.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6433922/vern ... r-furnace/

It would be a crying shame to have this centre shut down.

It has been a gathering place for Vernon seniors since the doors opened in 1984, but Vernon's Schubert Centre is experiencing some financial challenges.

The centre is currently $290,000 in debt and in need of a new HVAC system that will cost another $180,000.

And that debt load is raising some concerns for the future of the popular place.

Diane Weaver, board of directors president, said there is a “very real danger” the centre may be forced to close - but that will not happen without a fight.

“Seniors are really important to this place and to the community of Vernon and we are going to make sure that doesn't happen,” said Weaver.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/27 ... challenges

I know many seniors that frequent this centre - the City could be looking at ways to help them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 1791 »

Who needs an art gallery ? Have you ever been to one ? Pretty sure we are all going to be using seniors centres if we live long enough. Just the general public use vs rich socialite use the seniors win
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

1791 wrote:Who needs an art gallery ? Have you ever been to one ? Pretty sure we are all going to be using seniors centres if we live long enough. Just the general public use vs rich socialite use the seniors win

Did you buy a ticket to the fundraiser or donate a silent auction item?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The Schubert Centre is in desperate need of replacing the building’s 34-year-old furnace.

Mark your calendar for Friday, Jan. 24, when the centre kicks off its furnace fundraising campaign with an exceptionally fun event — a dinner along with entertainment by comedian ventriloquist Don Bryan and dance music by the Shawn Lightfoot Band.

Tickets are $125/person. With the purchase of each ticket a $75 charitable donation receipt will be provided.

To purchase tickets or book a table contact Shirley Higgins at 250-549-4201 or stop into the Schubert Centre and purchase tickets from one of the senior volunteers at the front desk.

Silent Auction items and/or a monetary donations are also being accepted.

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/enter ... rt-centre/

I'll be looking into it.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

DetectivePikachu wrote:OP wants to spend tax money on a private firm that has proven can not keep its head above water.
I can think of no worse use of tax payers money than prop up a failing private firm.
are you saying the centre is a private firm?. Can somebody please add all the information of what's really going on who owns what excetera excetera
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It started as a community centre for seniors back in 1981 and had to relocate to its current location.
Maybe this will help:

https://www.charitydata.ca/charity/schu ... 957RR0001/
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

1791 wrote:Who needs an art gallery ?

People.
1791 wrote:Have you ever been to one ?

Several.
1791 wrote:Pretty sure we are all going to be using seniors centres if we live long enough.

Lots of seniors don't.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

common_sense_guy wrote:
DetectivePikachu wrote:OP wants to spend tax money on a private firm that has proven can not keep its head above water.
are you saying the centre is a private firm?. Can somebody please add all the information of what's really going on who owns what excetera excetera

To clarify it’s a non profit society. Not owned by any level of government.
I did not mean to imply they are a for profit entity if that was the assumption.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

This looks like a good situation for GoFundMe. I bet they would have no problem raising the funds if they know about that
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

They have options right now and going through those first.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

I hope we'll find out more about WHY they are so in debt. Is it because of Catherine Gardens not selling as well, or quickly, as hoped?

Is it just not enough income / donations to go around? We dealt with Jack (previous manager) for many years, and he always seemed to be very careful. But, of course, one never knows what is going on behind the scenes.

I can see where the huge expense of the new furnace will add quite a burden, but the previous debt is significant. Perhaps it was all on schedule due to the building of the CG, and planned payments, but the furnace is now pushing it over the limit.

I think Schubert Centre is a very worthwhile place, and hope the problems get resolved.

Return to “North Okanagan”