Schubert Centre Vernon

dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Schubert Centre Vernon

Post by dontrump »

DetectivePikachu wrote:OP wants to spend tax money on a private firm that has proven can not keep its head above water.
I can think of no worse use of tax payers money than prop up a failing private firm.

your wrong and your post is irresponsible ';; the city should be paying for the much needed furnace system
end of story this center is a much needed system for seniors quality of life in vernon
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

If the city paid for even part of this new heating system, wouldn't that be some kinda socialsim?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bob vernon wrote:If the city paid for even part of this new heating system, wouldn't that be some kinda socialsim?

LOL I assume your being humorous and not asking a serious question here ?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

dontrump wrote:
bob vernon wrote:If the city paid for even part of this new heating system, wouldn't that be some kinda socialsim?

LOL I assume your being humorous and not asking a serious question here ?

I'm being hunourous AND asking a serious question.
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect” - Mark Twain

“"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -W. Churchill
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

If it isn't a city-owned building, and it is not a city organization, then no, they should not be covering the cost of the new furnace.

Perhaps Schubert Centre can apply for a grant. There seem to be multitudes of grants that assoc. can apply for; it's just a matter of doing it. I don't know the rules, but some senior's centres get grants for getting pool tables recovered, so surely a furnace would take priority over that.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

Has anyone heard any more about Schubert Centre, and why they are in such financial trouble?

In the Castanet article a while back, they said something along the lines of 'we want to enjoy the good news about the auction proceeds, etc., and will publish more next week about the problems.' Next week has come and gone, and I haven't seen any news.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Here is link to Centre …

https://www.schubertcentre.ca/
SexySadie

Post by SexySadie »

As far as I remember the centre was built by The Knights Of Columbus. As less and less people attend church and do not join civic organizations the ability to grow and fundraise has declined. Become involved if you care. Vernon has a huge senior population. There are not enough places for them to go. Helena centre is also underfunded. Not enough is being done and they can’t maneuver the world on their own. It’s up to the community to save this place. Perhaps a few suggestions on how to solve this would be more helpful. Can’t a few HVAC companies donate their install time and a fundraising committee get the money together for the material? I’ll donate $100 bucks will anyone else?
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

I agree, Sadie, it needs saving. It's a great place for seniors to go. Hopefully, when we're allowed to have group activities again, Schubert will get up and running.

Yes, it would be great if some HVAC guys donated time, but right now, a lot of them are possibly not working much either.

I still want to know WHY they are in so much debt. If it's poor management, I'm not throwing good money after bad. It is not just due to the new system, because they were already in debt. I always thought Jack an extremely conscientious and capable administrator, but one never really knows behind the scenes. How much of that is due to Catherine Gardens, and perhaps it was over budget and didn't sell enough units?
FairlyKnew
Fledgling

Post by FairlyKnew »

I agree that it is very important to the community. We donated to the raffle and asked our daughter who is a grant writer to look into the possibility of helping them. She didn't have access to their financials, but after looking at what was online, she also questioned how they had gotten into such debt. She didn't think grants would be accessible with that kind of debt. It would be helpful to know what the background is. Also, it is probably not even open under the current circumstances (Covid).
SexySadie

Post by SexySadie »

Your daughter is exactly what is needed. I think you’re on the right track there. Don’t give up. If this is still a Knight of Columbus organization maybe they can help. Accountability by the people who are paid to run this organization is a good step in deciding whether there is room to grow closer to a balanced financial statement. Maybe time to find out if there is a chance to attend an in-house board meeting. Better yet organize a membership meeting to see how they are addressing their members future.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

FairlyKnew, they've been closed for a couple of weeks already, or more.

Around the time of the auction, the new manager said something like, 'we'd like to give the good news about auction results and will put out info next week (or later in the week) about the whole situation (debt).' They never did, and that annoys me. While it may be none of my business, technically, it's my business if they want my money.

Return to “North Okanagan”