Warning! Potholes

Home of the traffic rant.
kiabird
Fledgling

Warning! Potholes

Post by kiabird »

Some wheel-bending potholes:
32nd Street southbound, fast lane, between Boston Pizza and Staples.
Polson overpass, fast lane, near Diner on Six.
tabubil
Fledgling

Re: Warning! Potholes

Post by tabubil »

Snow is melting in Vernon that only means just about every road will have vast amounts of big pot holes. Maybe if the city would stop spending money extravagant buildings eg rec centre, cultural centre Kal tire place they might have enough money to contract out repairing and paving our city streets so we will not destroy our vehicles.
I bet the roads around city owned property and where the manager and council members reside are in good shape.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

They repair the roads every spring once the freeze thaw cycle stops. To suggest they try and fill potholes in winter is foolish and a waste of money.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Potholes are getting fixed now.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

There should be a class action suit against the city for allowing the pothole to get as big as they did and to stay as long as they have allowed them. Vernon is the worst I have ever seen for potholes. And it's only fair that when we pay taxes that should be going to fix that . In my opinion they are knowingly negligent enough and know the potholes are causing damage to vehicles and it's only a matter of time till somebody hits the pothole and goes out of control and gets into a major accident as a result. They know the potholes are there they know they're causing damage to vehicles and they don't do nothing. I don't care if you can't put asphalt down during certain temperatures but then send someone out and fill them with sand even if you have to do it daily I don't care. To destroy your vehicle and possibly get into an accident because they can't fix the potholes in a timely and safe manner than they should be liable for damage incurred to people and vehicles. Maybe even the threat of a class action suit will smarten them up enough to get on it and do their job. With the road taxes and every other tax we pay our roads should not ever look like that. There is no excuse
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Could be an excuse if no one is filing a complaint with the city and only talking about it online.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kiabird
Fledgling

Post by kiabird »

Those 2 are fixed.
Thanks, Vernon Roads department!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Pothole repair is 50/50 chance of holding together in cold wet weather.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Here is a photo showing damage a pothole can cause

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/275475 ... us-victims
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Catsumi wrote:Here is a photo showing damage a pothole can cause

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/275475 ... us-victims

No evidence that picture fits the actual story, just sayin'..

Keep a line of sight and be attentive...scan....

For the most part people should be able to pick a less
destructive line.

Might not miss them all, miss the worst.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

What they do now and in the spring is temporary at best, you cannot just put warm pavement in and run over it a couple of times with a small roller from the back of pick up.
The city is wants to spend money on everything else. By shutting roads down in the summer removing the old pavement ensuring the gravel base is in good shape and repaving in a continuous pave, this will last for years. But this cost money and they refuse to take it from the big things that they can parade around the news and show how modern and forward thinking the city is. But tourist know by driving and looking at the street how those elected spend the taxpayers money and what means more to them. What the locals think of those elected or what the tourist think, in this town money always spent on tourism, and I have never seen any reports showing that the city gets back more than they spend for tourism.
But hey maybe someone in the city has shares in tires and or a paving company and then they make lots of money.
As for 32 Street let Mr Eric Foster know as it is a provincial thing and see if he does anything, I will say with 90% assurance that he will not he will just hope it goes away.
Do as I do go a little slower and ensure two people in the front are looking for those potholes,
Have fun playing the new live arcade game dog the pot holes.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Old Kamloops Road has some very bad craters. Especially along the west shoulder. This road is often used by overloaded trucks dodging the gumment scale east of Swan Lake on highway 97 and the old patches along the west shoulder are all punched out. Traffic heading into town crowds, and even crosses, the centre line in order to miss the potholes and a collision could easily happen.

Leaving these holes is just negligent. But parts of the road are in Vernon and parts are in the RDNO and I suspect each is leaving it for the other.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

DetectivePikachu wrote:They repair the roads every spring once the freeze thaw cycle stops. To suggest they try and fill potholes in winter is foolish and a waste of money.

Really? Foolish and a waste of money? How about all the people that have had serious Damage Done to their vehicles that as a result of out of hand potholes. It's not rocket science. I don't care if they got a fill them every 2 or three days. Do you think it's fair that people have to pay hundreds of dollars to fix your tires rims shocks and anything else from those insane potholes that could actually cause an accident and kill somebody. If they can I get the problem spots before winter that's their problem. it should not be our problem and our expense fixing our vehicles. I'd say we pay pretty damn good money and Road tax and every other kind of tax that our potholes should not be the size to swallow up small children.. I put money on it that you haven't had the unfortunate situation where you've hit one have you . A potential accident waiting to happen that thousands and thousands of people have to drive over for a try and Dodge everyday. No it should not wait until spring if they have the potential to cause accidents and or kill.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
kiabird
Fledgling

Post by kiabird »

Driving my grandson home from kindergarten yesterday, I swerved slightly to miss a "new" pothole.
I saw it too late and my wheel hit it.
Grandson chirped: "Got it!" [icon_lol2.gif]

A tip o' the hat, though, to Coldstream's road crew who are filling potholes sooner than they did in other years. :up:

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”