southy
Lord of the Board

Re: 14 Reasons Why Vernon Sucks

Post by southy »

[icon_lol2.gif]
Theother

Post by Theother »

Can there be less older people...… Um ya.. Just wait... hahahaha but then.. you are the older person.. its a small town. im from a small town in ontairo.. guess what.. its exactly the same.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

#1 is a little over the top, it's fairly safe downtown, but having more young people downtown would help flush out the trash and when I say young I mean under retirement.
I think the rest kinda goes with living in your home town.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

I didn't bother to watch the rant, as I find they are usually silly and overdone.

If you don't like Vernon, I'm sure there is someplace else to go. Lots of people DO like / love it here. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I lived in Kelowna for 29 years, and Vernon is terrific in comparison. The traffic congestion is a major source of antagonism any time I have to go to Kelowna.

Overall, I think the people are nicer too - less snobby. My husband does service work and says he would much rather work for someone in Sicamous or Blind Bay, than he would for someone in Kelowna. He can spend a day at someone's house in the Kelowna area and they'll ignore him all day long - not even offer him a coffee. That doesn't matter - he takes his own lunch; it is the rudeness he encounters. Or, he can spend the day in the Shuswap and people make him a sandwich, chat about stuff and appreciate the work he is doing.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Feb 2nd, 2020, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Discuss the topic not fellow posters.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

OKkayak wrote:
dontrump wrote:the only reasonable complaint was #1 after that one can easily see hes a looser liberal all about me fanatic

But he worked at Dollarama [icon_lol2.gif]

I suspect that was when he was a university student. He's obviously well educated (even if you don't agree with his assessment of the town) and does state that he's in the process of getting hired on full time to a good paying job.

I do agree with him that downtown crime and discarded needles are an issue that need to be addressed, but suspect the necessary remedies need to be enacted at the Provincial, rather than Municipal level. And I also agree with him that the transit system has room for improvement. However, I doubt residents are willing to pay the tax increases necessary to enact the necessary changes.

I stopped listening soon after #8, so can't comment on the rest of the video.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Theother wrote:Can there be less older people...… Um ya.. Just wait... hahahaha but then.. you are the older person.. its a small town. im from a small town in ontairo.. guess what.. its exactly the same.

I hear ya - hope you are not talking about that famous Neil Young song - Long May You Run. You know the part where he sings "back in Blind River". Now that is small town Ontario. :biggrin:
Theother

Post by Theother »

very close
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

Should have added #15

Really low video production values.
NachoManRandySalad

Post by NachoManRandySalad »

Very accurate! As much as I truly love Vernon and its surrounding area, it can feel like an absolute dive at times.
outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

what a hypocrite.

Reason #2 - we like to attack each other on social media etc....
Reason #3 - if you like skiing or winter "well screw you"...

duuuude, please head back to those "40 countries you've traveled to"... you are welcome there. If you stay (but please don't, whiners only make things worse), use your education to start a business, create jobs, help lift people up - all you are doing is blaming, shaming doing nothing about it.

You are equally as bad as the junkies creating 90% of our issues, you are the worst type of scab in this town.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

I agree that downtown is a bit of a shambles, with drugs, etc., as posted above. I also agree with the previous poster that something needs to be done at a provincial level. I don't think the city can do it all.

Transit isn't something I've ever used, because we live out of town. My husband has used the bus a few times and found it pretty good, but since it is more voluntary than necessary when he has done so, it doesn't matter. If there's not a bus when he wants to go, he just drives. But for sure, taxpayers would be up in arms if asked to pay more so someone ELSE can ride the bus more efficiently.
slimebucket

Post by slimebucket »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Feb 11th, 2020, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attacks throughout. Rewrite and resubmit
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

As an old fart myself, I just want to say that I agree with some of what this guy says, but I chose to keep my feelings to myself rather than post them all over the Internet. We moved away from Vernon at the end of January just in time to avoid the Covid 19 panic that's currently gripping the country. We now live in a lovely small Southern Alberta town that we can actually afford. The climate here is moderate, the people are very friendly and open, and everything we need is right here. We couldn't be happier with our choice.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Verminator wrote:As an old fart myself, I just want to say that I agree with some of what this guy says, but I chose to keep my feelings to myself rather than post them all over the Internet. We moved away from Vernon at the end of January just in time to avoid the Covid 19 panic that's currently gripping the country. We now live in a lovely small Southern Alberta town that we can actually afford. The climate here is moderate, the people are very friendly and open, and everything we need is right here. We couldn't be happier with our choice.

When I tell my friends that the average daily max temperature in Dec and Jan in Lethbridge is 0.6 and 0.1C versus -1.6 and -0.9 in Vernon people are so absolutely shocked that they almost suffer a coronary.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “North Okanagan”