New rec centre moving forward

bob vernon
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4113
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

New rec centre moving forward

Post by bob vernon »

We'll be able to see some tentative plans this month. Get 'er built.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/27 ... ing-centre
CanuckFan
Fledgling
Posts: 213
Joined: Jul 4th, 2010, 10:30 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by CanuckFan »

I agree. I hope they get moving on it quickly.
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 153
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by tabubil »

So you think this is great well they got a 10% in favor from a very small sent out poll and they say this is good enough to make plans. Have you looked at the cost and what they want and where, at the old Kin race track you tell me how the senior, handicapped and low income people are supposed to get there. Then how much more will a daily use cost.
We have better ways to spend this money as a former law enforcement officer I will stand up and say that the police station we presently ask our growing force to work out of is ridiculous. If you want good enforcement give them a safe and protected environment to work from not this building that I would not give Armstrong as a police station.
Then their is the fact that our city hall is too small as seen by the containers being used to move equipment out while an update is taking place. Our elected officials and office staff also need a new a more modern building to work from.
The police station should go where the old civic centre was and then on old city hall grounds build a new building that we can be proud of.
To save money get out of the agreement to build that ridiculous overpriced Cultural centre.
But we do need a fix or replace the recreation centre but lets have all the households in Vernon given a survey and then publish the results not keep them secret like they do all the other reports and surveys that they take. We do not have too have a big and fancy water sport and gym centre, build something that will fit Vernon not cost a great amount a few get to use because they cannot afford the price.
Lets also have the city come clean on how much we owe in long term debt and when each will be paid off and a list of all the things they want to build with a cost and also an dollar affect on our taxes, as I for one do not relish the idea of having to sell my house because I can no long afford the taxes.
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by OKkayak »

tabubil wrote:at the old Kin race track you tell me how the senior, handicapped and low income people are supposed to get there.

The same way they get to anywhere else they want to go:

Image
dg3
Board Meister
Posts: 456
Joined: Apr 23rd, 2011, 9:37 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by dg3 »

dont need a new pool,
just ban out of town people from current one.
armstrong has a pool, coldstream is rich enough to build one, bx can gth.

no amalgamation, no pool use.
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 153
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by tabubil »

OKkayak wrote:
tabubil wrote:at the old Kin race track you tell me how the senior, handicapped and low income people are supposed to get there.

The same way they get to anywhere else they want to go:

Image

have you ridden the transit system here, long waits and few stops and now they have to travel from end of town to the other just to use a facility they paid for. Where it is many people just walk better exercise than sitting on a bus and do not say bike because if you like to take you life in your hands by using 32 or 27 Street or they the supposedly new 30 street multi purpose trail you are living in a dream world.
I am thinking of the time comes and I will have vehicle (soon) and would rather walk than ride a bus to have a nice swim and the over to the Schubert Centre for a nice coffee.
But you can pollute the plant more and not get any exercise but as a senior trying to help those that need it and save the planet even if a little bit I will get my fresh air and exercise.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2620
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by dontrump »

tabubil wrote:So you think this is great well they got a 10% in favor from a very small sent out poll and they say this is good enough to make plans. Have you looked at the cost and what they want and where, at the old Kin race track you tell me how the senior, handicapped and low income people are supposed to get there. Then how much more will a daily use cost.
We have better ways to spend this money as a former law enforcement officer I will stand up and say that the police station we presently ask our growing force to work out of is ridiculous. If you want good enforcement give them a safe and protected environment to work from not this building that I would not give Armstrong as a police station.
Then their is the fact that our city hall is too small as seen by the containers being used to move equipment out while an update is taking place. Our elected officials and office staff also need a new a more modern building to work from.
The police station should go where the old civic centre was and then on old city hall grounds build a new building that we can be proud of.
To save money get out of the agreement to build that ridiculous overpriced Cultural centre.
But we do need a fix or replace the recreation centre but lets have all the households in Vernon given a survey and then publish the results not keep them secret like they do all the other reports and surveys that they take. We do not have too have a big and fancy water sport and gym centre, build something that will fit Vernon not cost a great amount a few get to use because they cannot afford the price.
Lets also have the city come clean on how much we owe in long term debt and when each will be paid off and a list of all the things they want to build with a cost and also an dollar affect on our taxes, as I for one do not relish the idea of having to sell my house because I can no long afford the taxes.

Basically I over all agree may be some difference of opinion on some small points but overall agree;;iam a Vernon business man of 46 years own some commercial spaces etc and This city is taxed to death and the money being spent these days is not to the benefit of all not even close
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by OKkayak »

tabubil wrote:have you ridden the transit system here, long waits and few stops and now they have to travel from end of town to the other just to use a facility they paid for.

I have, and the people you described are the biggest user of the system, if the new rec centre gets moved up to the old Kin Race Track location, the only difference is they'll take the 3 instead of the 9 (the 2 when it used to go that way) they currently take. Seems to work pretty good for the actual users.
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 153
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by tabubil »

Maybe for you but I live in East Hill and the many that I talk to at bus stops are upset because you have be out 5-10 minutes early as the buses do not run on time.
Where are the majority of the large buildings that seniors or those that require assistance live, in the downtown core why? Because it is within walking distance to all that they require and this saves them a little money for extras. Move it up north and now an added monthly cost.
Even the riders that use the Village Green mall stop will tell you they are not happy with the service. Those that work early or late will also tell you the same thing.
If this does go up to the race track can you assure me that the transit fares will not increase and also that the cost to use the new improved centre will stay the same-no you cannot. So then if both go up, those that can barely cover the cost are left with a big decision.
We chose to live in East Hill 20 years ago as we wanted to retire here and everything was within walking distance and gave us exercise, move the recreation centre and take away why I moved here.
But we are all entitled to our viewpoint and I respect all those that are willing to show theirs
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by OKkayak »

tabubil wrote:Maybe for you but I live in East Hill and the many that I talk to at bus stops are upset because you have be out 5-10 minutes early as the buses do not run on time.

Any transit system will tell you to be at a bus stop at least 5 minutes before the bus is scheduled to be there. Bus might be a couple of minutes early here and there, depending on the run and time of day, thats normal, anything more than 5 minutes is rare. Thats why buses have timing points in their schedules.
tabubil wrote:Where are the majority of the large buildings that seniors or those that require assistance live, in the downtown core why? Because it is within walking distance to all that they require and this saves them a little money for extras. Move it up north and now an added monthly cost.

Well lets see, just off the top of my head, you have The Gateby, Canterbury Court, Orchard Valley in the downtown core. Carrington, Heritage Square, Heron Grove, the new one up by Walmart and a few out in Coldstream, aren't within the downtown core, so the "majority" aren't in the core. As far as the non-assistance, 55+ apartments downtown and area were there long before Vernon even had transit service which officially started in 1980 (not including the old bus that drove around before).
tabubil wrote:Even the riders that use the Village Green mall stop will tell you they are not happy with the service. Those that work early or late will also tell you the same thing.

Every transit system has riders that aren't happy with their respective system. I started taking the bus in Vernon when Ken Altena has his single bus on select services, was there for its first expansion in 1980 with 4 buses and service only until 7pm (9pm on Thursday and Fridays) which stayed almost the same until 2007 with the execution of taking of the Thursday/Friday 9pm shrive in favour of putting on 2 buses for 4 hours on Sundays. Then the first next real expansion came where they went up to 7 buses and brought back the later service on Fridays, Saturdays and had 4 buses for Sunday service.
tabubil wrote:If this does go up to the race track can you assure me that the transit fares will not increase and also that the cost to use the new improved centre will stay the same-no you cannot. So then if both go up, those that can barely cover the cost are left with a big decision.

Why would I have to assure you that bus fare won't go up? Bus fares always go up. When I moved to Vernon, bus fare was 50 cents, when I left, it was $2, now its $2.50. The majority of riders (especially those you describe) have a subsidized yearly pass through the BC Government. I think it costs them $65(?) a year now and can be used in every transit system in the Province.

Is Vernon transit perfect for everyone? Nope, no transit system is. But for the size of Vernon, they have a pretty decent system in place.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2620
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by dontrump »

Vernon needs a new rec center like I need a sore butt ;; we do need a new larger cop station
lets build what we really need modify what exists and get the debt back under control before we build any more swimming pools, library's, culture centers , rec center etc
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3243
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by southy »

dontrump wrote:Vernon needs a new rec center like I need a sore butt ;; we do need a new larger cop station
lets build what we really need modify what exists and get the debt back under control before we build any more swimming pools, library's, culture centers , rec center etc


Interesting! The seniors in Penticton feel the same way you do Don. Who would use these facilities anyways. To hell with future generations. Keep the kids on the streets? Who needs entertainment? Swimming pools? You got a lake. Kids don't read anymore so why a new library? Yup the blinders are on. Unfortunately.
tabubil
Fledgling
Posts: 153
Joined: Jan 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by tabubil »

southy wrote:
dontrump wrote:Vernon needs a new rec center like I need a sore butt ;; we do need a new larger cop station
lets build what we really need modify what exists and get the debt back under control before we build any more swimming pools, library's, culture centers , rec center etc


Interesting! The seniors in Penticton feel the same way you do Don. Who would use these facilities anyways. To hell with future generations. Keep the kids on the streets? Who needs entertainment? Swimming pools? You got a lake. Kids don't read anymore so why a new library? Yup the blinders are on. Unfortunately.

Why do the seniors say this simple they are the most attacked and not enough personnel to tackle all this. Not to hell with the future generations but it is time they face the facts that to get what you want you have to earn it. Not beg on the street or steal, take a look at entertainment not at the cinema now, as many are going out of business, and public swimming at our rec centre is so under used for public swimming. We also live in a great area to go out camping in the summer, skiing in the winter so they have lots to do.
As for why the younger generation is like this I as a senior will take some of the blame as I let my daughter have a cell phone the did not push to her to use only as needed not in her face all the time. It taught her to read and she did until most of the group he was with used their phones for everything. As an adult I bet you use your cell phone all the time and cannot live without it, well I can and yes I read and I interact with people. Maybe it is time to get rid of all this electronic garbage and get back to interacting with those that live around you
No my blinders are not on like yours I see the world and the people in it as they are now and accept some of the responsibility for this. CAN YOU
southy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3243
Joined: Jun 1st, 2010, 4:14 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by southy »

Hummm .. not sure I really follow or agree with your comments. What I am getting at is unfortunately whether it is in Vernon, Kelowna or Penticton or anytown in BC there seems to be a group of elderly who really are against change. Every town needs to provide services for their citizens and citizens include the younger folks, teens, 20 somethings, 30 somethings and all the way up to 70 and 80 somethings. I think the issue I am hearing from you is that you are first against change of any kind. My 17 year old son has an iPhone - glad he does. His locator is on 24/7 which means I know exactly where he is 24/7. I remember as a teen I used to use our rotary phone to call my friends - well things change now I have an iPhone and can call, text or facetime.

Family time? We use the pool as a family - it is really kinda fun. My wife and I attend events at the SOEC, Penticton Trade and Convention Centre, Cleland Theatre you get what I'm saying. These facilties provide quality entertainment and provide family time. I meet my buddies for coffee weekly and we sit in a booth across from each other and tell lies every week :D .


Seniors (and I should state I am one of them) seem to block progress over cost. I get it. But sometimes we need to look at the advantages of growth and services for today, tomorrow and the future. This is 2020 - technology is only going to continue to advance and we either keep up or we become very bitter and angry. Not a place I want to be.
CanuckFan
Fledgling
Posts: 213
Joined: Jul 4th, 2010, 10:30 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by CanuckFan »

Seniors can ride the bus just like everyone else. If needed, the bus service will increase to accommodate all the extra people going to Kin Park.

We do need a new rec centre. The old one is outdated and in bad repair, and too small. Lots of people don't even bother going because the pools are too crowded or there aren't good times for what activities they want.

Most people don't have the luxury of walking EVERY SINGLE PLACE they want to go, and no town should stay static. That's why we lose the younger people - they can't wait to leave a deadsville.

I think we need the cultural centre, as well. Yes, I know it all costs money, but if we don't spruce up this town, it will be all old people (like us) - no activities, no families.

We do also need a new police station - hopefully, NOT in the centre of town.

Return to “North Okanagan”