New rec centre moving forward

nicholas p
Posts: 74
Joined: May 1st, 2015, 8:06 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by nicholas p »

Yes people need new facilities but not at the expense of tax payers money as Schubert centre & other senior citizen homes need upgrading tax payers don't pay for it similar way if the youngster need it they to work hard by raising the fund required & not given on golden plate increasing the taxes.Enough is enough.Some people need free parking in down town so that local business increases,local business need more RCMP officers in down town etc. While opening the business they knew that customer need to pay for parking& they also knew that they should have to invest in safety system of their business as general public invests not expect it from tax payers money
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister
Posts: 395
Joined: Jun 8th, 2019, 7:35 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by DetectivePikachu »

Facilities like this help make livable vibrant communities.
We need a new one, the old one is falling apart.

You know what the best thing is about old farts with bad opinions? just wait a few years and those opinions will no longer exist.

:130:
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 32536
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by GordonH »

Vernon recreation & pool center is it the same one since the 70s, if so population of Vernon has grown a lot since it first opened.

I haven't been in since the late 70s, I suspect replacement is well overdue.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote:Vernon recreation & pool center is it the same one since the 70s, if so population of Vernon has grown a lot since it first opened.

I haven't been in since the late 70s, I suspect replacement is well overdue.

The pool had a big face-lift some 30 years ago but in essence, its still close to the original pool. Dogwood gym is still the same. Curious if that downstairs gym is still there with the little window in the pool, under the water line, so you could peek in [icon_lol2.gif]

Learned how to swim in that pool. After several failed lessons, I just went to the deep end and jumped in off the diving board, was terrifying but I learned pretty quick [icon_lol2.gif]

Lots of memories with that pool, but its time for a new one.
CanuckFan
Fledgling
Posts: 189
Joined: Jul 4th, 2010, 10:30 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by CanuckFan »

Of course Schubert Centre and Care homes don't get taxpayer funding. Care homes are for-profit, privately owned businesses. Schubert is a private society as well, not a city institution.

Rec Centres ARE a city facility, so of course, taxpayers pay for them. smh
Happytobehere
Fledgling
Posts: 329
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2008, 12:49 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by Happytobehere »

dg3 wrote:dont need a new pool,
just ban out of town people from current one.
armstrong has a pool, coldstream is rich enough to build one, bx can gth.

no amalgamation, no pool use.


If you did your homework, you would know that Coldstream and the BX contribute to the operations of the aquatic centre. Vernon doesn't do it alone. As for your comment about Coldstream being rich...what a laugh. How about the poor areas of Vernon..Predator Ridge, Tronson Road and Foothills?
nicholas p
Posts: 74
Joined: May 1st, 2015, 8:06 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by nicholas p »

Who said Schubert centre is profitable organization better know the facts. Please see the below link
https://www.charitydata.ca/charity/schu ... 957RR0001/
Yes, at present care homes are private which some of our aged people cant afford why can't the city build a care home as they have paid the taxes when they were young & provide accommodation at subsidised rate instead of building a recreation centre & re taxing the same seniors for subsidising young population.
dg3
Board Meister
Posts: 454
Joined: Apr 23rd, 2011, 9:37 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by dg3 »

Happytobehere wrote:
dg3 wrote:dont need a new pool,
just ban out of town people from current one.
armstrong has a pool, coldstream is rich enough to build one, bx can gth.

no amalgamation, no pool use.


If you did your homework, you would know that Coldstream and the BX contribute to the operations of the aquatic centre. Vernon doesn't do it alone. As for your comment about Coldstream being rich...what a laugh. How about the poor areas of Vernon..Predator Ridge, Tronson Road and Foothills?

they contibute to over crowding, the high cost of new rec center could be saved by detaching the leeches. just keep the old one, we dont need out of town riff- raff and their chump-change.
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by OKkayak »

dg3 wrote:they contibute to over crowding, the high cost of new rec center could be saved by detaching the leeches. just keep the old one, we dont need out of town riff- raff and their chump-change.

Such nonsense you post.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2603
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by dontrump »

nicholas p wrote:Who said Schubert centre is profitable organization better know the facts. Please see the below link
https://www.charitydata.ca/charity/schu ... 957RR0001/
Yes, at present care homes are private which some of our aged people cant afford why can't the city build a care home as they have paid the taxes when they were young & provide accommodation at subsidised rate instead of building a recreation centre & re taxing the same seniors for subsidising young population.


Look The SB liberal government gives billions of dollars to muslim and African countrys all the time which of course is outrageous but yet there is never any funds across Canada for the Schubert centers of the country
to name one of many many associations that could use better funding
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 21348
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by alanjh595 »

Look The SB liberal government gives billions of dollars to muslim and African countrys all the time


Where do you get that from? Is there a link? Something, anything to support that statement?
Bring back the LIKE button.
CanuckFan
Fledgling
Posts: 189
Joined: Jul 4th, 2010, 10:30 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by CanuckFan »

I did NOT say that Schubert Centre was a profitable enterprise. I said they were a PRIVATE society, not a taxpayer funded institution.

Coldstream etc. is not leeching off Vernon for pool use. We all pay our share of the taxes, as decided by the PTB.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2603
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by dontrump »

alanjh595 wrote:
Look The SB liberal government gives billions of dollars to muslim and African countrys all the time


Where do you get that from? Is there a link? Something, anything to support that statement?


If you read the news etc its all there do a search if you know how its not a big secrete
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2603
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by dontrump »

alanjh595 wrote:
Look The SB liberal government gives billions of dollars to muslim and African countrys all the time


Where do you get that from? Is there a link? Something, anything to support that statement?

surely people don't live under a rock in the forest ?
The Trudeau Liberals are continuing their policy of giving away tons of our money to foreign countries – even as serious problems here at home go unaddressed. Justin Trudeau made the announcement a speech, in which he revealed that the government is taking a whopping $1.4 BILLION more from taxpayers and giving it away outside our borders.
Justin Trudeau Announces He's Giving $1.4 BILLION More Of ...
www.spencerfernando.com/2019/06/04/just ... ion-more-o
Justin Trudeau Sends IRAN $2.5 Million Dollars In Foreign …
Under Trudeau, Canada Spends Over $10 Billion In Foreign ...
https://www.spencerfernando.com/2017/03/20/global...
ajoker
Posts: 49
Joined: Dec 20th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Re: New rec centre moving forward

Post by ajoker »

nicholas p wrote:Yes people need new facilities but not at the expense of tax payers money as Schubert centre & other senior citizen homes need upgrading tax payers don't pay for it similar way if the youngster need it they to work hard by raising the fund required & not given on golden plate increasing the taxes.Enough is enough.Some people need free parking in down town so that local business increases,local business need more RCMP officers in down town etc. While opening the business they knew that customer need to pay for parking& they also knew that they should have to invest in safety system of their business as general public invests not expect it from tax payers money


*bleep*? If you're advocating some kind of old people first mandate, speak English - it's what all the old white people here speak.

You do know where taxes come from right? For example, income tax? It comes from "the youngster" that works hard, that subsidizes the low cost elderly housing that exists all over Vernon.

Return to “North Okanagan”