Looks like Spring Burning Cancelled

kiabird

Looks like Spring Burning Cancelled

Post by kiabird »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/295832/City-of-Vernon-cancels-burn-permits

Guessing that other communities (Coldstream, etc.) will also ban spring burning.
Farms and acreages have been piling broken branches and prunings into piles, which will become a nice cozy home for not only mice but the rats that have been showing up here.

I fail to see the benefit ... just how does stopping burning (and providing dens for pestilence) help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Re: Looks like Spring Burning Cancelled

Post by GordonH »

Opportunity for tree chipping companies to replace burning.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

I just burn in the evening
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

kiabird wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/295832/City-of-Vernon-cancels-burn-permits

Guessing that other communities (Coldstream, etc.) will also ban spring burning.
Farms and acreages have been piling broken branches and prunings into piles, which will become a nice cozy home for not only mice but the rats that have been showing up here.

I fail to see the benefit ... just how does stopping burning (and providing dens for pestilence) help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

it does not help at all and not sure what the reasoning is at all what I see in the Vernon and trading area is a total over reaction period as it stands right now I don't know of a single case of active cv19 in our entire trading area
Vernon kicked a Vernon man out of the hospital whom had a severe stroke 4 weeks ago He has total left side paralysis
and is in extreme danger of another stroke all because some idiots in the IH system are worried about and I quote from the doctor "we may have a tsunami of cv19 victims" and are preparing fear mongering and ignorance is all this is
FM we only have like 800 cases in the whole of BC
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Yeah can't see why they'd do this. Most likely an excuse to cancel rather than a reason.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

There are always a number of :cuss: idiots who don't know what good venting means.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Boosted632 wrote:I just burn in the evening

Well be prepared for the Fire Dept to show up on your doorstep and give you a fine.

It's much easier to see you burning in the dark.
All my passwords are protected by amnesia!
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

It won't prevent COVID-19, but it will improve the air quality in the area. People who have breathing problems always suffer during open burning, so this will make them, and the virus sufferers, better off.

That said, it is a PITA, due to the branches piling up attracting animals. I guess we'll have to wait for the fall season, and hope we can burn then.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

Less smoke in the air during a respiratory pandemic seems pretty obvious
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

Bsuds wrote:

Well be prepared for tnot a chancehe Fire Dept to show up on your doorstep and give you a fine.

It's much easier to see you burning in the dark.

Not a chance they would see me I'm not in town the only way they will see is from a helicopter and even then I doubt it
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

Good riddance to the burning. It's a silly practice in a valley. Had enough of smoke during the wildfire season, I dont know why we want to initiate more. Having said that, it's up to the local government to push for and support a viable chipping program. I would also add that the air has been incredibly clear lately, probably the slowdown in traffic has helped. Three weeks ago it was smoky almost every day.
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

bidwell2 wrote:Good riddance to the burning. It's a silly practice in a valley. Had enough of smoke during the wildfire season, I dont know why we want to initiate more. Having said that, it's up to the local government to push for and support a viable chipping program. I would also add that the air has been incredibly clear lately, probably the slowdown in traffic has helped. Three weeks ago it was smoky almost every day.

Some of us have to do it for fire mitigation if the city wants to come and chip it for free great until then there will always be burning on my property get used to it
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Hopefully you know what good venting means.
birdsarentreal.com
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

DetectivePikachu wrote:Less smoke in the air during a respiratory pandemic seems pretty obvious

Except spring burning barely shows up when measuring air pollution. That's why they have rules around venting, etc.

Unless you're directly downwind from a burn, it's not noticeable.
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

GordonH wrote:

Hopefully you know what good venting means.

Absolutely I always watch and make sure the smoke is settling in the valley that way I'm never in the smoke :biggrin:

Return to “North Okanagan”