Budgets for cities

tabubil
Fledgling

Budgets for cities

Post by tabubil »

I do not know what the rest of you think and hope to get some ideas, but I have heard nothing from any level of government about changing budgets lower because of the pandemic.
Our Mayor in Vernon has said nothing and I for one would like to see him and council make some major changes or give us reasons why they should not be made.
First capital projects I think should be put on hold and also any major investments in the future like the Cultural Centre.
then they should take a long look at our workforce and are they are required, let part time go and reduce the hours of work for many more. If this pandemic lasts then I would like to see all contracts with the city unions opened and before you all get up set in the vast majority of contracts both the union and company have back doors to renegotiate.
The city should enforce that city hall will become much more electronic and have bills,permits only issued via online and bills paid.
The use of city vehicles must be overhauled and should only be used with two or more persons per vehicle.
Travel and special conferences should be stopped all employees and members of council stay home and save money.
Now lets hear what you think our mayors should do as I hear Kelowna's major is now looking at doing this.
Last of all let your mayor and council know how you feel, because do not forget THEY WORK AND ARE PAID BY YOU
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Re: Budgets for cities

Post by DetectivePikachu »

tabubil wrote:I do not know what the rest of you think and hope to get some ideas, but I have heard nothing from any level of government about changing budgets lower because of the pandemic.
Our Mayor in Vernon has said nothing and I for one would like to see him and council make some major changes or give us reasons why they should not be made.
First capital projects I think should be put on hold and also any major investments in the future like the Cultural Centre.
then they should take a long look at our workforce and are they are required, let part time go and reduce the hours of work for many more. If this pandemic lasts then I would like to see all contracts with the city unions opened and before you all get up set in the vast majority of contracts both the union and company have back doors to renegotiate.
The city should enforce that city hall will become much more electronic and have bills,permits only issued via online and bills paid.
The use of city vehicles must be overhauled and should only be used with two or more persons per vehicle.
Travel and special conferences should be stopped all employees and members of council stay home and save money.
Now lets hear what you think our mayors should do as I hear Kelowna's major is now looking at doing this.
Last of all let your mayor and council know how you feel, because do not forget THEY WORK AND ARE PAID BY YOU

Whole world is doing social distancing and he wants to talk about car pools and conferences (as if any conferences and travel are going on right now)

The city already laid off 102 workers.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/28 ... facilities

Return to “North Okanagan”