What I can put in my garbage in Vernon

tabubil
Fledgling

What I can put in my garbage in Vernon

Post by tabubil »

I have always thought of myself as caring for the environment and recycling, I have only one bag of garbage every two weeks usually but still get charge for two a week. Now the are telling me as I read on castanet that they do not want my yard or garden waste in the garbage.
Why not they pick up the bags twice a year and what am I to do with the rest during the summer, I might have a bag every month that goes I put out and they pick up, it is only weeds and clippings that I trim or pull from the yard.
I always was told that this just rotted in the dump and caused no problem, now you say I cannot, then pray tell me CITY OF VERNON what am I to do with all this? Keep it until the fall then put out ten bags of rotting garden waste, that will smell and attract mice?
I think not get off you high horses and talk with the people that elected you and maybe you will learn that we are all trying our best and maybe we have no way of getting up to the dump or think we should have to wait and pay to get rid of it.
If want then start reducing my monthly cost of garbage collection and only charge me for what I put out, I will save a bundle of money every year.
I will still put my garden waste out but now it will go into the black bags and garbage can not clear ones on the sides.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: What I can put in my garbage in Vernon

Post by Fancy »

tabubil wrote:I have always thought of myself as caring for the environment and recycling, I have only one bag of garbage every two weeks usually but still get charge for two a week. Now the are telling me as I read on castanet that they do not want my yard or garden waste in the garbage.

I don't think they've wanted it for some time.
http://www.rdno.ca/index.php/services/c ... yard-waste

Waste Connections of Canada will provide curbside collection of leaves and garden refuse to coincide with regular garbage collection days. In order to take part in the program, residents must use clear plastic bags.

https://www.vernon.ca/activities-events ... -next-week
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

tabubil wrote:I think not get off you high horses and talk with the people that elected you and maybe you will learn that we are all trying our best and maybe we have no way of getting up to the dump or think we should have to wait and pay to get rid of it.

Vernon is behind the times. Other areas don't deal with bags but plastic bins which could mean there's a yard waste bin, recycling bin, garbage bin and wet waste bin. People are encouraged to mulch and use a compost.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Get a compost bin or make one. They work great and add good stuff to your garden or just spread it on the lawn.

https://nymag.com/strategist/article/be ... blers.html
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Have a compost bin but also get yard waste pickup every Tuesday - no limit on the number of bins we can set out. Garbage is every Thursday and it's either 2 bags or 2 garbage containers - no limit on number of bags in the container as long as it doesn't weigh more than 50 lbs.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

Just for clarification and the fact that I did not include this with my article but did include it in an email to the Mayor. I do use compost bins, I have two in use at all times I also have four box in my basement that we put recycle that goes to the depots once a month.
So yes I do take what goes in the garbage very seriously as I think we all should.
What we really need is to have a compost pick up every week and garbage collection enforced so we could do this only every two weeks it has worked in other countries and just think of the material we would keep out of the landfill. The compost should be made available to those that use the service at cost the rest sell for a profit.
All levels of our government must find ways to use all the material that we recycle to help save the planet for our children.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The best and cheapest compost bin is just four pallets standing on edge and wired together. Their free around the city. Put your leaves, grass clippings, weeds, kitchen waste in it. Let the stuff break down into soil. It's easy. I have two bins and let the full one sit for a couple of months and complete the decomposition and switch to the other.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Are compost bins a smorgasbord for rats mice racoons and other nasty creatures??
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

composting of any type is good as long as you maintain it and look after it, I have had no animal problems with my bins they are securely closed all the time.
On this subject my clear bag of yard waste and several neighbours in East hill were not picked up today, but instead had a little green tag placed on it saying it was not allowed as it was written in yard waste. I checked our bylaws and could not find anything saying I could not put it out so city hall and or Waste Management are making things up and posting them on social media like Castanet and then just going ahead. It would have been nice to be told that they would not pick up after this bag but no.
So look out the rest of Vernon the garbage police are out.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Noisy Boater wrote:Are compost bins a smorgasbord for rats mice racoons and other nasty creatures??

I have 2 green machine composter's and in 30 years living here have only once had mice in a bin. (That I have seen)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

tabubil wrote:On this subject my clear bag of yard waste and several neighbours in East hill were not picked up today, but instead had a little green tag placed on it saying it was not allowed as it was written in yard waste.

You can put yard waste in your compost bin and as far as grass clippings go I have never done anything but mulch my grass. It's actually good for the lawn.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

small amount of clippings and weeds etc just put in a regular garbage bag those drivers don't do anything but jump out grab the can and dump it no one will know and no one cares as its inconsequential what your describing
where I live in California they allow it all to be put in the weekly garbage and if U know California like I do they have the strictest environmental laws in North America so obviously there is no harm

Return to “North Okanagan”