Suicide Hill Closure

Zgotda
Posts: 1
Joined: Dec 6th, 2016, 8:12 pm

Suicide Hill Closure

Post by Zgotda »

I think that it is ridiculous to close the hill to traffic for 2.5 months due to the grads painting it. If they are worried about traction on the hill due to the type of paint, change which kind of paint is allowed. If it's due to the artwork fading it certainly never bothered any of the grads I knew who painted the hill. The thrill and fascination wear off quite quickly as new grads have more prominent issues to deal with, eg: Their future.
I use this hill to access my neighbourhood frequently during the week and don't feel this is a fair trade for the local residents.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 32595
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Suicide Hill Closure

Post by GordonH »

Suicide hill doesn’t exist anymore, I remember the days one could get air coming down. You had to be damn careful of the light at 27th st.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
User avatar
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd
Posts: 89132
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 8:19 am

Re: Suicide Hill Closure

Post by oneh2obabe »

Zgotda wrote:I think that it is ridiculous to close the hill to traffic for 2.5 months due to the grads painting it. If they are worried about traction on the hill due to the type of paint, change which kind of paint is allowed. If it's due to the artwork fading it certainly never bothered any of the grads I knew who painted the hill. The thrill and fascination wear off quite quickly as new grads have more prominent issues to deal with, eg: Their future.
I use this hill to access my neighbourhood frequently during the week and don't feel this is a fair trade for the local residents.

Links are helpful https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/30 ... ill#302214
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Suicide Hill Closure

Post by OKkayak »

How many cars go up it in a day? 5?

Painting of the hill was a long standing tradition and I think its great that its coming back.

Also, I agree with Gordon, going down the hill was the fun.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister
Posts: 395
Joined: Jun 8th, 2019, 7:35 am

Re: Suicide Hill Closure

Post by DetectivePikachu »

A day or two is fine, even a week.
2.5 months is insanity
bob vernon
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3952
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: Suicide Hill Closure

Post by bob vernon »

GordonH wrote:Suicide hill doesn’t exist anymore, I remember the days one could get air coming down. You had to be damn careful of the light at 27th st.


We used to get air going up. Darn kids nowadays anyhow!
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 62903
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Suicide Hill Closure

Post by Fancy »

Lived in an area that had a very short hill that was steep and getting air was fine but boy did it hurt the head hitting the roof coming back down.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Suicide Hill Closure

Post by OKkayak »

bob vernon wrote:We used to get air going up. Darn kids nowadays anyhow!

On the last day of school, our school bus driver always took us down. The trick was to sit in the back and you'd get some serious air on the second bump [icon_lol2.gif]

Ah, man I miss those days. Life was just better back then.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2603
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Suicide Hill Closure

Post by dontrump »

DetectivePikachu wrote:A day or two is fine, even a week.
2.5 months is insanity


makes zero sense
gordon_as
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3061
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: Suicide Hill Closure

Post by gordon_as »

because some fool who crashes his car 5 weeks later will blame his bad driving on the paint , and sue the City. Back in 81 , we didn't worry about that , because people took responsibility for their own actions. Seems like now , anytime something goes wrong , the first order of business is find out who else might be to blame.

Return to “North Okanagan”