What is with Vernon council

tabubil
Fledgling

What is with Vernon council

Post by tabubil »

I read now that our Mayor and council in their great wisdom want to go ahead with the new recreation centre even though our neighbours do not want to.
What is with this council do they just want to spend all our money and tax everyone out of town.
I think it is time to write to council and tell them to listen to what we want seeing as we employ them. I am writing all council member now and suggest that unless in these economic times you want to spend $90 million on something that will most likely bankrupt the city let them know.
They cannot even get the Cultural centre right after all this time and not telling us all the facts.
Mr Cummings we will not name it after you no matter how much you push and fail to inform us the taxpayers.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/30 ... e-planning
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What is with Vernon council

Post by OKkayak »

Isn't this like the 18th thread you've started on your full on hate for the Rec Center and Vernon council?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I am very much in favour of the new rec centre and also the new cultural centre. But I want to ensure that other people in the North Okanagan pay their share. I'm sick and tired of people showing up at the swimming pool and taking advantage of the facilities without having had their taxes pay for the construction. Ditto the rinks. If you live in Lumby, Coldstream, or anywhere else in the North Okanagan, you should pay a share of the new facilities.

Back in the 1970s, the provincial NDP government forced the amalgamation of Rutland into Kelowna. It cost them political support but it was the right thing and the Okanagan doesn't vote NDP anyway. They should have continued with Coldstream and Vernon. There is no reason for freeloaders to sit on the edge of the city and take advantage of those inside the boundaries. If Coldstream and the regional district won't buck up, maybe the province should twist some arms. I know the NDP power base is on the coast and on the Island, but it's the right thing to do.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

I agree with Bob Vernon - YES to recreation, YES to culture, and YES to ALL OF US who benefit, paying for it.

If you wanna play, you gotta pay. And you especially gotta pay, if you also want a say. If we Vernon citizens wind up paying for this new Recreation Centre ourselves, then we have no choice but to set 2 rates - a lower rate for Vernon residents, and a higher rate for folks living in Coldstream, Areas B, C, etc.

If we cannot regionally collaborate, it is time to amalgamate.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

To OKkayak not quite 18 on the rec centre but on all the rest of big spending yes. I do not oppose them if we are given all the information before we have to vote example a business plan with costs and income would help and the just listening to the people.
To Ingevan22 are then willing to pay for my part of the taxes until all of these are paid off because I do not want to pay them as I do not use them. I grew up In Saskatoon where I would go to real museums and art centres and guess what the public never paid a cent. I am retired and at the rate the city is going they are going to tax all of out of homes and then who will pay for all this when no one is here that can afford it.
Before they ask for money the council should get out and get major business support for a minimum of 60%, but let me tell you they will want a small volume for a business plan before they agree.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

tabubil wrote:To OKkayak not quite 18 on the rec centre but on all the rest of big spending yes. I do not oppose them if we are given all the information before we have to vote example a business plan with costs and income would help and the just listening to the people.
To Ingevan22 are then willing to pay for my part of the taxes until all of these are paid off because I do not want to pay them as I do not use them. I grew up In Saskatoon where I would go to real museums and art centres and guess what the public never paid a cent. I am retired and at the rate the city is going they are going to tax all of out of homes and then who will pay for all this when no one is here that can afford it.
Before they ask for money the council should get out and get major business support for a minimum of 60%, but let me tell you they will want a small volume for a business plan before they agree.

You must try hard to be this selfish.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

You must try hard to be this selfish.[/quote]
If you call trying to ensure that future generations have the chance to live in this great town and afford a house then yes I am selfish. I am trying to hold the mayor and council to giving the public all the information that would be required by a lending institution for and loan this large, so we can make a decision basic on facts.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Investing in our own community is always a good thing.

Tabubil, have you compared Vernon's property taxes with Saskatoon's lately?
nicholas p

Post by nicholas p »

Ingevan22 wrote:Investing in our own community is always a good thing.

Yes agree with investment in local community for future generation but @what cost. Increasing property taxes of senior citizens who never use? but for younger generation who cant work but want recreation? It has to be Pay and use build under private partnership.
ajoker

Post by ajoker »

News to me only young people would use a rec centre.

That was the primary demographic in North Vancouver's rec centres, but let's pretend Vernon is different and not old as *bleep*.
nicholas p

Post by nicholas p »

ajoker wrote:News to me only young people would use a rec centre.

That was the primary demographic in North Vancouver's rec centres, but let's pretend Vernon is different and not old as *bleep*.

Instead of pretending if pay & use method is used the persons who uses it can pay let it be Senior/Youth & government can subsidize who cant afford which will reduce the property tax paid by the home owners who are mostly seniors & who are unemployed due to Covid
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

bob vernon wrote:I am very much in favour of the new rec centre and also the new cultural centre. But I want to ensure that other people in the North Okanagan pay their share. I'm sick and tired of people showing up at the swimming pool and taking advantage of the facilities without having had their taxes pay for the construction. Ditto the rinks. If you live in Lumby, Coldstream, or anywhere else in the North Okanagan, you should pay a share of the new facilities.

Back in the 1970s, the provincial NDP government forced the amalgamation of Rutland into Kelowna. It cost them political support but it was the right thing and the Okanagan doesn't vote NDP anyway. They should have continued with Coldstream and Vernon. There is no reason for freeloaders to sit on the edge of the city and take advantage of those inside the boundaries. If Coldstream and the regional district won't buck up, maybe the province should twist some arms. I know the NDP power base is on the coast and on the Island, but it's the right thing to do.

But It will be rdna referendum the way i understand it and if it passes(hope not) coldstream lavington bx /swanlake etc will all be taxed for it that being said what i hate about these things is everyone gets to vote on it not just rate payers
please feel free to correct any of what Iam assuming here
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

Ingevan22 wrote:Investing in our own community is always a good thing.

never mind that compare Vernon taxes to swanlake/bx (example) there about triple in vernon
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

just ban the non vernon freeloaders from the current rec center,
the we wont need a new one for quite a while.
ajoker

Post by ajoker »

nicholas p wrote:
ajoker wrote:News to me only young people would use a rec centre.

Instead of pretending if pay & use method is used the persons who uses it can pay let it be Senior/Youth & government can subsidize who cant afford which will reduce the property tax paid by the home owners who are mostly seniors & who are unemployed due to Covid

There are about half as many senior home-owners greater than the age of 65 in Vernon as there are under the age of 65.

I repeat, there's DOUBLE the amount of working-age home-owners in Vernon than there are (potentially) retired home-owning seniors.

Return to “North Okanagan”