Leaning goalposts need reinstallation.... again.

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Leaning goalposts need reinstallation.... again.

Post by bob vernon »

The original contractor didn't do the job correctly. And a second try also failed. Now it's going to coast $50,000 to do it right.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/31 ... stallation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO5Y1OuQIxo
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Leaning goalposts need reinstallation.... again.

Post by dogspoiler »

Have I got a deal for them. I'll come up and do nothing and I'll only charge $25.000. Such a saving. What did they do, stand that pipe up in an old paint can ?
Black Dogs Matter
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Remember back in the day, when something was done, it was done right? Man, good times, good times [icon_lol2.gif]
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Just because Vernon says it was the contractor that did it wrong. I don't always believe everything I'm told.
For example who was one that engineered how to put them in the ground? Would that have been up to the city? I don't know many contractors that do the engineering end of a project. As far as I know most contractors come in and do what is on the plans .If so the contractor would have installed it as per the plans by an engineer.
And then to not have them done right the second time also makes me wonder the same thing. Were the contractors just doing what was on the engineered plans? Had there been a new set of plans made up or did the city just say do it again?
I wouldn't let the city off so quick without knowing more of the story and I wouldn't just take the city of Vernon's word for it either. If they're the ones that screwed up with the engineering plans then they're going to try and save face and blame somebody else as all politicians seem to do.
So if there was a new method to install them the second time why wouldn't the city have overseen the installation day.? Something smells fishy. I want to know who engineered the plans to start with and who engineered any new plans for the second installation before I pass judgment on the contractor. And if it truly was the contractor that screwed up then why isn't the city going to go after them.?
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bob vernon wrote:The original contractor didn't do the job correctly. And a second try also failed. Now it's going to coast $50,000 to do it right.

clowns hiring clowns to do the job :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
nicholas p
Fledgling

Post by nicholas p »

the truth wrote:
bob vernon wrote:The original contractor didn't do the job correctly. And a second try also failed. Now it's going to coast $50,000 to do it right.

clowns hiring clowns to do the job :cuss:

Just wondering who did the final inspection from the city before releasing the amount ? The Engineering plan may be wrong as he did it on Drawing board, Contractor may have done wrong as he is not qualified enough but the certified inspectors are hired by city to confirm that the job is done up to standard.
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

It probably ole JACK FROST or back filling with what ever.... most power companies pay the price and back fill with PEA GRAVEL.... yes Very expensive but is the best material besides concrete... of course.... ho hum... some one should be given their walking ticket for such a blunder... !!
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

The sad thing is that money could have been spent on a scoreboard. It boggles my mind that a soccer/football field doesn't have a scoreboard. For some reason Kamloops can afford this on almost every baseball diamond etc. at Macarthur park.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

the truth wrote: clowns hiring clowns to do the job :cuss:
Sometimes "City engeneer department" think they have all the answers, is it posible they just do not?? Somene else made a good point, who stamped it.

Lastly is there something special about placing goal posts??
nicholas p
Fledgling

Post by nicholas p »

Ken7 wrote:
the truth wrote: clowns hiring clowns to do the job :cuss:
Sometimes "City engeneer department" think they have all the answers, is it posible they just do not?? Somene else made a good point, who stamped it.

Lastly is there something special about placing goal posts??
When erecting a object in ground the ground has to be inspected to stability b'coz if the foundation is on unstable ground the accident is confirmed like it may collapse. With respect to the goal post ,the ground was not inspected for stability as it may be erected on loose ground or may be where clay existed which caused it to lean towards the side where the weight was more and no action is taken it will collapse .
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's definitely a case of just when they figure it out someone moves the goal post! :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The goalposts in question in Vernon are this kind that can be rotated out of the way so the field can be used for other sports besides football. Like soccer, field lacrosse, and field hockey. These posts MUST be installed properly with a big enough mass underground to prevent any tipping. Once they start to lean without the mass underground, every time they are rotated will cause a further lean. City Hall needs to have someone on site demanding that contractors do the job right.

dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

quote ::City Hall needs to have someone on site demanding that contractors do the job right.

LOL well obviously they have no such person because this will be the third time and to add if this was a private structure owned by private company this whole deal would have been paid for by the negligent company and it would have been done correctly the first time and or the second time for sure
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Maybe the city should hire those people running around installing monoliths. [icon_lol2.gif]
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “North Okanagan”