Waste of real Search and Rescue's Time

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Waste of real Search and Rescue's Time

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: It’s impossible to fix stupid people.
common_sense_guy wrote: Wow ,lovely comment how you paint everybody with one brush. Because accidents don't happen in everyday life do they.
We don't have enough victim shaming in life already do we.
My comment is towards idiots who call search and rescue... instead of a tow truck.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

common_sense_guy wrote:
GordonH wrote:It’s impossible to fix stupid people.
Wow ,lovely comment how you paint everybody with one brush. Because accidents don't happen in everyday life do they.
The drift of the Castanet story, and the one on the TV news was that some adventure seekers with apparently inadequate knowledge, poor planning and inadequate equipment decided to embark on a back road trip on icy snowy roads. The poor weather conditions were expected.

Upon becoming stuck, the adventure seekers decided their best course of action was to call up more people, who apparently did not plan the rescue well and did not equip themselves sufficiently, when the first wave of "rescuers" became stuck they call yet another group of rescuers, who also became stuck.

Sounds to me to be the definition of stupid.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

A steep mountain road covered in ice.........what could possibly go wrong
We used to walk out of similar situations, never thought of calling for help, we weren't programmed that way.
But these days it is best to call , and call early.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

Worked in very remote locations for many years. If we got stuck, lost, whatever, there was no SAR and no RCMP to call. If we were lucky we had a sat phone, but in the earlier years it was an SSB back at camp. So what was your backup? Survival gear in a backpack, and thinking about what you were doing. I never had to spend a night curled up under a tree, and part of that was due to watching the weather and being mindful of how quickly things can turn. Some good ol' fashioned luck thrown in there too. I agree that there is a very cavalier attitude towards 'backcountry' touring. If you don't have the right gear, don't go. That includes the vehicle type, accessories, and some basic knowledge of off-road driving. Throw a proper survival pack in the truck, on the back of the skidoo. Waterproof rucksack with change of clothes, food, fuel, first aid and you can make a night easily if need be. I got trucks and skidoos stuck plenty of times, in fact we got skidoos stuck almost every day because we rarely drove on established trails. We figured out how to get them out. A little tip, have someone pull the skis. Cripes, get on the internet and learn how to get out of it before you get into it. Kids will be kids, but there's no reason for them to be ignorant kids, unless we allow it to happen.
polelady
Board Meister

Post by polelady »

Update :https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/329936 ... ors#329936

REALLY !!!!
They say search and rescue crews attended an average of about 1,500 callouts in previous years, more than the rest of Canada combined.

Seems to point the finger at !!!! Unprepared back country ???? Or maybe I am jumping the gun... and BC has to many places to get lost etc... Not like the landscape of other provinces.... ho hum... maybe a day permit is next in line !
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

polelady wrote: Update :https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/329936 ... ors#329936

REALLY !!!!
They say search and rescue crews attended an average of about 1,500 callouts in previous years, more than the rest of Canada combined.

Seems to point the finger at !!!! Unprepared back country ???? Or maybe I am jumping the gun... and BC has to many places to get lost etc... Not like the landscape of other provinces.... ho hum... maybe a day permit is next in line !
You are probably correct on the assumption of being very poorly prepared for the backcountry, with majority.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

GordonH wrote:
GordonH wrote: It’s impossible to fix stupid people.
common_sense_guy wrote: Wow ,lovely comment how you paint everybody with one brush. Because accidents don't happen in everyday life do they.
My comment is towards idiots who call search and rescue... instead of a tow truck.
Well with all due respect I consider a person an idiot when they make a judgment call and they're not there to be in the situation themselves. I don't believe your comment has any value other than to shame other people in a situation you know nothing about other than what you read. We need less of that
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Return to “North Okanagan”